Where are you heading?

Anything that isn't Star Control. Mind your manners!

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Re: Where are you heading?

Post by Angelfish »

Lukipela wrote:
Angelfish wrote:I'd like some long term goals to make my life more worthwhile, but I'm not sure what those should be ;).
Why not keep it simple? What kind of goals would you prefer? Those where you do something well, those where you become something or those where you experience something?
Those which make my life worthwhile ;)
Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Alvarin »

That still falls into one of three categories posed by Luki.
And it still is valid question, whether it's "worthwhile" to you or to others.
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.
RTyp06
Ilwrath spawn

Post by RTyp06 »

Lukipela, Lukipelette, Hayes, Zelnick, Talanna and little Fiffo sounds about right..
Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela »

chenjesuwizard wrote:It wasn't much. I just took as a statement that women lacked the power to make decisions, as if growing a penis would suddenly make one able to make decisions. It comes from my dislike of the phrase "man up", which promotes gender stereotypes.

Also, just before I wrote that I had spent the day dealing with a bunch of bigots, so I kind of assumed he was using it a sexist way. But even if he wasn't, it still doesn't make it right, as it's the underlying sexism in most of western society shining through.
Just to be clear here chenjesuwizard, I agree with you. I'm interested in what way Dyandod interprets it where it doesn't come off as sexist. With that in mind...
Dyandod wrote:It sounded like a joke, and not to be taken seriously. I suppose he could've used a different phrase instead.

You know, I can't even remember who said it, now...
I'm simply asking because I'm interested in how you think. But what you thought it was (a joke), I asked what you thought 2-23-6 meant. As in, if it is not supposed to be interpreted in a sexist way, how do you interpret it? Saying it is a joke just suggests to me that you might think that jokes can't be sexist/racist/bigoted. But it might also mean that you are all right with sexism/racism/other isms as long as they are phrased in a humorous fashion. Or maybe you interpret it differently. I'm not trying to put you on the spot here, nor am I trying to be aggressive or unfriendly. But you stepped up and pointed out that the comment probably wasn't sexist, and I'd simply like to understand how you thought, what your reasoning was and why you acted li

Also, it was posted like two days ago and not that many pages back, so it's not like you can't scroll back.
Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela »

chenjesuwizard wrote:Wow. Big step. But I wish the best luck to both of you in her pregnancy. I hope the baby is happy and healthy!
So far both baby and mother is healthy, though apparently healthy and "feeling sick as a dog for months on end" aren't mutually exclusive.
RTyp06 wrote:Wow, 'grats Lukipela. ... Only what, 4 more to go after this one? ;)
I originally envisioned three due to complicated and grand designs that probably simply boil down to the fact that I have two siblings. However, my wife has been pretty sick all through the pregnancy and had to stay home from work for two months because of extreme nausea with all the associated joys. So now we're thinking two might be enough. Thank god for our heathen communist system where she gets ~80% of her regular pay for about a year while on sick leave.
Saria wrote:Do you have any names in mind?! Oh my gosh this is so exciting best of luck to you both!
We've thought a lot about names. Since we have different native languages we need to find something that is dpeled the same way in both languages and sounds somewhat similar when pronounced. Which kind of narrows the field a little. My sister had the same issue since her husband is English, but English and Swedish are close enough that it becomes a bit easier. Finnish and Swedish on the other hand... Not quite as easy. But we'll find something :) And it is incredibly exciting, but also very scary.
Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela »

Angelfish wrote:
Those which make my life worthwhile ;)
And what's that, other than posting empty sentences on internet boards to try see how people react?
Eth
Shining Being of Pure Light and Blissful Love

Post by Eth »

Congratulations, Luki!
2-23-6
Arilou wiseguy

Post by 2-23-6 »

Whoa, whoa, I missed a sexist streak in a thread? Let's throw in some racism too. O0-smf

What do you call a bunch of white people running down a hill? An avalanche.
What do you call a bunch of Mexicans running down a hill? A mudslide.
What do you call a bunch of black people running down a hill? A jailbreak.
What do you call a bunch of Dutch people running down a hill? A firesale.

If you are devoid of all sense of humour in order to perceive everything to be an insult and prejudice, it is only a reflection of your own desire to be wronged and prejudiced. Lighten up folks, growing a penis is an expression of coming of maturity and adulthood for a man. There is nothing inherently sexist in that, to a woman I would have said something else.

