A bit of my history

Anything that isn't Star Control. Mind your manners!

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

glory_device
Ilwrath torturer
Posts: 461
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:02 am
Location: Laval, Canada

A bit of my history

Post by glory_device » Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:14 pm

Hi guys,

For those who don't know, I'm a franco-Canadian and a Quebecer (simply put: I live in the province of Quebec and I speak French).

Today marks the 20th anniversary of the last referendum that tried to transform Quebec into a sovereign nation. While I'm not a sovereignist at heart...I still remember when I was following that particular topic when I was 6 years old.

So, if you want to learn a little bit about my culture and my country, I suggest that you read this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quebec_referendum,_1995

Feel free to ask questions or anything :)! (and yes that include...how do you say x in French...but only if I can retaliate for a language that I don't know!)
''I swiftly matured into a fine example of my species and with my parents' assistance, achieved independence.
Specifically, they pried me from the doorjamb, and rolled me into the street.'' -Fwiffo

User avatar
The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags
Posts: 1337
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:16 pm
Location: Dallas, TX

Re: A bit of my history

Post by The Troglodyte » Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:32 pm

That vote sure was close! I wonder how different things would be now if Quebec would have gained sovereignty.
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

User avatar
Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags
Posts: 1611
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:10 pm

Re: A bit of my history

Post by Angelfish » Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:29 pm

So quebec ís real!

glory_device
Ilwrath torturer
Posts: 461
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:02 am
Location: Laval, Canada

Re: A bit of my history

Post by glory_device » Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:00 pm

The Troglodyte wrote:That vote sure was close! I wonder how different things would be now if Quebec would have gained sovereignty.
That's a question that a lot of Quebecers ask themselves...Rumor is that the vote was so tight that the canadian government wouldn't have accepted the outcome.

and yes Angelfish, we are real!!!
''I swiftly matured into a fine example of my species and with my parents' assistance, achieved independence.
Specifically, they pried me from the doorjamb, and rolled me into the street.'' -Fwiffo

User avatar
Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags
Posts: 1611
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:10 pm

Re: A bit of my history

Post by Angelfish » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:42 am

Come to think of it, you may be part of the conspiracy that promotes the existence of Quebec.

glory_device
Ilwrath torturer
Posts: 461
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:02 am
Location: Laval, Canada

Re: A bit of my history

Post by glory_device » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:28 pm

Boy you wish...I'm actually a federalist in all that story and I can't stand some of the sovereignist that are basically clueless about their situation and are simply world class complainers. They often don't have arguments to support their view and simply say that sovereignty will solve every problems period.

So, no I'm not trying to do propaganda, but it is still an important aspect of my culture and I'm still proud to be a part of Quebec despite the fact that I also consider myself Canadian...It's like a dual citizenship!
''I swiftly matured into a fine example of my species and with my parents' assistance, achieved independence.
Specifically, they pried me from the doorjamb, and rolled me into the street.'' -Fwiffo

User avatar
Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags
Posts: 1611
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:10 pm

Re: A bit of my history

Post by Angelfish » Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:19 pm

glory_device wrote:Boy you wish...I'm actually a federalist in all that story and I can't stand some of the sovereignist that are basically clueless about their situation and are simply world class complainers. They often don't have arguments to support their view and simply say that sovereignty will solve every problems period.

So, no I'm not trying to do propaganda, but it is still an important aspect of my culture and I'm still proud to be a part of Quebec despite the fact that I also consider myself Canadian...It's like a dual citizenship!
Do you have square wheels on your cars?

User avatar
The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags
Posts: 1337
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:16 pm
Location: Dallas, TX

Re: A bit of my history

Post by The Troglodyte » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:06 pm

Angelfish wrote:
Do you have square wheels on your cars?
Darn, that was going to be my question.
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

glory_device
Ilwrath torturer
Posts: 461
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:02 am
Location: Laval, Canada

Re: A bit of my history

Post by glory_device » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:58 pm

The Troglodyte wrote:
Angelfish wrote:
Do you have square wheels on your cars?
Darn, that was going to be my question.
Image

Is this some weird stereotype about Canadian that I'm not aware of? The only one related is that Quebecers often mention rest of canada (ROC) citizens as square heads.
''I swiftly matured into a fine example of my species and with my parents' assistance, achieved independence.
Specifically, they pried me from the doorjamb, and rolled me into the street.'' -Fwiffo

User avatar
Quasispatial
Yehat Revolutionist
Posts: 650
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:10 am
Location: Sweden

Re: A bit of my history

Post by Quasispatial » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:10 pm

glory_device wrote:Is this some weird stereotype about Canadian that I'm not aware of? The only one related is that Quebecers often mention rest of canada (ROC) citizens as square heads.
I think it was a joke, actually.
"Sentient life. We are the Ur-Quan. Independence is intolerable. Blah, blah, blah." - the Spathi High Council, Star Control II.

Post Reply