Star Control Discussion Board

All About Star Control
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:56 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: SC2 Loops
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:30 pm 
ZFP Peacekeeper

Pinkie has a party cannon that shoots confetti. Other than that, they're just messing with him.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:22 pm 
Atum-ta the Sixth

Huh, I thought that was a direct reference to the Stinger's main gun.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:56 pm 
ZFP Peacekeeper

I took that to be too obvious to mention in this context.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:44 pm 
Slylandro gasbags

*********** REVISED VERSION *************

From Loop 3:

“Thank you, Doctor. Keep me informed.”

“Aye, Captain.”

“Computer, resume log... So, where was I? Oh, yeah... so like I was saying, it's so infuriating to know what we need to accomplish, but with everything we’ve been witnessing and with all of the very strange events occurring within the past few months, I feel as if our entire universe is crumbling apart, and I have no idea how or why!

We're currently en route for Starbase at maximum speed, but I doubt they'll even be able to help us once we arrive... if we can get there in time. At this point, I'm not even sure if their facilities will make one iota of a difference anyway. When did it all go wrong? How come I didn't see the signs? Or were they there all along? Come to think of it, it definitely all started when we found ourselves back in Sol after our long journey from Vela... again...

Since we seem to be in some sort of time paradox that we haven’t been able to ascertain how or why, the only thing we all felt we could do was accomplish what we know. We started taking care of our “grocery list”, such as recruiting Fwiffo on Pluto, getting the materials from the Moon base, meeting with the Pkunk and obtaining their Clear Spindle, meeting up with Captain Tanaka and even Admiral ZEX, to name a few. Heck! We even stopped off at Mercury prior to heading for Starbase since we already knew having some radioactives on hand would expedite restoring power to the station much more quickly. We also planned a little ambush for the unsuspecting, uncloaked Ilwrath vessel...heh heh heh.

There was something... different though... worse than that really... something wrong, as if we were in some kind of alternate universe, and evidence of this was popping up in subtle circumstances, even before we had left Sol. For example, I noticed on more than one occasion that some of the minerals were different elements, almost as if they had been replaced; tungsten instead of nickel, chromium instead of cobalt, etcetera. I figured it was just me remembering stuff wrong, and besides, the minerals start looking the same after awhile, so whatever. Some of the lifeforms we found later had different appearances as well, like they were some a weird hybrid we hadn’t seen before. I tried to shrug it off and justified it as witnessing new kinds of life we must've missed somehow.

But we pressed on, fulfilling our ‘to-do list’ of various tasks to perform as we went from place to place, fully aware of what we would encounter when we arrived and how to proceed accordingly to meet our objectives. Everything seemed to be going according to plan, since we had already obtained the Clear Spindle and Taalo Shield, and we were on our way to Mycon space to obtain a few Egg Cases when we ran into some trouble:

We were venturing near Beta Brahe, when we began to pass through a small nebula, and engineering reported in and informed us that our shields were failing. Not good. Tangling up with a Podship without shields is a death sentence -- one touch from a plasmoid will decimate a ship’s hull in seconds without proper shielding to absorb the blast and maintain hull integrity!

I ordered us to come about and set course for Betelgeuse instead, and, oddly enough, our shields became fully functional once we had departed the nebula. Curious... our shields had never given us any trouble before, but at the time I dismissed it as being either a glitch in our defensive systems or there must have been something unique about that particular nebula, so I ordered a level two diagnostic as we resumed our mission.

Several weeks later, we entered orbit of a large ruby world, and I sent down the lander to retrieve the valuable exotic minerals. To my ghastly surprise, the lander was immediately crushed by the planet’s extreme gravity! It seemed absurd, considering there was never a time or place that I could remember where we had seen a planet with high enough gravity that would create unsafe landing conditions, with the notable exception of gas planets, whereas onboard safety protocols will prevent a lander from being dispatched.

However, I could’ve sworn that we had been to this exact planet and its gravity was perfectly safe then, but for whatever reason, it no longer was. At that point it began to occur to me that there was something not quite right, but what exactly that was, or furthermore, what to do about it... was a big swing and miss.

Then, less than a week ago, we encountered a probe. We had already blown up scores of the periodic nuisances, but this encounter threw us another curve. First of all, the probe looked much different, even though it still had most of its former attributes, but it also had the addition of a large satellite dish protruding out of the front along with a couple of antennas that stuck out of an added fuselage which covered more than half of it to the point that only one of its tumbling red balls was visible.

After we established communications, I was not prepared for the unusual response they gave. Their transmission was unlike anything they’d ever said before… In fact, Computer! Replay the very last transmission we received from the Slylandro Probe and continue log recording.”

“Retrieving Flight Recorder One One Six…

Processing…processing…ready. January Seventh, Twenty-One Fifty-Six, at Sixteen Forty-Four Point Twenty-Seven…

Replay in three…two…one…begin:

‘WE COME IN PEACE.’

‘What’s the use? I bet regardless of what I say, you’ll just attack.’

‘PLANET THREE FOUR SEVEN SIX TWO R M - THIRD PLANET OF SEVEN - SYSTEM COORDINATES ONE HUNDRED SIXTY-THREE BY ONE HUNDRED NINETEEN - LIFEBEARING - BIO-DENSITY HIGH - MINERAL DENSITY MEDIUM TO LOW - CODED DATA B R NINE SEVEN SEVEN TWO THREE… ZERO ONE ONE…ONE…THREE FOUR SEVEN…SIX Q S EIGHT…EIGHTY TWO…ELEVEN A R TWENTY-TWO… ZERO ZERO ZERO - ENDING TRANSMISSION.’

End of Flight Recorder One One Six.”

“The most astonishing part is that after they transmitted their data, they reversed course and flew away without attacking! Not that I’m complaining or anything, but we all stood there in awe for a moment as the probe drifted away, and I waited until they were completely out of range before standing down from red alert status. Not only that, but the coordinates they gave us were smack dab in the middle of space, the closest star being Gamma Centauri, which still fell many, many light years from there.

I scratched my head but ultimately accepted my science officer’s assessment that this particular probe must not be malfunctioning in the same manner as the others we had encountered before, so this one must be different somehow. While part of me agrees with him, there was another part of me, deep down in my gut, that knew it was something much bigger than that. I should’ve gone with my instincts, not that it would’ve made any difference.

Which brings us to our current predicament. Inexplicably, four of our crew have undergone dramatic changes in their bodies, and nobody can figure out how or why. Our chief medical officer’s latest report indicates that their DNA sequencing is somehow changing, rearranging itself, resulting in a strange ‘metamorphosis’ of sorts.

The doctor says they’ve all taken on aquatic properties: their skin has become slick and rubbery, their eyes have started to swell and enlarge, and the eye sockets have begun to slowly shift towards the sides of their heads. They’ve also developed gills and can no longer breathe regular air, so the doctor has them submerged in water in sickbay, regulating all of their vital signs and monitoring this bizarre transformation they are undergoing.

The most affected by this phenomenon is Ensign Montgomery, and his condition is rapidly worsening. If none of our doctors can determine the cause to what could possibly be happening, I’m afraid there’s not much else we can do but stand by and watch helplessly as he and the others---”

“BEEP!!!”

“Captain!”

“Yes, Doctor!”

“You may want to come take a look at this, sir.”

“On my way.”

(A few minutes later, in Sickbay)

“Doctor, how is he?”

“Not well… just see for yourself.”

“Oh my God! He’s turned into a giant squid! What’s that sound he’s making?”

“I think he’s trying to say something. I’ll put it through the universal translator… it should be coming through now…”

“REPENT AIR BREATHERS!”

