The New members thread

Anything that isn't Star Control. Mind your manners!

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

son-of-Ahab
ZEXy Beast
Location: A 24th-century whaling ship, with madness in heart and harpoon in hand, baptized in nomine humanitas

Re: The New members thread

Post by son-of-Ahab » Mon May 24, 2010 6:30 am

I'm kinda pissed at timing out while trying to submit a lengthy self-introduction post. It came with a short history of the space opera subgenre and Star Control's place in it. (I think the space opera has enough life in it left to justify a true Star Control III.)

I explained that I tried to play through The Ur-Quan Masters last month. I had become so engrossed in the story that when I discovered the Kohr-Ah slaughtering the known sentient universe, I quit. I couldn't handle all of these people, whom I'd tried time and time again to save from each other - especially the Pkunk, to whom I'd felt especially attached - being killed. When I realized that I'd become attached to fictional characters, I grew instantly impressed with the game. It had accomplished what only the greats among written and filmed stories do with much success, even with empathetes like me, who get pretty easily attached to the suffering of even fictional people.

Now I am trying a second time with a few hints from the Ultronomicon. I remember now why the game was too valuable to rub out of my memory: it was too fun of a tribute to everything else in science fiction. You could interpret the Androsynths to be a fleshing out of what a clone rebellion would have looked like after the events of Philip K. Dick's Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? - with a pretty Dickish ending to their story using the Orz. (You know Dick would have killed off a race of intelligent, accomplished clones, who should have the compassion of cosmic karma after all the humans had done to them, with something as absurd and unexpected as the Orz. Especially since the Orz seem connected to an indescribable, completely dark force; it reminds of Dick's motif of a massive, demiurgic force, bent on keeping the little guys in history in chains.) In less tragic examples, the Syreen seem locked in Princess Leia's infamous slave garb and pose, not to mention being a farcical race of mostly blue humanoid nympho's (which makes for a laughing reflection at every female caricature in science fiction film up to the late '60s). For the other sex, the Thraddash seem to play with Arnold Schwarzenegger's clownish, ueber-male reign in sci-fi films. We even have in the game what reminds me of the American cultural tendency to give a British touch to fictional opponents (in Star Control's case, the VUX, or the Imperial officers in Star Wars - ever notice that they have British accents, while the rebels have American ones?). And, speaking of Star Wars, we have the Sa-Matra, with its Death Star-like Achilles' heel. Ha - perhaps it would be quicker to mention common science fiction elements that don't have an echo in Star Control II.

So, to cut my rambling off, I'm a fan. Sign me up for the nerdish or cultish things you people do together, especially if it involves nagging the Toys for Bob duo, to give us more of their light-hearted interpretations of our culture's self-projections into the future, which we call science fiction. In fact, you can mention to them that my amateur art critic ass appreciates them and that like any art critic, who are really all fans in disguise, I'm not ashamed to nag them for a real Star Control III.

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela » Mon May 24, 2010 8:35 am

Sage wrote:Lukipela, I hate to do this, but it is my duty to place you under a citizen's moderation arrest! This content clearly belongs in the Fan Content board! Bad moderator! Shame on you.
You just tired to perform a citizens arrest on Raul Castro in Cuba. Good luck with that. ;)

son-of-Ahab, welcome to the board! It's always nice to see new people around ,especially people who are as dedicated as you seem to be. The SCDB is a happy little island in the sea of the internet. We've got a news board that pops up something interesting now and then. Then there's a general discussion board for all those important questions on Shofixti diet, Mycon size and interest rates in an information based economy. Mods is for if you want to make something yourself and show us. Anything from art and music to puppets or interpretative dance. *Heavy Space* is where we play different games together or post our fan fiction, whereas Off Topic is for pretty much anything else. Here you can get to know what your fellow SC fans are like, where they are from, what they dream about and what they eat.

Don't be shy, dive right in and join the happiest little corner of the internet!

Eth
Shining Being of Pure Light and Blissful Love

Post by Eth » Mon May 24, 2010 8:06 pm

Son-of-Ahab, you're probably right about the Syreens' costumes, but I think there is a very Edgar Rice Burroughs "Princess of Mars" vibe there, too. Change the Syreens' skin green, and they'd be the spitting image of Dejah Thoris.

Dabir
Duke Franz Ferdinand

Post by Dabir » Mon May 24, 2010 9:18 pm

Isn't one of the captains called Dejah?

son-of-Ahab
ZEXy Beast
Location: A 24th-century whaling ship, with madness in heart and harpoon in hand, baptized in nomine humanitas

Post by son-of-Ahab » Mon May 24, 2010 11:52 pm

Thanks for the welcome, you three. Seems like I contributed to a tangent that if grown would have a moderator remove it eventually.

But yes, there are plenty of oversexed women in future fantasy, whom the creators changed only in color. More realistic females usually have to come through female authors like Ursula K. Le Guin. Slightly modified human beings and animals make up most sentient species in future fantasies; same with monsters in medieval fantasies, which are just super-animals or super-humans. Our imaginations don't wander far from home.

Okay, okay, I'll stop. For another thread. Point is, I'll stay tuned for SC fan news and community events. I never had the reflexes for real-time competitive games, so I'll never be a melee junkie and will skip the tournaments. Any event else I'd probably like to know about.

Nuclear
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Nuclear » Sat May 29, 2010 4:02 am

Well, while I'm still here I might as well welcome you to our so called Happy corner of the internet. Welcome welcome, Anarchy inducing and god-icidal walker of the void that is the internet, you fit right in with the rest of us ;D-smf . Please, enjoy your stay.
Hackers never die. They just terminate and stay resident.

son-of-Ahab
ZEXy Beast

Post by son-of-Ahab » Sat May 29, 2010 4:18 am

Nuclear wrote:Well, while I'm still here I might as well welcome you to our so called Happy corner of the internet. Welcome welcome, Anarchy inducing and god-icidal walker of the void that is the internet, you fit right in with the rest of us ;D-smf . Please, enjoy your stay.
Hey, thanks. Just got finished with my first successful run-through of UQM. Don't know whether I'll hunt down the first Star Control or just leave it at that; the heavily involved story-line was what attracted me to UQM and it doesn't seem that Star Control and III compare to II, from reviews of them.

Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Alvarin » Sat May 29, 2010 4:38 am

Star Control 1 is worth a try. The #3 might be worth a try, if only for understanding what people are talking about. You might even find the game playable, with some good things in it, because you will now have the benefit of knowing not to have high hopes for it, as probably the contrast between the expectation and the actual game was the worst part, not the game itself.
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.

Eth
Shining Being of Pure Light and Blissful Love

Post by Eth » Sat May 29, 2010 8:12 am

SC1 has no story content to speak of, but is nevertheless a good game. SC3 is similar to UQM in its general thrust, but is pretty flawed overall.

Guizot
Silly Supox

Post by Guizot » Sun May 30, 2010 3:29 am

I attempted to play Star Control 3, but I found it so vile that I was forced to stop almost immediately. I still think there needs to be an actual sequel to the masterful Star Control 2. Then again, I might have hyper-critical feelings of poor old number three. In any case, I am exited to spread my drivel through these fine forums. Mayhaps even compose a ditty to shatter your hapless eardrums…