The YouTube Thread

Anything that isn't Star Control. Mind your manners!

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Dragon
Reborn Shofixti

Re: The YouTube Thread

Post by Dragon » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:28 pm

glory_device wrote:Cookies for the one who figure it out!
The old dude at 0:52 :P-smf. Also, thinking of cookies and Zarnium's sesame street vid. Remember this guy?

'Course you remember The Count. But now - where I work - whenever someone says a low number everyone laughs like the count. It can make for some slow conversations.

RTyp06
Ilwrath spawn

Post by RTyp06 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:08 pm

Thought provoking.

btw, does anyone know why some YouTube URLs do not work inside the tags here?

Edited; gracious senior'.
Last edited by RTyp06 on Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Alvarin » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:39 pm

Because of httpS. Make it just http and it'll work.
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.

glory_device
Ilwrath torturer

Post by glory_device » Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:07 am

nah dragon...I'm not that old ! :lol:
''I swiftly matured into a fine example of my species and with my parents' assistance, achieved independence.
Specifically, they pried me from the doorjamb, and rolled me into the street.'' -Fwiffo

RTyp06
Ilwrath spawn

Post by RTyp06 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:08 am

Nuclear detonations throughout history. Eerie but fascinating.

ThriveDev
Silly Supox

Post by ThriveDev » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:27 am

RTyp06 wrote:Nuclear detonations throughout history. Eerie but fascinating.
Interesting. The music of death :P
*Sees quasispace portal* Yes! *Portal dissapears*

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:06 pm

Aside from the second and third of them, mostly potential death rather than actual death.

Mostly.

RTyp06
Ilwrath spawn

Post by RTyp06 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:17 pm

If I remember correctly, Hiroshima had an estimated 50k killed instantly and Nagasaki was another 20k. And that's not considering the thousands of Japanese that suffered and died in the months and years following the attacks. Such instantaneous loss of life is hard to envision and the bombings hard to justify given the state of Japan at that point of the war.

oldlaptop
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by oldlaptop » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:24 pm

RTyp06 wrote:If I remember correctly, Hiroshima had an estimated 50k killed instantly and Nagasaki was another 20k. And that's not considering the thousands of Japanese that suffered and died in the months and years following the attacks. Such instantaneous loss of life is hard to envision and the bombings hard to justify given the state of Japan at that point of the war.
I wouldn't discount other historical possibilities so easily. An amphibious invasion of Japan (the most likely outcome without a prior surrender) would have been one of the bloodiest military operations in history, with total casualties on all sides likely to reach into the *millions*.
Play Supermelee online in #uqm-arena!
Netmelee Improvement Mod

RTyp06
Ilwrath spawn

Post by RTyp06 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:21 am

oldlaptop wrote:
RTyp06 wrote:If I remember correctly, Hiroshima had an estimated 50k killed instantly and Nagasaki was another 20k. And that's not considering the thousands of Japanese that suffered and died in the months and years following the attacks. Such instantaneous loss of life is hard to envision and the bombings hard to justify given the state of Japan at that point of the war.
I wouldn't discount other historical possibilities so easily. An amphibious invasion of Japan (the most likely outcome without a prior surrender) would have been one of the bloodiest military operations in history, with total casualties on all sides likely to reach into the *millions*.
Indeed, I am not discounting the defenders of the American decision to drop the bombs. The decision remains controversial, even today. I have heard the argument that the bombs ultimately saved many more lives than they took and knew about the planned invasion of the Japanese mainland. However the critics have some good arguments as well and in my view have the better position, even if only slightly so.

Japan was weeks away from surrender already and their ability to wage war was decimated before the bombs were even dropped. The constant conventional fire bombing of Japanese cities and infrastructure by allied forces coupled with Russia sweeping Japanese forces out of occupied China were enough to guarantee surrender in many people's view.

America did not want to split up Japan with Russia like what happened in Germany and wanted to facilitate a timely, unconditional surrender. Thus the decision has a political element that cannot be ignored. We simply couldn't tolerate to possibility of Japan surrendering to Russia, especially considering the massive effort American forces put forth in the Pacific theater.

All things considered, I personally don't believe such massive civilian casualties were necessary and surrender was inevitable without a full scale invasion of the Japanese mainland.