SC2 Loops

Do you want to *play* with us camper? This is where *fun games* are had!

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Re: SC2 Loops

Post by The Troglodyte » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:11 pm

Hey Death 999! I’m not really sure if I’m fitting the proper format or anything, but I’ve read through, and although I’m still a bit confused to how this all works, I’ll go ahead and throw something out there, humbly submitted for your approval:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jun 18, 2156; From Loop 146:

Is this thing on? I can't tell. Well, there is a red blinky light flashing that wasn't there before, so maybe it is. Anyway, Hello? Hello? Can you hear me? I hope so, because I'm not going to say all of this again, that's for sure!

So... Dear mister little machine box thingy that is supposed to record everything I say,

How are you? I hope you are fine. How am I? Oh, how nice of you to ask! I am what you would call NOT fine! Not even in the slightest!

I've been stuck here now for quite some time and I'm pretty sure that things are not going so well. How have I come to that conclusion, you ask? Oh, little recording device, you ask such delightful, intriguing questions! Well, I have arrived at my conclusion since I'm supposed to be flying my ship alongside many other ones right about now, gallivanting around the galaxy in an attempt, albeit suicidal, to rid the universe of tyranny, that's why!

But... for some unknown reason, several months ago, almost half a year if I recall, I woke up back here on this desolate hunk of ice!

At first, I figured it was all some kind of elaborate dream, where I must have merely imagined being approached by a group of hunam space rogues who convinced me to come along for some kind of great adventure like Bilbo Baggins in the Hobbit. Wait, how am I aware of him? Oh yeah! Because that was one of the first videos (the cartoon version of course) Captain Zelnick ever made me watch while trying to convince me I'm much like Bilbo! Well, that's all fine by me... as long as I don't ever have to confront an awful dragon... or steal from it... or be in the same room as it... or smell it.

So there's absolutely no way it was all a dream, while even though much of my memories may still be a bit foggy in my head, and my vision gets blurry and I start seeing double as if I suddenly have binocular vision or something, but so much of it is still there... and it was definitely REAL!

Well, I think the real point I'm trying to make Mr. Recorder is that Zelnick is supposed to show up... but he hasn't. WHY??? Where are you? I just hope he didn't show up while I was away... Uh-oh!

Uh, you see, the truth is, well... when Zelnick didn't show up right away around the time he did before, I thought maybe it would be a good idea to be ready for his arrival, so I spent almost two months rigging up the StarRunner for flight and configured all of the ship's main systems to be fully-automated with just a touch of a button from my chair.

Yup! I have a button and lever for just about anything! I press this button and... Poof! Engine thrusters on! This button! Boom! Rear Torpedoes Fire! This lever! Yoink! A feeding tube drops from the ceiling and slug juice goes directly in my mouth! Ahhhhh! That's the stuff!

But even after all of that hard work, he still didn't show up! So I thought that maybe I would have a quick looksy... so I launched the StarRunner and started looking around, hopping from planet to planet, and since I already knew that Zelnick and company had already cleared out this system, I scanned every planet I passed by. But to my dismay, they still had all of their mineral deposits on the surface. Darn.

Then, after days followed by weeks went by, I thought maybe it would be okay to venture a little bit closer to Earth, but all I could see was the slave shield, the Starbase, and the moon where we had rigged up all of those bulldozers to push around piles of dirt. Then, the chatter coming from the communications station we set up sure did give me a fright though! I almost came out my shell! By the time I calmed down, I was back on Pluto, in my ship, huddled in its deepest corner, in the hunam baby fetal position, with the lights out, crying.

I almost got up the nerve to go back and approach the Starbase and talk to Hayes, and I was really about to do it... really, but on my way, I remembered how several crew members had told me about the first battle they had with the Ilwrath, which happened shortly after making contact with Commander Hayes so... I decided not to go through with it. I also had a headache.

So, anyways, I'm just sitting here, back on Pluto, twiddling my claws, waiting for somebody to swing by and pick me up.

