Anything that isn't Star Control. Mind your manners!

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Alvarin » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:30 pm

This thread is trigered mostly by VenusRain's avatar.
I know I am wrong, but from the first time I've seen it, it appears to me as Jesus and a Spathi in cat costume...
There are also other avatars that I don't understand.

So, what DOES your avatar mean to you and where did it come from.
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Re: Avatar origin and meaning.

Post by Angelfish » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:09 pm

It's a purple moon on a green background ;).

Made by this guy: http://www.cerror.nl/
He also made me my own theme song: http://www.cerror.nl/music/xm/cerror-maanvis.xm

Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Alvarin » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:48 pm

Usually avatar is something that represents the persona. Why are you purple moon on a green background?

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:53 pm

It's a giant floating space nipple wrapped in a torturesome coil of titanium bands and it expresses my gigantic nipples.

In reality I first joined Channel 44 back in the day where this was an avatar. When it crashed I persuaded Chad to dig it up from the wreckage for me. Dunno, I just like it.

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:04 pm

Alvarin wrote:Usually avatar is something that represents the persona. Why are you purple moon on a green background?
Purple and green are my favourite colors. The freshwater angelfish, picture here, is shaped like a crescent moon, and is thusly called maanvis in dutch, which translates to moonfish. Hence the crescent shaped figure ;)

Eth
Shining Being of Pure Light and Blissful Love

Post by Eth » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:17 pm

Lemmee think now. When Chad set up the Yabb board (SCDB version 2?) there were a bunch of SC-themed avatars included. I didn't want to use a built-in avatar; I wanted something nobody else had. But in those days of expensive web-hosting, I didn't have any way to host an image, and I knew that it was bad to leech an image. So I needed to find something that was being used somewhere else on PONAF for an avatar. Being a slacker, and thus having an affinity for the Church of the Subgenius, I was drawn to Professor Zorg, then depicted on PONAF as a set of bright green lines with a transparent fill. This served me until I launched ethanfleischer.com, when I switched to a dark-gray on light-gray version, hosted on my own webserver. When Jesse and I decided to include Professor Zorg in "That Ur-Quan Master," I found a drawing that I considered particularly iconic and adapted into my current avatar (which is hosted on star-control.com, thanks to Chad's generous choice to allow us to host our own avatars here).

Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Alvarin » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:25 pm

Nice! Pretty deep there.

Mine is obviously Don Quixote Spathi.
I really admire the Spathi' technical abilities, they are said to achieve atomic propulsion from bronze age in a century.
The sarcastic speech and realistic point of view with touches of pessimism are pretty much me. The Quixote part is from references by my relatives and the fact I used to participate in LARPG.

It should hold a lance, rather than a spear, but that would require doubling the height of the pic and is not that important.

Nuclear
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Nuclear » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:42 pm

As I have stated in a past thread, this is General Klinganite, A fictitious insectoid alien which is capable of flying Wing Commander Prophecy style ships {In other words, hes a Nephilim....} In this particular picture, I attempted to make him look like some Nintendo style graphic, but I'll admit, the eyes are a little too high res. The only reason I'm using this instead of the Androsynth avatar is because, well, I made that GIF back then and its too big to be hosted on this site apparently, oh well :P-smf

The fair insectoid is based on this picture, which I also made
GeneralKlinganite with flares.jpg
GeneralKlinganite with flares.jpg (32.48 KiB) Viewed 6197 times

EDIT: Got my Androsynth Gif fixed
Last edited by Nuclear on Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hackers never die. They just terminate and stay resident.

Fossaman
Arilou wiseguy

Post by Fossaman » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:35 am

First internet forum I ever signed up for was one for the game 'Zoo Tycoon' so I figured I should have an animal themed name/avatar, and I'd just finished reading Gerald Durell's "The Aye-Aye and I," which is about Madagascar and its beasties. I kept the handle and avatar out of habit, I guess. I also like the fact that the picture creeps some people out.

VenusRain
Hunam adventurer

Post by VenusRain » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:55 am

My avatar's Arceus (also jokingly known as Pokegod) and Jesus. Mostly because I thought it was amusing.
Wild DEVIANT SCHOOLGIRL appeared!

Fight|Poke
Bag |>Run