Peeru Fanfic Comments

Do you want to *play* with us camper? This is where *fun games* are had!

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Dabir
Duke Franz Ferdinand

Re: Peeru Fanfic Comments

Post by Dabir » Sun May 27, 2012 12:49 pm

Or just to live long enough. Over here, university fees magically vanish after a period of time - I believe 20 years or so.

Niffiwan
Silly Supox

Post by Niffiwan » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:44 am

Hi, I just wanted to say that I think this story (so far) was a rollicking good read. Good enough to be officially published. The study of different societies is being done very well and the characters feel alive. It's also causing me to take another look at the real-world society I live in.

I really love the author's familiarity with corporate ideas and jargon, it just feels so effortless.

(I had more to say when I originally got addicted to reading this a few months ago and was disappointed to see that the story was not yet finished... but for some reason I didn't leave a comment back then)
Member since March 14, 2003

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:07 pm

Yeah - I got bogged down trying to write the arrival of the Syreen officer. There was so much to include, and I couldn't decide on the pacing, and the next arc seemed kind of formless, and I was generally exhausted due to external factors...

Your kind words just gave me a little kick. I'll sit down and sort out the next arc. Don't count on an update by November 1, but it's possible - and if I haven't posted by Nov 15, poke me again.

And of course I really should be debugging the conversation system for P6014. I did get back into that, but then I fell ill... I'll mix my time up.

Niffiwan
Silly Supox

Post by Niffiwan » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:08 am

Well, I'll definitely be looking forward to it eagerly, whenever it happens. :)

I also think you should send a copy to Fred Ford and Paul Reiche III when you're done. Print out two nice softcover bound copies at your local print shop (with a good illustration on the front cover, and the character guide included too) and send them a surprise in the mail. :)-smf

I really do think that this is good enough to be officially published - except that I don't think a reader who's never played SC2 would be able to follow along.

Kind of an interesting dilemma there... writing a story like this on top of an established universe gives the writer a high starting point right off the bat, but also limits the audience (on both ends).

Although I wonder... I HAVE read a few novels based off of video games that I hadn't played, and there seem to be ways of making it work (specifically, the Myst novels and the World of Warcraft Sunwell trilogy).

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:20 pm

I'm not really keen on vanity-publishing. Even as a gift - it'd be a wonderful tribute, but it'd also be a bit... hazardous. Giving it to them would open up liability issues for them: what if I got brain damaged and sued them over coincidental shared details in the eventual sequel, instead of squeeing with glee that either we thought alike or they liked my idea? I'd lose, hard, but it'd waste resources. So I'd be constraining their design space.

And don't even bring up general publication. The audience for this story is so very small - this is a supplement to the SC2 experience primarily for someone who knows the game well - that publishing it is way way off the radar. Even aside from the limited market, most game tie-in works are in the same genre as the game itself. This is not an adventure story. Plus, it is overlaid right over the actual game. Retellings of the events from the sidelines are similarly a low priority, tie-in-wise, unless from the point of view of a dark horse fan favorite like Wedge.

I'd have a better chance of getting parts of this published if I reworked it as a 14th century historical drama with the Druuge being Flemish mercenaries, or something. I consider the chances to be on par with my getting an agent to successfully pitch one of the incidents in Peeru as the basis for an episode of My Little Pony. That is, low enough that it is not convenient to express without scientific notation.

As for progress - I have half of a chapter done, and was distracted by having my power knocked out. It's still out, by the way - I'm not at home. Still working on the direction of the next arc. The 15th is still likely.

Niffiwan
Silly Supox

Post by Niffiwan » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:44 am

I didn't realize you were in the path of the storm. Hope it's not too bad and that you'll be able to return to normal life soon! All we got up here in Canada was a week of rainy weather, but no catastrophes.

Yeah, I figured it was unlikely. I guess it was my head playing tricks on me again: "This is so great! Surely there's no reason why it can't be more popular if it was more widely-known!"

And then I remembered that not everyone has the same tastes and the price for something to be popular may just be that it won't be something I like anymore. That perhaps Nina Paley (though she often makes a whole lot of sense) is not exactly right when she says that "Culture is Anti-Rivalrous", if only because some communities don't want to increase their membership for whatever reason.

Incidentally, either of those two articles I linked to may or may not be of interest to the story, as they do have some nice concepts about memes and the economics of culture that it might be interesting to include (maybe. Perhaps as something that would come from the Pkunk...).

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:14 pm

I'm not saying a novel set in the SC-verse couldn't be popular. I'm just saying, I did not design Peeru with that in mind, and as such it would not function in that role. If SC were wildly popular, I would like it no less. I would love it. But this is not a viable mechanism for achieving that.

Niffiwan
Silly Supox

Post by Niffiwan » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:04 pm

Death 999 wrote:If SC were wildly popular, I would like it no less.
In its current form. But what if in the hope to make it popular, major changes were made to the game that increased its appeal to the wider public but made it less attractive to the original fans? It happens all the time, most noticeably with Hollywood book adaptations. That's what I was getting at. That perhaps sometimes it's not a bad thing that something is made for a niche audience.

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:44 pm

I meant if, as it is, it happened to be popular.

Anyway, chapter is almost ready. You can expect it in about 7 hours.

Dabir
Duke Franz Ferdinand

Post by Dabir » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:25 pm

You've formatted it for HTML rather than BBcode. I'll read through when it's fixed, so I can get the intended effect, but what I've seen so far looks up to your usual standard. That being pretty good.