Waiting, ever-so-patiently,

Fwiffo
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:49 am

That was a great telling of the beginning of Fwiffo's first awake loop! Nice!

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:17 pm

(Loop 130)

Orz marines streamed towards the Vindicator as Zelnick finished compiling his mental notes on the encounter. I did learn some new things before they had had enough. Maybe if I slow down my pressing the issue a bit?

Without conscious thought he fired and destroyed the first, third, and fifth through seventh. The Nemesis swooped a little too close and it too fell. But due to his distraction, he had allowed five marines on board.

The ship-to-ship portion of the battle over, he viewed where they had been boarded - fortunately, one of the cargo bays, and they were moving towards the bridge. I found that Milwa works, so the others should too... On the intercom he issued the ship-wide announcement, "All hands, avoid the intruders. Security, hold back and attack on my command." Off the intercom, he commanded, "Lewis, use the forcefields to protect our gear but let them come this way. Everyone else, stay here."

Lewis complied, understanding that there had to be some sort of plan involved. Others who weren't busy, however, were left wondering what it might be, and just what plan might require the captain leaving the bridge. It wasn't completely crazy, since he'd had them all wear armor for this fight, and he himself had taken a rifle, but it was one of the odder things he'd done.

As he dashed down the corridor, he spoke: "Maporfic." He came to the main hangar just as they blew the back door up. The force fields were overloaded, but by letting the blast wash over the empty space of the hangar, they managed to protect the fleeing crew from it before failing. On the intercom, Zelnick commanded, "Security team, attack once to get their attention, then fall behind cover until ordered." Off the comm, he repeated "Bamatu" and took cover himself behind a block of iron. The Orz advance was suspended as the security team fired on them from both flanks and above, getting their attention. Then the return fire was ineffective, as none of the security team were exposed any more. The Orz hustled out to find the source of the momentary return fire, but found no one.

After Zelnick had said 'Bamatu' six times in total, he threw in a 'Mamorlis' and, on the comms, ordered, 'Attack.'

The fight was extremely one-sided, with ten misses by the invaders and ten direct hits making five kills from the Vindicator's security forces.

Zelnick jogged down the route they had taken, and came to the bodies of the crew they'd killed on the way there. Can't even tell who this is. I kept it subtle during the fight, but there isn't really a need. I can talk my way out of it. Probably.

He made the gestures, intoned "Di", and kept focus. The first crewman floated up and began glowing. Shortly he was recognizably Hourin. After half a minute, he floated back down to the ground - still in pretty bad shape, and still dead. There was a spark, and he groaned.

"Madi". Hourin's injuries vanished.

Turning to the amazed security team, he said, "So, I neglected to mention that I'm a master of wizardry. How about I take care of the others and then fill you in on that?"

(For those who don't recognize the names, he apparently looped into Wizardry (which doesn't have native loopers) and picked up some abilities that won't normally be useful in his home loop). NB: power creep on one side while leaving other side static is OK in loop settings. The fun mostly comes from goofy situations or the kinds of problems that more power can't solve. THAT SAID, I have some long term plans... if I ever get around to them...)

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:16 pm

Loop 130, continued:

Zelnick looked down to Crow. The presently-dead pkunk had been in his fleet, on and off, for decades of his subjective time, and roughly a year of Crow's. To rectify this imbalance, Crow was attempting an experiment. Which involved dying.

And it was time to reverse that. Zelnick looked up to Tifiwilo, the arilou observing in the corner. It will be somewhat embarrassing if this doesn't work… "Di."

Tifiwilo raised one eyebrow slightly as Crow began the revival process. After a minute, the pkunk was alive again. After a Dios to get him back on his legs, he said, "Captain, I can remember... some things. It's not clear like your memories of earlier loops, but I could see it. And I can still remember it."

"Really! That... seems very useful!" But did he really? They have a tendency to exaggerate...

