Where are you heading?

Anything that isn't Star Control. Mind your manners!

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Guizot
Silly Supox

Re: Where are you heading?

Post by Guizot » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:51 pm

Thanks Draxas, I have never heard of the Science Olympiad. I already participate in the Science Bowl though, which seems to be my school’s preference, but I might inquire about it.

I am already familiar with the financial woes and drudgery of science, but my other skills are pathetic at best. Good to hear that I probably will not being getting too math intensive, pre-calc chewed me up last year and physics is teaching me a lesson in humility this year!

In regards to not being a wimp, I don’t really have a great track record. Hopefully something along the lines of a home sickness shock will do the trick.

Bleeding Star
Ilwrath spawn

Post by Bleeding Star » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:57 am

Guizot wrote:The unfortunate chagrin stemming from college selection has befallen me, so I am thankful that this thread gives me ample opportunity to complain ad infinitum over this fact.

I am very partial to the sciences, but I have relatively weak mathematical skills. Thus, I am considering biology, chemistry, or perhaps engineering in either of the fields if I can better myself in the realm of math. Having already completed enough college credit to enter most schools as a sophomore, my academics slightly outweigh my lack of extracurricular activities. However, extremely selective schools will most certainly reject me. I have limited my list to:

Colorado School of Mines, University of Colorado – Boulder, University of Minnesota – Twin Cities, University of Pittsburgh – Oakland, and McGill University.

I am relatively hesitant about going to McGill, as I do not have any relatives up in Canada. That, and my unsatisfactory French may cause some of Montreal’s multilingual denizens to eat out my substance. At the same time, I feel a desire to go somewhere a little more exotic than the Coloradan suburb I have spent my entire life (save approximately annual trips) in.

To put it briefly, I am working to make sure that I do not obliterate my senior year of high school while I also ponder what university to attend.

I probably would not mind a job similar to the one Draxas holds (I already have some spare nucleotide coolers). I will have to see if I can do well enough scholastically though…
For organic chemistry (the best kind of chemistry) and most of biology, you won't need much maths at all apart from arithmetic and a tiny bit of algebra. My maths is pretty poor and I get by just fine. If you go into biology, I'd advise some basic chemistry course as well, just to get the fundamentals down, and likewise if you choose chemistry then a little physics wouldn't go amiss. Unless you're likely to fail miserably, of course, in which case avoid it like the plague. As far as I'm aware, engineering usually has a heavy mathematical component, but you'd be better off asking an engineer. Do we have any on the board?

Also, moving away from home is awesome.

Gekko
Ilwrath torturer

Post by Gekko » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:41 pm

Engineering / science student here. We have a rather load of mathematics involved in our master's degree. I'm currently doing my first year, and I have 4 courses, each 4 or 5 credits, where 1 credit equals as 27 hours of work for an average student to receive an average grade. That means we have some 20 credits of mathematics this year (if we want to take the courses in the suggested order) which means 20 * 27 = 540 hours of work. We also have four physics courses of equal magnitude during this year. Afterwards we have some courses, but not as many as during our first year.

We have no chemistry unless we decide to take that as our secondary subject. In my case mathematics is a huge problem as I have no special, what do you call them, "talents" whatsoever. This doesn't strike down my love for it though, even if I fail the courses. In my previous university (of applied sciences) we had lower level stuff such as trigonometry and calculus. I spent two years there mostly learning these "basics" which I had not studied in high school as we are allowed to choose if we want less or more mathematics (I went for less). In that university (bachelor of engineering) I had some 4 mandatory courses which weren't that difficult. The content in them was something that every engineer should know even in his dreams, whereas the mathematics in this university seems to be mostly theoretical jargon (proving theorems and learning scientific notation).
Visit #uqm-arena and play a game of Net Melee!
Try the Net Melee Improvement mod

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:00 pm

work has ended, so I'm heading home :)

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:00 pm

Guizot wrote:In regards to not being a wimp, I don’t really have a great track record. Hopefully something along the lines of a home sickness shock will do the trick.
Having to cope on your own is a great way to become independent. If it helps, I'm about as handy as a broken clock and I sruvived on Ireland for a year after high school. You'll probably do fine.
Bleeding Star wrote:As far as I'm aware, engineering usually has a heavy mathematical component, but you'd be better off asking an engineer. Do we have any on the board?

Also, moving away from home is awesome.
I'm a diploma engineer in my language, but it translates to M.Sci so I'm not sure it counts. Anyway, I don't do any super-complex math, but there is a lot of math. We had to study some tricky stuff in Uni, but in actual life the computers handle all that stuff. But yeah, we had 4 math courses, 2 physics courses, some chemistry and then a lot of applied math in heat calc and mech calc. So if you go that way some sense for math isn't bad, although I think it's a bit like bicycling, once you learn it you know it. It's more training you how to think really.

Draxas: I took bioprocesstechnology. One day you and I need to figure out how to make some money.

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:34 pm

Lukipela wrote:Draxas: I took bioprocesstechnology. One day you and I need to figure out how to make some money.
You let me know when you come up with a good business proposition. ;)-smf

Zeracles
Pootworm

Post by Zeracles » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:15 am

I'd pay good money for a pet dragon. Is that a bioprocesstechnology thing?
Bleeding Star wrote:For organic chemistry (the best kind of chemistry)
Correction: biochemistry is the best. Memorising all those stupid proteins was loads of fun!

Research, public service or designing algorithms for financial institutions? That is the question.
Twinkle twinkle Paul and Fred (more)

Dragon
Reborn Shofixti

Post by Dragon » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:50 am

Zeracles wrote:I'd pay good money for a pet dragon. Is that a bioprocesstechnology thing?
Nah, we make bad pets - what with all the lazing around and drooling on things (so kinda like a dog but more corrosive).
Zeracles wrote:Correction: biochemistry is the best. Memorising all those stupid proteins was loads of fun!
Protip: Don't try and learn the entire text book the night before the exam. It ends badly.

Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Alvarin » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:27 pm

Dragon wrote:Protip: Don't try and learn the entire text book the night before the exam. It ends badly.
And if you do, have a notepad on the ready to write down your dreams as soon as you wake. It ought to make good reading afterwards!
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.

kingschosen
Pkunk Captain

Post by kingschosen » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:18 am

A little update. Here is all of us in our costumes for Halloween. My wife was a vampire/demon... so I went as Constantine. It's too bad we didn't get pics of me totally decked out. I had everything.

And, here is my little giraffe.