Gauging interest: The Grand Council Revival

Do you want to *play* with us camper? This is where *fun games* are had!

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Gauging interest: The Grand Council Revival

Post by Draxas »

Hey all.

There has been a bit of discussion regarding the Grand Council, and I surmised that there might be enough interest to get a similar RP thread going once again. While I'm entirely unaware of how the mechanical part of the game operated (being that I wasn't on the SCDB at the time), the outward face of it is quite compelling to me, and I would love to see it take off again.

Anyone who would have an interest in participating, feel free to chime in here and voice your support. Better yet, for those old timers who were around for the original RP, feel free to fill in some of those missing mechanical details so I can get a better idea of how this functioned, and make suggestions on how to improve things.
Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Re: Gauging interest: The Grand Council Revival

Post by Lukipela »

I could do some small side role perhaps. The Umgah maybe? Can't be a major player though.

I think back in the day Sedodes organized it so that he had some grand events drawn up that happened, and everyone reacted to them. it was pretty free though, with several different events unfolding as well. Basically, if you wanted to do something major, you ran it through him and he made sure there weren't too many events at once. Pretty good work,he tied things together well.

I assume this is a Reboot, starting off from the beginning? Otherwise you'll have to do a lot of digging to figure out where we originally petered off. An idea might be for the organizer to have some set break points, at which one chapter ends and a new one begins.
Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas »

Yes, this would be a reboot. I think there are few enough of us left that participated in the original that picking up the old plotline would be extremely difficult; it seems like a lot of business was conducted behind the scenes via PM or other private communication methods, and we don't have access to this content. Besides, it would be nice to let whoever the current players might be to determine their own roles, rather than having to take on the mantle of whoever played those races last.

Chapter breaks make sense to divide various major plotlines, but I think we're getting ahead of ourselves. As far as having a "Game Master" goes, it makes a lot of sense to have one person coordinating major events, but my impression was that things tended to be rather organic and ad-hoc; I'm guessing that was just a well-crafted illusion, and if that's the case, I must give credit to Sedodes. Still, it seems like a smart way to handle things so that tangents don't turn into plot tumors and people are kept on-track. Of course, letting people in key roles decide what form major events would take is probably a nice idea as well. Perhaps a balancing act between the two?
chenjesuwizard
Malfunctioning M:bot

Post by chenjesuwizard »

I'd be interested.

Don't have much else to say.
Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Alvarin »

I like RP, but need to read the old thread to see if I will be able to participate with my limited writing abilities without ruining the experience for other participants.
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.
Saria
Pkunk Elder

Post by Saria »

Alvarin wrote:I like RP, but need to read the old thread to see if I will be able to participate with my limited writing abilities without ruining the experience for other participants.
This.
DefenderDT
Hunam adventurer

Post by DefenderDT »

Heck I'm in if you need me!

Though I really don't know anything about the logistics ^_^;; So a quick run-over before we start if'n you don't mind?
oldlaptop
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by oldlaptop »

Count me in for sure.
Play Supermelee online in #uqm-arena!
Netmelee Improvement Mod
Nuclear
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Nuclear »

Yeah, I definitely need to practice at doing more RP's so count me in. Of course, I can get rather clueless without explicit elaboration on the guidelines beforehand...
Hackers never die. They just terminate and stay resident.
BaVB
Arilou wiseguy

Post by BaVB »

It seems really interesting, count me in!

Well, first I'll have to know what it is a little more, and some practice RP like everyone else as said, it just seems interesting by what I think it is.