The pkunk took several deep breaths. "Perhaps. I will be a little more cautious about the fireballs around the Sa-Matra next time, I think."

Scratch that. Highly specific information I haven't told him, that lines up with what I remember, is good.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:26 pm

From Loop 217:

“Thank you, Doctor. Keep me informed.”

“Aye, Captain.”

“Computer, resume log... So, where was I? Oh, yeah... so like I was saying, it's so infuriating to know what we need to accomplish, but with everything we’ve been witnessing and with all of the very strange events occurring within the past few months, I feel as if our entire universe is crumbling apart, and I have no idea how or why!

We're currently en route for Starbase at maximum speed, but I doubt they'll even be able to help us once we arrive... if we can get there in time. At this point, I'm not even sure if their facilities will make one iota of a difference anyway. When did it all go wrong? How come I didn't see the signs? Or were they there all along? Come to think of it, it definitely all started when we found ourselves back in Sol after our long journey from Vela... again...

It was all very bewildering as I recall; something like a weird sense of knowing that we’ve been here before, possibly many times over, but I could remember much of what we had done before, and several interviews with various members of the crew revealed that many of the crew can recall those events as well, including some of those onboard the Tobermoon, while others can’t recollect anything whatsoever.

For myself, much of what had transpired was quite clear indeed, such as already knowing about Fwiffo on Pluto, the Moon base, the Pkunk, Captain Tanaka, and even Admiral ZEX, to name a few. Heck! We even stopped off at Mercury prior to heading for Starbase since we already knew having some radioactives on hand would expedite restoring power to the station much more quickly. We also planned a little ambush for the unsuspecting, uncloaked Ilwrath vessel...heh heh heh.

There was something... different though... worse than that really... something wrong, as if we were in some kind of alternate universe, and evidence of this was popping up in subtle circumstances, even before we had left Sol. For example, I noticed on more than one occasion that some of the minerals were different elements, almost as if they had been replaced... tungsten instead of nickel, chromium instead of cobalt, etcetera. I figured it was just me remembering stuff wrong, and besides, all of the minerals start looking the same after awhile, so whatever. Some of the lifeforms we found later had different appearances as well, like they were some kind of hybrid we hadn’t seen before. I tried to shrug it off and justified it as witnessing new kinds of life we must've missed somehow.

But we pressed on, and it seemed as if we were fulfilling some kind of ‘to-do list’ of various tasks to perform as we went from place to place, fully aware of what we would encounter when we arrived and how to proceed accordingly to meet our objectives. Everything seemed to be going according to plan, since we had already obtained the Clear Spindle and Taalo Shield, and we were on our way to Mycon space to obtain a few Egg Cases when we ran into some trouble:

We were venturing near Beta Brahe, when we began to pass through a small nebula, and engineering reported in and informed us that our shields were failing. Not good. Tangling up with a Podship without shields is a death sentence -- one touch from a plasmoid will decimate a ship’s hull in seconds without proper shielding to absorb the blast and maintain hull integrity!

I ordered us to come about and set course for Betelgeuse instead, and, oddly enough, our shields became fully functional once we had departed the nebula. Curious... our shields had never given us any trouble before, but at the time I dismissed it as being either a glitch in our defensive systems or there must have been something unique about that particular nebula, so I ordered a level two diagnostic as we resumed our mission.

Several weeks later, we entered orbit of a large ruby world, and I sent down the lander to retrieve the valuable exotic minerals. To my ghastly surprise, the lander was immediately crushed by the planet’s extreme gravity! It seemed absurd, considering there was never a time or place that I could remember where we had seen a planet with high enough gravity that would create unsafe landing conditions, with the notable exception of gas planets, whereas onboard safety protocols will prevent a lander from being dispatched.

However, I could’ve sworn that we had been to this exact planet and its gravity was perfectly safe then, but for whatever reason, it no longer was. At that point it began to occur to me that there was something not quite right, but what exactly that was, or furthermore, what to do about it... was a big swing and miss.

