Still kicking. Kind of.

Anything that isn't Star Control. Mind your manners!

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Nuclear
Yehat Revolutionist

Re: Still kicking. Kind of.

Post by Nuclear » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:46 pm

Angelfish wrote: all american media is hugely biased
Hackers never die. They just terminate and stay resident.

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas » Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:26 pm

No, Morpheus, that's a simple statement of fact. Every news program has its own slant in one direction or another, because there's no better way to boost ratings than to preach to your faithful. We haven't even made an attempt at unbiased news programming in the US since all of the 24 hour news channels started to crop up like weeds. Not to say that news before that had no bias, but at least they sort of tried. Now everyone is just pandering to an audience that they know will listen.

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:06 pm

I really feel sorry for you guys.

TLJGames
Hunam adventurer

Post by TLJGames » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:03 pm

In the UK there's bias here and there too. It happens everywhere - you just have to take everything you read with a pinch of salt. The best way of getting around it (although I don't know how easy this is for anyone else) is to make conclusions based on more than one source, preferably those which may lean in different directions when it comes to certain topics. Having said that, I'm usually quite poor when it comes to being up to date with anything but sciencey news...
UQM and Project 6014 LPs - I've been quite busy recently, but I'm back to try to finish the job! -- https://www.youtube.com/user/TLJGames

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:56 am

Angelfish wrote:
Death 999 wrote:Well, I'm amazed at all the opinions you have about Eth.
Yeah I just don't get how you can quit a community of which you've been a part for many years over the opinion of 1 person about an issue that doesn't personally affect you. But perhaps that's just me.

Aaand in come the walls of text. Somebody had to replace Lukipela ;)
There's no replacing me in your heart and you know it!

I totally get it. Aside from the fact that I've had the shittiest year of my life I also used to come here for fun.

When my time is limited and I'm angry enough anyway, it's pretty easy to optimize away the place where I have the option of either listening to recurring rants about politics and gender from people whose agenda I heartfully disagree with, or end up in stupid discussions on whether women are less likely to become homeless because of chivalry and whether you reeeaaally can ever know who is worse off maaan.

Back when my time was unlimited and the subject was more neutral, I used to enjoy endlessly discussing stuff like intelligent design. But now it's just not worth it.

Also media is produced by people and people are biased. If you think you've found "unbiased" media you've only found a bias you agree with. Sports statistics is the closest you'll get otherwise. Biased is a meaningless buzzword for alt warriors.

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:18 am

Lukipela wrote:
Angelfish wrote:
Death 999 wrote:Well, I'm amazed at all the opinions you have about Eth.
Yeah I just don't get how you can quit a community of which you've been a part for many years over the opinion of 1 person about an issue that doesn't personally affect you. But perhaps that's just me.

Aaand in come the walls of text. Somebody had to replace Lukipela ;)
There's no replacing me in your heart and you know it!

I totally get it. Aside from the fact that I've had the shittiest year of my life I also used to come here for fun.

When my time is limited and I'm angry enough anyway, it's pretty easy to optimize away the place where I have the option of either listening to recurring rants about politics and gender from people whose agenda I heartfully disagree with, or end up in stupid discussions on whether women are less likely to become homeless because of chivalry and whether you reeeaaally can ever know who is worse off maaan.

Back when my time was unlimited and the subject was more neutral, I used to enjoy endlessly discussing stuff like intelligent design. But now it's just not worth it.

Also media is produced by people and people are biased. If you think you've found "unbiased" media you've only found a bias you agree with. Sports statistics is the closest you'll get otherwise. Biased is a meaningless buzzword for alt warriors.
The subject is still as neutral as you make it. We're not our 17 year old selves anymore and we can't really change the world by discussing about it on a discussion forum. That, the limited audience our posts have and the fact that we're always preaching to people who have had an entirely different upbrininging and years of indoctrination by their media of choice, makes me wonder why you even bother to place these huge walls of text :).

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:31 pm

I think that might be true for you. Doesn't make it true in general or for everyone.

I don't aim to change the world. Just mine. Simplest way of doing that is doing what I enjoy. Hanging around things and people that annoy me surprisingly isn't one of those.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:19 pm

Lukipela wrote:I totally get it. Aside from the fact that I've had the shittiest year of my life I also used to come here for fun.
That sucks. What's been bad about it?
Lukipela wrote:When my time is limited and I'm angry enough anyway, it's pretty easy to optimize away the place where I have the option of either listening to recurring rants about politics and gender from people whose agenda I heartfully disagree with, or end up in stupid discussions on whether women are less likely to become homeless because of chivalry and whether you reeeaaally can ever know who is worse off maaan.
Yeah, that whole discussion (the homeless women and chivalrous men one) took a strange turn.
Lukipela wrote:Back when my time was unlimited and the subject was more neutral, I used to enjoy endlessly discussing stuff like intelligent design. But now it's just not worth it.
We can discuss intelligent design anytime you'd like. ;) My opinions on the matter are certainly beyond neutral!

Also, has anybody else noticed that Nuclear's avatar suddenly seems a bit more girly? Perhaps it's just me.
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

Nuclear
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Nuclear » Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:18 am

You said earlier that my masculine avatar made you unsure of my gender identity, so I modified it slightly to clear up any confusion ;)-smf watch out for the Tranny-Borg next time you visit Citadel Station.
Hackers never die. They just terminate and stay resident.

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:30 pm

Holy crap it's Lukipela. Hi Luki! Man, this is making my nostalgic for the days of BEL and those masterfully written adventures of yours, and now I'm sad again.

Man, screw politics. There used to be loads of cool stuff going on on these boards and then a bunch of BS confined to Off Topic drove everyone away? Now I'm less sad, more pissed, really.