A bit of my history

Anything that isn't Star Control. Mind your manners!

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Scott Irving
Site Admin

Re: A bit of my history

Post by Scott Irving » Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:02 am

curse my lack of free time and lazyness.. i miss topics about our land of Snow!

Yes I'm from Canada, Alberta to be specific, were like the Texas of the north (but with allot less humidity..thank god.), actually that's probably a stereotype too really because we have oil, cause from my limited knowledge of Texas were allot greener (and much colder) not as much as BC which is basically a giant forest with mountains on one side and ocean on the other actually reminds me of Vermont or some of that area of the States, in other words beautiful.. Normally we have a ton of snow at the moment though not so much, I've only had to shovel snow twice so far..any Edmonton the capital here has so many Festival we have the nick name of "Festival City" during the summer there is literally tons of stuff happening, Edmonton and Calgary also host large comicon type events that keep growing every year (see Comic Expo), I've attended both in desperate attempts to buy autographs from the cast of Firefly..I have one.. damn lines.

We used to have a good Hockey team (Oilers) but i gave up on them in oh 2006 was it..were getting a WICKED new arena for the team which i believe opens next year in the Capital downtown core so lots to see around it, ive been watching it get built and it will be pretty darn snazy, our football team (Eskimos, see a trend) did win the Canadian version of the Superbowl just recently.. honest it's less redneck around here than people think.. Um what other random things to throw out there, Edmonton hates Calgary and vice versa.. it's a weird rivalry, oh stereotypes! I have seen a dog sled never used one, I have built an igloo for outdoor survival class, I've gone camping in sub-zero temps, I've never seen a real polar bear. Though we do pretty much all feel Toronto is the "center of the universe" when it comes to Canada (and not in a good way..)

Oh wow i need to get to bed.. have to be up at 5 for work..gaaah
Site Admin and General Techie person. Also I'm batman.

2-23-6
Always *jumping in front*

Post by 2-23-6 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:59 pm

I lived in Edmonton in the winter of 2007. We probably should have met.

glory_device
Ilwrath torturer

Post by glory_device » Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:23 am

Scott Irving wrote:curse my lack of free time and lazyness.. i miss topics about our land of Snow!

Yes I'm from Canada, Alberta to be specific, were like the Texas of the north (but with allot less humidity..thank god.), actually that's probably a stereotype too really because we have oil, cause from my limited knowledge of Texas were allot greener (and much colder) not as much as BC which is basically a giant forest with mountains on one side and ocean on the other actually reminds me of Vermont or some of that area of the States, in other words beautiful.. Normally we have a ton of snow at the moment though not so much, I've only had to shovel snow twice so far..any Edmonton the capital here has so many Festival we have the nick name of "Festival City" during the summer there is literally tons of stuff happening, Edmonton and Calgary also host large comicon type events that keep growing every year (see Comic Expo), I've attended both in desperate attempts to buy autographs from the cast of Firefly..I have one.. damn lines.

We used to have a good Hockey team (Oilers) but i gave up on them in oh 2006 was it..were getting a WICKED new arena for the team which i believe opens next year in the Capital downtown core so lots to see around it, ive been watching it get built and it will be pretty darn snazy, our football team (Eskimos, see a trend) did win the Canadian version of the Superbowl just recently.. honest it's less redneck around here than people think.. Um what other random things to throw out there, Edmonton hates Calgary and vice versa.. it's a weird rivalry, oh stereotypes! I have seen a dog sled never used one, I have built an igloo for outdoor survival class, I've gone camping in sub-zero temps, I've never seen a real polar bear. Though we do pretty much all feel Toronto is the "center of the universe" when it comes to Canada (and not in a good way..)

Oh wow i need to get to bed.. have to be up at 5 for work..gaaah
It's been a long time since I talked to someone from Alberta. Never went there myself, but it's on the to-do list of life.

That being said, the reasons why we call Alberta the Canadian Rednecks is because of their electoral tendencies to elect conservative (aka republicans) and to be mostly leaning toward the right-wing on several issues. I believe however that this cliché is based on your political class and the choice they made rather than the people itself...

Speaking of snow...right now everything is green here in Montreal...kinda killing the Christmas mood
''I swiftly matured into a fine example of my species and with my parents' assistance, achieved independence.
Specifically, they pried me from the doorjamb, and rolled me into the street.'' -Fwiffo

Scott Irving
Site Admin

Post by Scott Irving » Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:35 am

We just got a light dusting of rain,snow and inbetween.. messes with the roads really nicely but at least there will be snow for the holidays.

Yeah i can understand that point of view, though we did elect NDP provincially but that i think was mostly driven by the demand to get the local conservatives out and less about actual policy (which is bad), i was still blown away by the conservative support in the Federal election here, given how much anti-harper sentiment was going around.Personally i sit around the middle with left leaning tendencies and a few right. I'm not particularly happy about the provincial government but hoping the new federal government does what it claims it's going to but anyway enough politics, that's just a can of worms.

I've only driven through southern Montreal and never got to see much of the city let alone the awesome Historical stuff. Eventually I hope to, have to brush up on my french a bit too, never could get it very well growing up. I'll need to know more then hello, good bye, my mood and the time of day and month lol. oh and the very handy ecole and tablo.
Site Admin and General Techie person. Also I'm batman.

glory_device
Ilwrath torturer

Post by glory_device » Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:01 am

Politics..only a can of worm? It's a can full of large worms in star-wars empire strikes back! :lol:

école = school and tableau = chalkboard!

Well if you ever swing by MTL again, let me know and it will be a pleasure to meet and greet or show you bits of the city!

(that goes to all socially non awkward members of the board ;) )
''I swiftly matured into a fine example of my species and with my parents' assistance, achieved independence.
Specifically, they pried me from the doorjamb, and rolled me into the street.'' -Fwiffo

2-23-6
Always *jumping in front*

Post by 2-23-6 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:38 pm

Well, fuck me, I was only in Montreal last September.

glory_device
Ilwrath torturer

Post by glory_device » Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:50 pm

damn :-( would have been a pleasure!!!

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:02 pm

I should've realized that one of favorite cartoons, Johnny Test, is actually American-Canadian!

Anyways, I was watching it the other day and something reminded me of you glory_device when you mentioned the silent "x" and all:

Of course, all of his classmates laughed and made fun of him afterwards!
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

glory_device
Ilwrath torturer

Post by glory_device » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:20 pm

....hahahaha that reminded me so much of a French movie I saw a while ago set in the stone age (Age de pierre in french) where all characters of a tribe were named...Pierre...and at some point in the movie, a foreigner comes and he is named Guy.

-My name is Guy,
-Pierre?
-No no no it's Guy G-U-Y.
-geg geg ghu ghu...Pierre
-No more like Guy
-gh gh gh ahhhh screw that from now on your called Pierre !

Or something like that

...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aO6vqOqMN4 Around 2:04 if you want to hear the original (I might have screwed the translation a bit)

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:14 pm

I watched it but really had no clue what they were saying since the only words I know in French are "rendezvous" and "croissant," but I still found the role call scene pretty funny despite this fact! :lol:

Hmmm... how were they able to tell when their "Pierre" being called out was them?!
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh