Star Control Discussion Board

All About Star Control
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:30 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 576 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 58  Next
 Post subject: Games other than Star Control
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:33 pm 
Duke Franz Ferdinand

So. Let's talk games. Last post from the topic on the old SCDB:
Quote:
Game I've been playing recently (a lot) is Sacred Gold. Hacknslash action is pretty fun, love the dodging mechanic, and if you want to storm straight through there's a character that does that AND won't stop referencing Lord of the Rings. Mind you, the interface was designed by a cryptozoologist on drugs, and the manual was clearly written based on the build before it, which was designed by a sensible person. Good luck finding any explanation of some of the bonuses - one piece of equipment I found claimed it gave me a boost of "Split +2%". Whatever the hell that means. Also, there's a wiki, but people only seem to fill in the information for the sequel, and even places like GameFAQs leave it woefully underdocumented. Ah well, it's pretty fun.

What's you lot been playing recently?

Post subject: Re: Games other than Star Control
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:01 pm 
ZFP Peacekeeper

I recently got my first game in a long time. I always liked Age of Wonders, despite it being broken every here and there. While idling through Wikipedia, I realised that the same studio has only produced one game series after that, Overlord. I bought the first on off Amazon in mint condition, with shipping charges it came to 13€. It's pretty fun and I'm enjoying myself immensely.

The game is linear and has no replay value, but there's something about commanding a mob of small gremlins that is just so fulfilling. You don't do much yourself, just send them forward to plunder and pillage. then they bring you whatever they steal, excitedly yelling things like "For the Overlord!" or "For you!" Sometimes they'll yell "For me!" and you just know they'll have picked up some weapon, pumpkin, piece of enemy armour, enemy skull or whatever and dressed up in it.

Once I'm done with the first one, there is an expansion and a second part. It's going to be quite interesting. Oh, here's a video since we can do that now.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:09 pm 
Yehat Revolutionist

Quote:
Games other than Star Control

You forgot the *Gasp!* :roll:

Dabir wrote:
What's you lot been playing recently?

I've been playing quite a bit of One Must Fall 2097. I'm not really a big fan of Fighting games but this one is actually pretty decent. It also has some good replay value to it since the game is different depending on the pilot you pick and the HAR that you pick. Did I forget to mention the theme song is awesome too?

Also, Crusader: No Remorse. Simply a great over head shooter. The awkward left and right controls take awhile to get used to and sometimes your left with the classic "Don't know where to go" Feeling but other then that, its an awesome game. And once again, the excellent sound track only adds to the experience.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:10 pm 
Duke Franz Ferdinand

In Overlord, the minion control looks a bit like Pikmin, except with less throwing. Does it remind you of that at all?

Personally, I prefer to get my evil kicks from Dungeon Keeper 2 - not that I'm any good at it or anything.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:22 pm 
ZFP Peacekeeper

Like I said, I haven't played games in ages, so I don't know how Pikmin works. Basically, I just aim at things and click as many times as the number of minions I want to send. I can then call them back one by one or all at a time. If I send them at enemies, they attack. If I send them at objects, they operate them, or bring them back to my evil tower.

Of course, I can also be pretty active myself, wading into battle with my mighty axe and casting spells galore. As long as my minions back me up, otherwise I'll get overpowered and cut down pretty quickly. It's much more satisfying to swarm halflings with my horde of evil little brown buggers, they are fierce like nobody's business.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:44 am 
Turnip Farmer

Dabir wrote:
In Overlord, the minion control looks a bit like Pikmin, except with less throwing. Does it remind you of that at all?

Overlord is very much like Pikmin. If you liked Pikmin, you will like this, although not necessarily the other way around. Its like Pikmin + RPG. More combat oriented + spells. But a lot of things work very similarly, like red pikmin = red minions, blue is blue, etc.; and the gathering of ship/tower parts is also very similar. The difference here is that in Pikmin you were fighting to survive, where in Overlord you are fighting to fight, and they did well on making it feel that way.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:48 am 
Turnip Farmer

My recent game addictions are Mass Effect 2 and WoW. The world of Mass Effect continues to copy Star Control, but if you ignore that, it's quite a good game. (Although Jack and her whole story is a complete ripoff from Riddick.)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:24 am 
Shining Being of Pure Light and Blissful Love

We just started another multiplayer Civ IV game, this time we're using the "Earth 18" map, a realistic map where the civilizations all start in their historically-correct locations (or at least, the locations of their capital cities). I am playing Rome again, and place to attack my tightly-packed neighbors as soon as I can make iron weapons.

That Ur-Quan Master
Famous Battles of the Ur-Quan Conflict

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:25 am 
Arilou wiseguy

Dabir wrote:

Personally, I prefer to get my evil kicks from Dungeon Keeper 2 - not that I'm any good at it or anything.

DK2 is great! Ever play Startopia? I think the same people made it, or it's very similar.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:39 am 
Turnip Farmer

Eth wrote:
We just started another multiplayer Civ IV game, this time we're using the "Earth 18" map, a realistic map where the civilizations all start in their historically-correct locations (or at least, the locations of their capital cities). I am playing Rome again, and place to attack my tightly-packed neighbors as soon as I can make iron weapons.

I haven't played Civ in forever... I didn't really like the changes in the new ones though, my favorite is still Civ2. Although none of them beat the original Colonization (well except in graphics. but everything beats it there).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 576 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 58  Next