Fishy, you have to take responsibility for making choices that will make your life worthwhile. The fallacy that I discovered is thinking there is some great secret somewhere that will tell you who you should be in life. The reality is that you forge who you want to be, sometimes it's not even a question of what you are currently good at, you get thrown into your life's work. If you don't have any debt, the entire world is yours. Go be a war photographer in Mali. Get up, pack your shit into a suitcase, get a DSLR and go. We expect a full report by tomorrow.

Just remember how awesome NetSC was going to be, you weren't worried about life's meaning back then too much and yet you had it.

P.S. Luki's kid should be named Toivo. End of story.
Dyandod
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Dyandod »

Lukipela wrote:
Dyandod wrote:It sounded like a joke, and not to be taken seriously. I suppose he could've used a different phrase instead.

You know, I can't even remember who said it, now...
I'm simply asking because I'm interested in how you think. But what you thought it was (a joke), I asked what you thought 2-23-6 meant. As in, if it is not supposed to be interpreted in a sexist way, how do you interpret it? Saying it is a joke just suggests to me that you might think that jokes can't be sexist/racist/bigoted. But it might also mean that you are all right with sexism/racism/other isms as long as they are phrased in a humorous fashion. Or maybe you interpret it differently. I'm not trying to put you on the spot here, nor am I trying to be aggressive or unfriendly. But you stepped up and pointed out that the comment probably wasn't sexist, and I'd simply like to understand how you thought, what your reasoning was and why you acted li

Also, it was posted like two days ago and not that many pages back, so it's not like you can't scroll back.
Just because you mention gender doesn't mean something is sexist. A lot of people still call blacks "niggers" here in the U.S. (at least in the cities, particularly the inner cities) but nobody's offended unless they're in a bad mood or they're strangers. You can definitely interpret the words "grow a penis" to be sexist, but I didn't see anything in the delivery to suggest it was anything but a wisecrack.

Honestly, I never thought this would end up prompting a discussion on sexism, I thought the intent was obvious. I guess that's why I didn't scroll back- I was a bit confused about why people thought this was important at all and I didn't feel like doing any more than post a couple of short sentences.
KYAAAAAIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEE!
Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela »

2-23-6 wrote: If you are devoid of all sense of humour in order to perceive everything to be an insult and prejudice, it is only a reflection of your own desire to be wronged and prejudiced. Lighten up folks, growing a penis is an expression of coming of maturity and adulthood for a man. There is nothing inherently sexist in that, to a woman I would have said something else.
I think that's pretty much a question of perspective though. I mean, the flip side of the coin is:
6-32-2 wrote: If you are devoid of all sense of empathy in order to perceive everything to be a harmless and funny, it is only a reflection of your own refusal to be proven wrong and prejudiced. Lighten up folks, growing a penis is an indication of the responsibility for a man. There is nothing inherently sexist in that, to a woman I would have said something else. Such as pussy, an indication of the irresponsibility of a woman.
I don't really care one way or another about your joke, because I can afford not to care. Despite being part of a minority, I'm close to the top of the privilige chain. But that stuff isn't really funny if you aren't.
P.S. Luki's kid should be named Toivo. End of story.
Wouldn't work in Swedish unfortunately. Continuing on the sexist theme I could name my daughter Unelma Sirpa-Leena otherwise.
Dyandod wrote:Just because you mention gender doesn't mean something is sexist. A lot of people still call blacks "niggers" here in the U.S. (at least in the cities, particularly the inner cities) but nobody's offended unless they're in a bad mood or they're strangers. You can definitely interpret the words "grow a penis" to be sexist, but I didn't see anything in the delivery to suggest it was anything but a wisecrack.
Interesting. Do you have any experience with calling people "nigger"? I mean minorities tend to appropriate racist terms among themselves, but that rarely means that they appreciate outsiders using them. Would any other americans like to weigh in on whether "nigger" is nowadays an accepted word in your language? I'd have thought it wouldn't be with your history, but what do I know?

But what you are saying is that you don't think that the idea that someone without a penis can't take responsibility isn't really sexist? Or that it isn't sexist because it's a joke based on that assumption? Or are you seeing it as ironic?
Honestly, I never thought this would end up prompting a discussion on sexism, I thought the intent was obvious. I guess that's why I didn't scroll back- I was a bit confused about why people thought this was important at all and I didn't feel like doing any more than post a couple of short sentences.
Sexism is important and also very interesting (for those who can afford to view it as interesting rather than infuriating), but this thread has also been derailed so many times that we might as well find something interesting to discuss rather than Angelfishes attempts to whitenoise and bait people.