Ask a Mod!

Do you want to *play* with us camper? This is where *fun games* are had!

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Re: Ask a Mod!

Post by The Troglodyte » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:26 pm

Uh-oh, I can hear crickets chirping. I'm not sure if you're going to get your answer on this one Quasi, but thanks for playing anyway! :D
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:44 pm

krulle wrote:What are their backgrounds?
I grew up in New Jersey, USA. I studied physics, got my PhD working on the ways graphene and carbon nanotubes interact with things on their surfaces, and now work at a small company that mainly writes quality control software and other custom programming jobs for industry and sometimes academia, and also makes high-performance counting machines.

I keep thinking there ought to be a tube furnace around, but there isn't.
Quasispatial wrote:I just want to know one thing:
What did the Orz do to the Androsynth?

Surely, with the omnipotence afforded by the virtue of being a mod, answering such a query should be child's play.
Wrong kind of mod. That would be more like project 6014.

krulle
Ilwrath spawn

Post by krulle » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:08 am

Quasispatial wrote:I just want to know one thing:
What did the Orz do to the Androsynth?

Surely, with the omnipotence afforded by the virtue of being a mod, answering such a query should be child's play.
Not a mod, but wanted to interject anyway.
I hope our host won't mind.

The Ultronomicon often refers to the IRC chat protocols, and even provides relevant passages at the end of artciles.
E.g.:
Orz - Ultronomicon; Notes and References wrote: 1From the 2007 IRC chat with Toys for Bob (robot is Fred Ford, PR3 is Paul Reiche III):

23:55 <+Cap`n`Kyth> One thing I've wondered - is Orz the same as 'Them', or is Orz "competing" with 'Them' over the Androsynth (like food?), or protecting the Androsynth from 'Them' - by *pulling* the Androsynth away before 'They' can find the Androsynth again?
23:57 <+PR3> The Orz is part of Them, the projection of Them into TrueSpace.

2From the 1998 IRC chat with Toys for Bob (Fwiffo is both Fred Ford and Paul Reiche III here):

<LordR-man> Fwiffo- What really happened to the Androsynth in sc2?
<Fwiffo> In regards to the Androsynth: They were snagged by the entity who/which projected its fingers into our dimension (which looked to us as the Orz.)
So, I fear they (our mods) are bound not to disclose too much, otherwise they (our mods) would show knowledge about *them*, which would make them (the mods) visible/*smellable* to *them*. And even they (our near-omnipotent mods) would be hard-pressed in a confrontation with *them*.

For the rest, I am sure the Mods do not wish to disclose parts of the future plotline(s) of Ghosts of the Precursors:
Androsynth - Ultronomicon; Notes and References wrote: 6From a mail by Fred Ford to a Star Control II player:

: Were ALL the Androsynth destroyed when the Orz came?

Perceptive lad. This was a leading plot candidate for our theoretical sequel.
Edit: while it may be interesting to scroll the Ultronomicon for more such hints and chat protocols, I'd strongly advertise against doing so, dear host (Troglodyte), as many of those pages are spoilerish by nature.
I've searched quickly through your thread, found that you have the Taalo Device and know about the disappearance of the Androsynth (same link as for Taalo Device), so the above quoted protocols can remain, otherwise I'd have removed them myself.

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:06 pm

How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

Quasispatial
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Quasispatial » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:07 pm

...This thread is going to get swarmed with stupid questions, isn't it?
"Sentient life. We are the Ur-Quan. Independence is intolerable. Blah, blah, blah." - the Spathi High Council, Star Control II.

krulle
Ilwrath spawn

Post by krulle » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:47 pm

Angelfish wrote:How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?
As much wood as a woodchuck could chuck,
If a woodchuck could chuck wood.
(Honestly, I don't think a woodchuck would chuck wood even if a woodchuck could chuck wood, as a woodchuck that could chuck wood would still have no use for chucked wood chucked by a woodchuck that could chuck wood.)

Quasispatial wrote:...This thread is going to get swarmed with stupid questions, isn't it?
AND WE HAVE THE WINNER OF THE CATEGORY "Rhetorical Questions"!

Congratulations, Quasispatial!

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:01 pm

I have a question for the mods, is it too late to rename the thread "Ask a krulle"? :lol:
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

krulle
Ilwrath spawn

Post by krulle » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:04 pm

The Troglodyte wrote:I have a question for the mods, is it too late to rename the thread "Ask a krulle"? :lol:
Yes. Dear host. It is.

:D

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Ask a krulle!

Post by The Troglodyte » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:19 pm

krulle wrote:
The Troglodyte wrote:I have a question for the mods, is it too late to rename the thread "Ask a krulle"? :lol:
Yes. Dear host. It is.

:D
I can sort of rename it! (See subject line above :roll: )

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:55 pm

On woodchucks and chucking of wood: IDK, ask an arktomathlologist.

If we're asking Krull, then… What was the point of having the castle of doom teleport every day?