Then, less than a week ago, we encountered a probe. We had already blown up scores of the periodic nuisances, but this encounter threw us another curve. First of all, the probe looked much different, even though it still had most of its former attributes, but it also had the addition of a large satellite dish protruding out of the front along with a couple of antennas that stuck out of an added fuselage which covered more than half of it to the point that only one of its tumbling red balls was visible.

After we established communications, I was not prepared for the unusual response they gave. Their transmission was unlike anything they’d ever said before… In fact, Computer! Replay the very last transmission we received from the Slylandro Probe and continue log recording.”

“Retrieving Flight Recorder One One Six…

Processing…processing…ready. January Seventh, Twenty-One Fifty-Six, at Sixteen Forty-Four Point Twenty-Seven…

Replay in three…two…one…begin:

‘WE COME IN PEACE.’

‘What’s the use? I bet regardless of what I say, you’ll just attack.’

‘PLANET THREE FOUR SEVEN SIX TWO R M - THIRD PLANET OF SEVEN - SYSTEM COORDINATES ONE HUNDRED SIXTY-THREE BY ONE HUNDRED NINETEEN - LIFEBEARING - BIO-DENSITY HIGH - MINERAL DENSITY MEDIUM TO LOW - CODED DATA B R NINE SEVEN SEVEN TWO THREE… ZERO ONE ONE…ONE…THREE FOUR SEVEN…SIX Q S EIGHT…EIGHTY TWO…ELEVEN A R TWENTY-TWO… ZERO ZERO ZERO - ENDING TRANSMISSION.’

End of Flight Recorder One One Six.”

“The most astonishing part is that after they transmitted their data, they reversed course and flew away without attacking! Not that I’m complaining or anything, but we all stood there in awe for a moment as the probe drifted away, and I waited until they were completely out of range before standing down from red alert status. Not only that, but the coordinates they gave us were smack dab in the middle of space, the closest star being Gamma Centauri, which still fell many, many light years from there.

I scratched my head but ultimately accepted my science officer’s assessment that this particular probe must not be malfunctioning in the same manner as the others we had encountered before, so this one must be different somehow. While part of me agrees with him, there was another part of me, deep down in my gut, that knew it was something much bigger than that. I should’ve gone with my instincts, not that it would’ve made any difference.

Which brings us to our current predicament. Inexplicably, four of our crew have undergone some kind of dramatic change in their bodies, and nobody can figure out why. Our chief medical officer’s latest report indicates that their DNA sequencing is somehow changing, rearranging itself, resulting in some kind of ‘metamorphosis.’

The doctor says they’ve all taken on aquatic properties: their skin has become slick and rubbery, their eyes have started to swell and enlarge, and the eye sockets have begun to slowly shift towards the sides of their heads. They’ve also developed gills and can no longer breathe regular air, so the doctor has them submerged in water in sickbay, regulating all of their vital signs and monitoring this bizarre transformation they are undergoing.

The most affected by this phenomenon is Ensign Montgomery, and his condition is rapidly worsening. If none of our doctors can determine the cause to what could possibly be happening, I’m afraid there’s not much else we can do but stand by and watch helplessly as he and the others---”

“BEEP!!!”

“Captain!”

“Yes, Doctor!”

“You may want to come take a look at this, sir.”

“On my way.”
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:23 pm

Ah. Er. I could see that as loop 3 or something, but not later than that. First off, he finds out in loop 20 what the rules of the loops are, and will no longer find the whole phenomenon especially mysterious. The existence of minor variant loops would not be a surprise.

