Where are you heading?

Anything that isn't Star Control. Mind your manners!

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Zeracles
Pootworm

Re: Where are you heading?

Post by Zeracles » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:06 am

Lately I've been getting to know my dentist pretty well, after not having anyone look at my teeth for ten years (a guess, I just can't remember) I needed about 20 fillings, one of them on a tooth that almost required root canal.
Lukipela wrote:If anything, I think local anesthesia is a lot more annoying. I've gotten that a few times fro wisdom tooth removal, general dental work and removal of moles. You don't feel any pain, but everything feels numb and you can still feel stretching, pinching and the drill vibrates all through your head. I hate that feeling. Oh, and whe nthey cracked my bottom wisdom tooth the sound was absolutely horrifying, I thought they'd broken my jawbone.
I'm going to need my wisdom teeth taken out too (where do I go for wise counsel now?). When my brother needed it done it was obviously necessary because they were growing sideways and painful for him. In my case it isn't so urgent, I've seen intra-oral pics of them and two of the four look half-decayed already because I can't brush back there. If only they were all like that because those could probably disintegrate without needing any action. One of the others is worrisome because it's growing forwards (yes really, only its side is visible) and left alone will grow into the tooth in front of it.

Why are we so damn makeshift? I'll steel myself for it all some time later this year probably.
Twinkle twinkle Paul and Fred (more)

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:17 pm

I am thankful every time I see a dental x-ray that my wisdom teeth never actually moved anywhere or broke the surface of my gums. My mouth is already quite crowded (never having braces will do that), and there's just no room for more teeth to emerge. That's to say nothing of the one that's in there sideways. But the dentist says that as long as they stay put, it won't become an issue. Still, I know how terrible it can be; I saw my sister go through wisdom teeth extraction a few years back, and it was an awful experience for her. And letting them rot is not really viable, because there are still nerves in there that will cause some pretty excruciating pain if the rot progresses too far. So good luck.

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:55 pm

Zeracles wrote:I'm going to need my wisdom teeth taken out too (where do I go for wise counsel now?).
I still have two of mine, so I guess you can ask me if you'll settle for semi-wise.
Draxas wrote:I am thankful every time I see a dental x-ray that my wisdom teeth never actually moved anywhere or broke the surface of my gums. My mouth is already quite crowded (never having braces will do that), and there's just no room for more teeth to emerge. That's to say nothing of the one that's in there sideways. But the dentist says that as long as they stay put, it won't become an issue. Still, I know how terrible it can be; I saw my sister go through wisdom teeth extraction a few years back, and it was an awful experience for her. And letting them rot is not really viable, because there are still nerves in there that will cause some pretty excruciating pain if the rot progresses too far. So good luck.
Yeah, I really hope my other two won't move because wisdom teeth really do suck. They are terrible things. And this is from someone who has had open heart surgery twice. I'll take a cracked ribcage over a wisdom tooth any day.

Saria
Pkunk Elder

Post by Saria » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:01 am

Having my wisdom teeth taken out was one of the best dental experiences I've ever had.......... 3 days of doing nothing but taking vicoden and eating yogurt.

Zeracles
Pootworm

Post by Zeracles » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:29 am

Thanks Saria, I think that is the attitude I must adopt. I wonder what my mush of choice will be, probably not yoghurt.
Draxas wrote:And letting them rot is not really viable, because there are still nerves in there that will cause some pretty excruciating pain if the rot progresses too far.
One would think so but it's weird, one of my badly decayed ones is already so far gone that it looks like a canine. And I didn't feel a thing.
Lukipela wrote:If anything, I think local anesthesia is a lot more annoying. I've gotten that a few times fro wisdom tooth removal, general dental work and removal of moles. You don't feel any pain, but everything feels numb and you can still feel stretching, pinching and the drill vibrates all through your head. I hate that feeling.
I also find having my mouth numbed quite disarming, what with losing the ability to speak fluently. Can't inflict bad jokes on people anymore!

In other news our building is getting torn down and the department is moving to a temporary place. It's great, I get the novelty of moving to a new office but because I'm leaving soon I don't have to put up with the longer term inconveniences of being way off the university campus :D
Twinkle twinkle Paul and Fred (more)

