Forum Roll Call

Anything that isn't Star Control. Mind your manners!

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Zeracles
Pootworm

Re: Forum Roll Call

Post by Zeracles » Fri May 01, 2015 3:17 am

I read the forum but lurk as I'm too busy quitting one job, attempting to resign gracefully from another and starting a new one. My predecessor in the new one left me a stack of Chemistry exams to mark, after that I have to set a Physics exam and some other assessments. At least the students here are all good kids.
Twinkle twinkle Paul and Fred (more)

Dragon
Reborn Shofixti

Post by Dragon » Tue May 05, 2015 7:34 am

Still around, very intermittent lurker. Sadly I've had too much work stuffs for the last several years :'(-smf

FreakyM
Orz *camper*

Post by FreakyM » Tue May 05, 2015 9:14 am

I'm still here, periodically. Lurking, as always, of course.
Not gone. Drifting in the flow of the world, observing.

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish » Tue May 05, 2015 8:30 pm

Dragon wrote:Still around, very intermittent lurker. Sadly I've had too much work stuffs for the last several years :'(-smf
So, they work 24 hour work days in South Africa then?
Glad I live here, with 8 hour work days. Much time to hang around on these boards in the other 16 hours.

Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Alvarin » Wed May 06, 2015 8:04 am

Angelfish wrote:
Dragon wrote:Still around, very intermittent lurker. Sadly I've had too much work stuffs for the last several years :'(-smf
Glad I live here, with 8 hour work days. Much time to hang around on these boards in the other 16 hours.
Are you aware of such concepts like family members, chores and/or other household obligations? Commute; Pet walking... Sleep?
I have about 1.5 hour a day left for the entirety of my non essentials, like social life, hobbies, games and internet.
And I know of MANY people with even less free time.
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish » Wed May 06, 2015 11:31 am

Alvarin wrote:
Angelfish wrote:
Are you aware of such concepts like family members, chores and/or other household obligations? Commute; Pet walking... Sleep?
I have about 1.5 hour a day left for the entirety of my non essentials, like social life, hobbies, games and internet.
And I know of MANY people with even less free time.
Ofcourse I'm aware of those, but Dragon blamed his absence solely on 'work'.
Why not speak the truth, we've known eachother for probably atleast a decade. Why make up excuses to cease visiting this site anymore?

Dragon
Reborn Shofixti

Post by Dragon » Wed May 06, 2015 6:51 pm

Angelfish wrote:Of course I'm aware of those, but Dragon blamed his absence solely on 'work'.
Why not speak the truth, we've known each other for probably at least a decade. Why make up excuses to cease visiting this site anymore?
I think you're being deliberately difficult. Nevertheless: Over the years you'll have seen me blame work a number of times. For why I've not been able to finish SC1 or contribute to BEL as much as I would have liked. There is a reason for that.

You're going to need a bit of background first. I've been with the company I work for for a fairly long time now (more than ten years) and generally I like the place and the people. Unfortunately sometime ago back in 2011 the then managing director successfully bid for a contract that was far, far to large for the company to handle. To deal with this unmanageable contract the staff complement was grown by almost three times. Teams were split and re-structured and people were re-located across the country.

However we still had to fulfill the companies existing contracts. Only two of us decided not to re-locate and became - by de facto - the 'team' working on the existing contracts. We'll call us Team 2 and everyone else Team 3. So Team 2 was reduced in size to about a quarter of what it had been but still had to provide a complete service. Coding and designing new features, production support and work requests for existing features and also all operations (making sure servers are up, the infrastructure is good, backups are made and are usable etc...).

It get's worse because not only were we a tiny team but Team 3, before they moved entirely to their own project, began working and coding against the source code that continued on as the basis for the contract and service that Team 2 provided. This weird/hybrid code was put into existing production, despite being a vastly different type of product. Team 3 then bailed and left Team 2 (the two of us) to deal with the instability that had been introduced. It took us six months to stabilise production back to the point where we could start writing new features again. I know the 24 hour thing is a joke but there were periods where it was literally true.

Time passed and in late 2013 Team 3 failed. They didn't deliver on what was promised and the contract was terminated. The majority of them moved on to new jobs and new companies and the whole awful episode should have been put to rest. Except it was only a majority who moved on. Those who did not find new jobs were brought back into Team 2. Now the company had been grown extremely quickly and one of the symptoms of that type of growth is that the existing company culture gets lost. Team 3 had become a posturing, aggressive, politicking, backstabbing bunch of dick-wads by the end - this in no small part contributed to their failure - and those who couldn't get new jobs were the worst of it.

Around the same time the managing director left for foreign parts (sorry Zeracles) and made the mess that was now Team 2 someone else's problem. Not only was the politicking and back-stabbing brought into Team 2 but the new managing director had very little context and took the approach that people must sort themselves out. This hasn't worked so well and has made for some unpleasant fights and basically split Team 2 into two groups. Four or five competent developers and two incompetent developers. A running joke is that it's alright that the incompetents work slowly only because they do less damage that way (between the two of them they do about a tenth of the work that every other person does on their own).

However things have quietened down this year. Team 2b (or whatever you want to call them) have been on their own partial-project for the last year and the code they introduced and it's instability has been wrapped away and tested. It's not great yet but the company still has the potential to be great again.

And that's the background.

As Alvarin's mentioned there are other things to life as well. Following the disaster that was 2012 I've had to reconnect with and re-construct my social life, finish an awful lot of outstanding administration (house construction mostly). I've continued with community policing the whole way through but dropped out of a number of other associations. All of this doesn't leave me a lot of time and I have to pick and choose what I spend it on carefully. Unfortunately the bulletin boards I used to frequent (SCDB and RetroRemakes) were some of things that fell by the wayside.

Am oversimplifying by saying 'work'? Yes. But is it fair to say it's the root cause for no longer being a regular here? Yes that too.

ps: You're probably wondering about Team 1... guess who is also Team 1. Yeah, me.

glory_device
Ilwrath torturer

Post by glory_device » Thu May 07, 2015 3:53 pm

Dragon, if you have a chance go take a look at this series of article...it somehow applies a lot to what you went through professionally: http://www.ribbonfarm.com/the-gervais-principle/

Also Peter's principle and Dilbert principle are also good to know in large corporation.
''I swiftly matured into a fine example of my species and with my parents' assistance, achieved independence.
Specifically, they pried me from the doorjamb, and rolled me into the street.'' -Fwiffo

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela » Fri May 08, 2015 4:40 am

Dragon wrote:
Angelfish wrote:Of course I'm aware of those, but Dragon blamed his absence solely on 'work'.
Why not speak the truth, we've known each other for probably at least a decade. Why make up excuses to cease visiting this site anymore?
I think you're being deliberately difficult.

Angelfish? Why I never...

Bleeding Star
Ilwrath spawn

Post by Bleeding Star » Mon May 18, 2015 10:31 pm

Yeah no need to justify anything.

But as Angelfish says, why make excuses?

I don't post very often because suck my balls, that's why.