Second, he wouldn't have that reaction to variant probes after, well, the first time he reached a positive outcome for the sector as a whole. You haven't played enough to see why, I'm afraid.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:13 pm

Death 999 wrote:Ah. Er. I could see that as loop 3 or something, but not later than that. First off, he finds out in loop 20 what the rules of the loops are, and will no longer find the whole phenomenon especially mysterious. The existence of minor variant loops would not be a surprise.
Second, he wouldn't have that reaction to variant probes after, well, the first time he reached a positive outcome for the sector as a whole. You haven't played enough to see why, I'm afraid.
I thought I might have been pressing the envelope on this one, but it was a story sequence that manifested in my brain… so I took a chance. Perhaps your preferred format isn’t as open-ended as I may have believed it to be, but I would be happy to make any appropriate changes or omissions if you’d like to discuss further. There's a definite theme I was trying to establish here, and it has to do with cross-over. Could you tell which? If not, part 2 is supposed to fill in those blanks even moreso.

I must admit that I basically picked a number out of thin air for the loop sequence, since I figured it wasn’t of major consequence, plus I wanted to stay far out of the way of other loops. Being such, I also applied (or at least thought I applied) the arbitrary variant rule which I thought would allow me the freedom of having control of my own alternate loop universe, therefore giving me control of the characters' memories (which is why I kept it unclear as to how may times Zelnick knew how many times he had already looped as well as the crew) which would create a space for literary indulgences, rather than an approach that required following a standard set of rules. My bad.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:20 pm

Perhaps the simplest solution would be changing it to be loop 3?

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:23 pm

It's open-ended, yes. But it's not open-beginning-ed. There is one Zelnick that has experiences in one subjective order. There are many things he would not forget, like what's up with the probes.

On the other hand, there are things he would only memorize after many, many repetitions, like tungsten vs nickel in specific locations.

SO, mainly, I would mainly suggest finishing the game before writing characters who know about things from the end of the game, and once you do, keep in mind what he knows as he goes along.

I guess I could reproduce the less spoilery parts of loop 20 here for reference...

~~~~

Captain Zelnick ran his fingers over the command chair's arm-rest as he debated what argument he'd try this time. The Zoq-Fot-Pik were remarkably hard to minimize the losses of. In twenty loops, he'd only once managed to get them to completely cancel their near-suicidal scouting missions deep into the heart of the Ur-Quan Doctrinal War, and he wasn't entirely sure how he'd done it then. {insert massive spoiler}

With a deep breath, he opened the channel. "Hellllllwhat."

With a smile, the white unicorn at the left gave her violet mane a toss and said, "I take it you're looping."

The pink pony at the right gave a broad smile and screamed, "Woo! Humans! I knew we'd get humans sooner or later! Ni-ice ship! For this universe, anyway."

Zelnick blinked.

"Sir?", lieutenant Fenson asked. "What's wrong?" The rest of the bridge crew was even more nervous, but keeping quiet - up until now, the captain had been preternaturally confident and effective in dealing with aliens.

The question helped reset Zelnick. He got up out of his seat and closed in on the main viewscreen as if it would actually help him see them more clearly. "Uh. Right. I'm Captain Zelnick of the New Alliance of Free Stars. We, uh... I'm sorry, who ARE you?"

The one at the right blurted, "Pikkie Pie, but you can call me Pinkie!"

At the left, "I am Rarity, a..." she paused, amused "'Zoq'. Which is a fancy way of saying 'unicorn', it seems."

The middle one said, "I'm Fottershy..."

Zelnick staggered. "You TALK?"

"... I'm sorry? I messed that up, didn't I? I'll be quiet now."

The other two swarmed in on her, Rarity making soothing sounds. "Oh, Fluttershy, he doesn't mean you shouldn't. He was just... impressed!"

Pinkie turned and came in close to the camera. "You're making Fluttershy cry. And do you know what we do with people who make Fluttershy cry?"

Zelnick sat down hard in the seat. "Allow them to apologize and start over?"

Pinkie thought for a moment. "Hmm. I was thinking 'antimatter confetti', but yours is better."

Zelnick sighed in relief, and stared at the quivering pegasus. "I'm sorry? I just..." he trailed off. No good explanation for this came to mind.

Pinkie interrupted, "You had this vivid dream where you were in a time loop and everything was always the same and you knew ahead of time what would happen and you could learn what worked and didn't work, and you were getting really good at it, and then we showed up instead of the Zoq-Fot-Pik and it was like Hello-what?"

Zelnick was about to concur when Pinkie amended, "Actually, it was more of a Hellllllwhat?"

"Ahem. Yes, that pretty much sums it up." He held up a finger to put off the bridge crew's urgent questions, and turned back to the aliens. "So... who are you and where are you from?"

Rarity replied, "Why don't you come down, or we come up, and we'll have a nice long chat about that?"

"As soon as I've explained to my crew, yes."