Gekko
Ilwrath torturer

Post by Gekko » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:00 pm

Lukipela wrote: So after this, you'll be able to breathe more easily? Or not get a stuffy nose as easily? If you don't mind, I'm sort of curious about what the practical benefit is.
I already do. The nose is open for the first time in years, infections haven't yet returned as the cavities inside my head now have air conditioning and hopefully my stomach and asthma will get better as there is no more infectious growth going down my throat.
Lukipela wrote: Anyway, less than a month to the wedding now. Most things on route, but the pressure is building. The stuff left is flimsy stuff like menu and placement cards, nothing big really. but it all needs to be figured out anyway. And it's really only sinking in now that I'm getting married. Not that I have cold feet or anything, but it's a pretty big thing even though we've been together forever and ever by now. Combining wedding stress with work stress (I just finished a major thing at work today that I've been prepping for for weeks) has left me tired and worn. I have a headache all the time because I drink too much coffee, I can't get my stuff organized and I really need a few days to just clear my head. But instead here I am, posting on the internet. I should be doing somethign more useful than listening to Ur-Quan voice clips, but I need a break. Sue me.
Why stress over a wedding? It's nothing else but a ceremony, and should be fun. Ignore what your relatives think, ignore how it will seem outside. Simply have something that will be enjoyable and stick in your memories. I never understood why people must invite 1000 people (a small Indian wedding has 1000 people I hear) and celebrate for 3 days. That's not how I would announce my undying love for someone. This is naturally an opinion, and I never understood why my late mother wanted to organize a huge party after I graduated from high school. Then again, she seemed to want to do that, so I let her do that. Maybe a wedding is not about you, but your relatives? I dunno.
Visit #uqm-arena and play a game of Net Melee!
Try the Net Melee Improvement mod

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:38 pm

Gekko wrote:Maybe a wedding is not about you, but your relatives? I dunno.
That's actually exactly right. Marriage is as easy as paying a visit to a Justice of the Peace (or whatever the equivalent official is across the ocean) and paying the government fee for a marriage license, if you want to completely do away with everything not strictly necessary. The wedding is for everyone else, because they want to celebrate your marriage. Besides, the newlyweds are far too busy being dragged about by the MC or the photographer to register anything but a blur, really.

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:21 pm

Gekko wrote:I already do. The nose is open for the first time in years, infections haven't yet returned as the cavities inside my head now have air conditioning and hopefully my stomach and asthma will get better as there is no more infectious growth going down my throat.
Well that sounds pretty good at least. I didn't realise it had been that bad, congrats on getting that fixed!
Lukipela wrote: Why stress over a wedding? It's nothing else but a ceremony, and should be fun. Ignore what your relatives think, ignore how it will seem outside. Simply have something that will be enjoyable and stick in your memories. I never understood why people must invite 1000 people (a small Indian wedding has 1000 people I hear) and celebrate for 3 days. That's not how I would announce my undying love for someone. This is naturally an opinion, and I never understood why my late mother wanted to organize a huge party after I graduated from high school. Then again, she seemed to want to do that, so I let her do that. Maybe a wedding is not about you, but your relatives? I dunno.
Draxas has some of it, but I think there's actually two parts in there. Keep in mind that this is just my opinion though. The wedding ceremony is for the bride and groom. It's a public display of the love you feel for each other. You don't need to have a public display if you don't want to. In this day and age you don't need to get married at all, you can just love each other and stay together. If you do decide to do it, you can do it in a secular fashion, at a temple or a church or anything you like. You can celebrate your love in private at any time, but IMO the wedding ceremony is where you invite all your friends and family to witness your public celebration of it. It's a way to invite them into your life and show them what you have. Maybe it is just a ceremony, but sometimes words and actions matter more when you do them out in the open for all to see.

The second part is the actual celebration. Again in my opinion, that's a feast for the relatives and friends. That's inviting them to celebrate with you, giving them the chance to say that they love you and care for you. Sure, you could do it one relative and friend if you wanted to. But it's also a way for the families to get to know each other. it's not just that we're family after that, it's that she is a part of mine and I am a part of hers. they deserve a chance to get to know each other as well as just us. And if we invite them to a party, we'd be poor hosts if we didn't want them to have a good time. Sure the party is to celebrate our marriage, but it is so that they celebrate it. We can do that any day we want. And if the aprty is for them, it's important that they enjoy it. If we're going to spend money on a party, at least it should be money well spent.

On a crasser level, while blood runs thick it isn't syrup. If you don't foster relationships with your family, they'll disappear just as friends you ignore for years on end. Showing them that you care enough about them that you want them to be present at one of the most important events of your life is also important for the relationship you have. After all, they do the same for you as well. Often we take family for granted right up until we realize that they are no longer there.

Gekko
Ilwrath torturer

Post by Gekko » Wed May 09, 2012 7:34 pm

I'm heading for exams. Got 3 tomorrow. I'm getting somewhat pissed at this whole exam business.
Visit #uqm-arena and play a game of Net Melee!
Try the Net Melee Improvement mod

Bleeding Star
Ilwrath spawn

Post by Bleeding Star » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:02 pm

Gekko wrote:I'm heading for exams. Got 3 tomorrow. I'm getting somewhat pissed at this whole exam business.
How did they turn out?
Lukipela wrote:I love cats, but my fiancee hates them. I grew up with the best cat in the world, and it makes me sad that I'm not going to get one again :(
Abort! Abort!