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 2:16 pm 
ZFP Peacekeeper

Okay, so it's either variant loop or someone looped in as someone. I do not catch the reference, though. Also, I added some more notes about the setting in the first post.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 7:54 pm 
Slylandro gasbags

Death 999 wrote:
Okay, so it's either variant loop or someone looped in as someone. I do not catch the reference, though.

I gave it a week before replying; I was secretly holding out in the hopes that somebody would recognize the reference and comment. It comes from Starflight, and I was trying to incorporate the two ideas together into an independent loop where the two gaming worlds collided, creating a blend of both games in this particular loop.

That's why I described the Slylandro probe dramatic changes (from Starflight's nomad probes) and the planet's gravity crushing a lander (an event that can end the game immediately in SF for any unwary traveler). The minerals and lifeforms are different as well, and in SF, your shields won't function within nebulae. And as for the crew, some them are transforming into Gazurtoid, a hostile, xenophobic race of religious squids who feel the need to raise their tentacles and smite the unworthy air breathers.

That being said, I feel that this mini-story should be considered experimental and therefore invalid. I came up with the idea and felt I'd at least give it a shot, but I realize now that I'm probably not following the proper format that you intended for this HS.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 1:48 pm 
ZFP Peacekeeper

Well, you can definitely, definitely do a fusion loop with Starflight. A few notes for that:

1) cut out the existential doubt parts.

2) fusion loops are relatively rare, so now that it's not a central aspect of everything that he's worried about fiddly details like the end of the universe, we can push it back to 500th loop or something.

3) He'd have gradually increasing excitement at seeing things different from usual.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 2:19 pm 
ZFP Peacekeeper

Ryoga woke on the bridge of a shiny starship. A quick review of his loop memories suggested it was pathetically slow and weakly armed compared to some things he had in his pocket. Indeed, it was pathetically slow and weak compared to any other ship from this world… so far. It had some potential.

He sent out a ping… nothing. Huh. Either the anchor hadn't 'woken' yet, . Or perhaps was just asleep in the more conventional sense. Or it was a new anchor altogether, one who did not yet know how to ping.

He was on his own, for the time being. In a new world. This would be great!

He set course for Earth.

As they were proceeding out past Uranus, one of the bridge crew finally asked, "Sir, where are we going?"

"Earth."

"We passed it half an hour ago, and didn't come within an AU of it."

"Oh. Let me get turned around, then…"

Two hours later, they were at Pluto. This had involved him doing 720° worth of donuts (out of the plane of the system) and proceeding in nearly the same direction as before.

The scan of the surface yielded a bit of a surprise. One of the old crew from the Tobermoon spoke out of turn - "What IS that? A modified Eluder? And it's changing!" Indeed, as they scanned it, shield modules and additional weapons systems deployed on the surface in seemingly-impossible rates.

But momentarily Fwiffo appeared on the screen. "Hello, captain! I'll be right up!"

After getting the introductions sorted out, Ryoga again set course for Earth. Fwiffo, it seemed, was this loop's usual anchor, who was having a blast being something different from usual. Ryoga extracted a promise not to explain anything detailed, so he could experience it fresh. He again set out for Earth.

"Well, as long as we're at Io, we might as well do some mining."

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:15 pm 
Slylandro gasbags

Death 999 wrote:
Well, you can definitely, definitely do a fusion loop with Starflight. A few notes for that:

1) cut out the existential doubt parts.

2) fusion loops are relatively rare, so now that it's not a central aspect of everything that he's worried about fiddly details like the end of the universe, we can push it back to 500th loop or something.

3) He'd have gradually increasing excitement at seeing things different from usual.

Thanks for the feedback, and I'll definitely take your constructive criticism into consideration for any future stories. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:32 pm 
ZFP Peacekeeper

Okay, everyone but Trog has a chance to remember poor Splib, the pet dog we mention at one point. I imagine that sometimes he's real, and sometimes he's not, but I can't figure out how to write something interesting around that idea.