Star Control Discussion Board

All About Star Control
It is currently Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:41 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Formerly spam thread
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:19 pm 
Ilwrath torturer

Location: Hillopia, currently imprisoned in Invictler Slave Hive.
Nice try. But no thanks.

Post subject: Re: BUY ORIGINAL,TOEFL,IELTS,TOEIC,PASSPORT,ID CARDS,VISA,DR
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:23 pm 
Slylandro gasbags

Transmit destruct sequence!

Post subject: Wrong name.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:40 pm 
Ilwrath spawn

I cannot take you seriously, as you chose the wrong name, and eish to be paid in the wrong currency.

I can only pay with crew members, egg shell fragments, bio data, and/or the location of so-called "rainbow worlds".
And I do not need medications, I need rare artifacts, technology, and information about alien nations, as well as fuel. Massive loads of the latter.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:10 pm 
Yehat Revolutionist

I guess this specific post, by virtue of being within the "off topic" section, isn't as serious an offender. Whilst I do believe the other instances of this topic should be exterminated in true Kohr-Ah style, this one deserves some... interesting handling. To be honest, I have no idea what it's talking about, save for the general hum that it's trying to sell me something. Completely failing at it, of course. Next time, bot, may I suggest trying for something which isn't about as clear as a Pkunk prophecy?

Destroying the base on Luna might help too.

Post subject: discussing coming from a random spam post
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:05 am 
Ilwrath spawn

He's selling forged "official documents", like proof of nationality, marriage, driver licences, ...
It's illegal to advertise that kind of stuff here, as well as offering them. Even using such services will be fined with prison.
Also, why would I trust someone to give me "good fakes" to not cheat me, when I want to use his work to cheat authorities? And them knowing I could go nowhere to complain or sue them, as that would amount to admitting using illegal services?

[...]accepted anywhere without any dought.
BTW, interesting spelling.
"dought"... Did it mean "thought" or "doubt"?
Or is my dictionary not good enough?

BTW: usually our ZFP Peacekeepers zap these posts very quickly...
Is none of them online? I still see the other posts this spammer created, and that is highly unusual.

Also, if deciding to keep the OP (Opening Post), any links and "keywords" and contact data should be fully removed, also from the account profile page of the spammer.
Also the title should be changed, IMHO.

Post subject: Re: discussion coming from a random spam post
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:11 pm 
Yehat Revolutionist

krulle wrote:
Is none of them online? I still see the other posts this spammer created, and that is highly unusual.

Well, the ZFP Peacekeeper group currently consists of Frumple, Scott, Luki, Atarex, Death and Alvarin. The last joiner was somewhere around 2010, and the presence of the group has since started to deteriorate as some members' presences lessen. Of the ones mentioned, I haven't seen very many around. Only Death and Alvarin seem to be regular visitors - none of the others have been seen this month. Since neither of those two have been online since the creation of these spam posts, one can understand why there's not been any taken actions yet.

That being said, it might be a good idea to expand the Peacekeeper group somewhat. Upping response times and all that. It could be days, months or years, but eventually there aren't going to be any regular visitors left within the ZFP Peacekeepers, so some new members will be needed sooner or later. I'd nominate Troglodyte for the position, but he's still dodging spoilers so we'd definitely need at least one more. I don't really feel that two active members are enough to create an effective peacekeeping force. There's a limit to how much two people can accomplish.

Post subject: Just buy their fake documents so they'll leave us alone!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:07 pm 
Slylandro gasbags

Quasispatial wrote:
krulle wrote:

Well, the ZFP Peacekeeper group currently consists of Frumple, Scott, Luki, Atarex, Death and Alvarin. The last joiner was somewhere around 2010, and the presence of the group has since started to deteriorate as some members' presences lessen. Of the ones mentioned, I haven't seen very many around. Only Death and Alvarin seem to be regular visitors - none of the others have been seen this month. Since neither of those two have been online since the creation of these spam posts, one can understand why there's not been any taken actions yet.

That being said, it might be a good idea to expand the Peacekeeper group somewhat. Upping response times and all that. It could be days, months or years, but eventually there aren't going to be any regular visitors left within the ZFP Peacekeepers, so some new members will be needed sooner or later. I'd nominate Troglodyte for the position, but he's still dodging spoilers so we'd definitely need at least one more. I don't really feel that two active members are enough to create an effective peacekeeping force. There's a limit to how much two people can accomplish.

Compared with how it was before, our forum infrastructure and mod involvement has increased dramatically. It was only due to the fast response of enlistment by our administration that the spammer managed to infiltrate in the first place, which is not their fault. Maybe the entry questions aren't tough enough.

There is indeed a limit to how much 2 mods can do, but frankly, that does make up around 20% (or more ;( ) of our actively posting group, therefore delayed response should be expected; I mean, it's only been a day, so it might be bit early to start knocking down Scott Irving's door. Death 999 and Alvarin are always popping in throughout each week, but everybody can get occupied with life outside of Star Control things.

By the way, I appreciate the nom Q, but I still feel unqualified for becoming a mod for reasons already stated, but as a SCDB frequent flyer I've taken notice of your often occurring presence, so perhaps you'd like to volunteer to become one. If the administration does wish to take further action to increase our efficiency, I hereby nominate Quasispatial!

Post subject: Re: Just buy their fake documents so they'll leave us alone!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:08 pm 
Yehat Revolutionist

The Troglodyte wrote:
Compared with how it was before, our forum infrastructure and mod involvement has increased dramatically. It was only due to the fast response of enlistment by our administration that the spammer managed to infiltrate in the first place, which is not their fault. Maybe the entry questions aren't tough enough.

There is indeed a limit to how much 2 mods can do, but frankly, that does make up around 20% (or more ;( ) of our actively posting group, therefore delayed response should be expected; I mean, it's only been a day, so it might be bit early to start knocking down Scott Irving's door. Death 999 and Alvarin are always popping in throughout each week, but everybody can get occupied with life outside of Star Control things.

I'm not saying that there is anything fundamentally wrong with anything - the administration is doing a good job. I certainly do not believe that they sit and stare at the forum 24/7; real life comes first, there's no doubt about that, and some delay in responses is very much to be expected. If it had been around for two weeks, that would be a different matter, but as it is, they definitely aren't doing anything wrong. It was more the fact that there used to be six people in the ZFP Peacekeepers, but in practicality only two remain on a regular basis, that drew my attention. The current spam is more a reason to bring up the topic than anything.

The Troglodyte wrote:
By the way, I appreciate the nom Q, but I still feel unqualified for becoming a mod for reasons already stated, but as a SCDB frequent flyer I've taken notice of your often occurring presence, so perhaps you'd like to volunteer to become one. If the administration does wish to take further action to increase our efficiency, I hereby nominate Quasispatial!

I'm flattered you would think me suitable for this. Of course, just like anyone else I would only have so much time to devote to this task, but I'd do my best and, really, as long as the moderators do not abuse their power -which I have no intention of doing; I'm generally very careful about using any such power when I come across it- it wouldn't really do any harm even if I find myself unable to appear consistently. It's all up to the admins, of course, but I wouldn't be opposed to the role if the option were to be given to me.

Post subject: mod activities
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:48 pm 
Ilwrath spawn

well, on a board like ours, you'd be more busy activating accounts and removing spam/spammers than being active in discussions, i fear...

I'm passing by regularly while working (instead of smoking breaks), but then I already dropped out of this community several times, before coming back.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:02 pm 
Ilwrath torturer

Location: Hillopia, currently imprisoned in Invictler Slave Hive.
I'm pretty active but I definitely don't feel responsible enough to be a mod.