~~~~

{insert colossal mass of spoilers and end-game strategy}

~~~~

Zelnick opened the channel, more hopeful about meeting Talana than ever before. Some day, she could actually remember him.

His hopes came crashing down. The woman on the screen was definitely Talana, all right. But... "Fllrgl!"

Taluna shifted her wings. "I'm impressed. That's even less coherent than the average first utterance by a human captain on making contact with Syreen."

~~~~

{insert lots of plot spoilers for things you've started doing but haven't finished}

~~~~

{this segment occurs well after the plot rails have been thoroughly broken in this loop, so it's not a spoiler}

"I don't need it to be big. A grain of sand would be enough." Captain Zelnick tried his best to look sternly at the 3 meter tall crystal shimmering with electrical energy who went by the name of 'Diamond Tiara', who had elected to part with the other Chenjesu and join him in his fleet, since she was really a pony. "I could really use having those blueprints from day 1."

He looked aside to Silver Spoon, who had similarly abandoned the other Mrnmhrm; she whirred and spun before replying, "A pocket is hard to develop in a science-based setting, compared to magic-based settings." Her voice sounded odd, a natural young feminine voice coming from a telescoping robot with no other features analogous to any living thing he could think of.

Zelnick retorted, "This world has telepathic reading, mind control, and clairvoyance. I've heard of mountains made of thoughts. What more do we need?"

"Telekinesis would help. Being a species with affinity to any of those things would help more."

With a spark, Diamond Tiara activated her voice synthesizer. "OF COURSE WE CAN TRY. IT WILL TAKE A LONG TIME, THOUGH - MULTIPLE LOOPS. PERHAPS THE MOST USEFUL THING WOULD BE TO FIND THE LOCAL FIGURES WHO ALREADY KNOW ENOUGH TO HELP YOU PRACTICE."

"Yup. Then we'll drill the parts they don't know into you."

Zelnick swallowed. "This is going to involve learning from the Pkunk, isn't it? Joy."

"Yes, and if you can convince them, the Arilou. But I think you should start with the Syreen."

Zelnick considered. "Well, if there was anything I could do that would convince the crew it's okay to take a year and a half or so off from this war, it's shore leave with the Syreen."

Diamond Tiara again crackled with electricity, to say, "DO NOT 'FORGET' TO MOVE ON TO THE PKUNK AND ARILOU."

"All right, all right!"

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:23 pm

Ok, I think I get it now. Very interesting examples. I don't even know why I made Zelnick's memory foggy, I guess it just fit better in my head (plus I'm a sucker for writing stuff by parachuting the reader into chaos and confusion ;) )or maybe I was subconsciously trying to account for how I don't know the whole story yet, so leaving it out of my particular Zelnick seemed necessary, but it really wasn't -- I could've easily wrote it differently to fit the repetitive cycle more appropriately, so I'll try to do so in the future. Perhaps when I finish part 2 I'll submit a revised version of part 1 at the same time.

By the way...
Death 999 wrote:Pinkie turned and came in close to the camera. "You're making Fluttershy cry. And do you know what we do with people who make Fluttershy cry?"

Zelnick sat down hard in the seat. "Allow them to apologize and start over?"

Pinkie thought for a moment. "Hmm. I was thinking 'antimatter confetti', but yours is better."
This was hilarious! :lol: ...even if I don't understand the entire context! :P