The Pissed Off Megathread 2.0

Anything that isn't Star Control. Mind your manners!

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Saria
Pkunk Elder

Re: The Pissed Off Megathread 2.0

Post by Saria »

Am I bumping this? YOU BET.

My computer is dead at the moment. My main one, with all of my files. I'm using my laptop right now which is old and rickety, but still pretty okay. Slow, but okay. BUT IT DOESN'T HAVE MY SCHOOLWORK ON IT.

I need that computer for all of the extra assignments/activities/etc that I have signed up for and committed myself to. (OH MY GOD WHY IS THIS HAPPENING OH MY GGOOODDDD.) My parents are trying to get someone out for tomorrow because they want me to do 345 extra things for school

I'm prepared to get bitched at by everyone who I was supposed to do things for for tomorrow and Friday. :( Damn, It's not gonna be fun

Worse comes to worse I'll just pull an all nighter tomorrow and redo everything.. shiiii--
Eth
Shining Being of Pure Light and Blissful Love

Post by Eth »

Rider
Not Ride Her

Post by Rider »

You could also get a simple drive bay for your Hard Disk and see if you can salvage anything important. If you'll just use it for backups it's a lot cheaper to buy regular HDs dor it than to invest in portable harddisks.
Hehe, that's what I said!
Saria
Pkunk Elder

Post by Saria »

I'm usually religious about backing up my stuff, but I was so busy this week that it didn't occur to me to do so, considering this stuff was sprung on me Monday-ish. Well that's what I get for thinking like that, eh?

Its alright, after 2hrs of total sleep I got a good majority of my work done. Welp... Off to school.

I'll see if I can salvage anything tonight, but my power won't turn on and gutting out my computer isn't the best idea when my friend will be coming over later today to try to help.
Bleeding Star
Ilwrath spawn

Post by Bleeding Star »

Saria wrote:I'll see if I can salvage anything tonight, but my power won't turn on and gutting out my computer isn't the best idea when my friend will be coming over later today to try to help.
Good luck!

As for me, fuck snow. Fuck it in the ear. I spent an hour moving my car two feet forward and then two feet back. There's only a foot or so of snow, but we're completely unprepared to deal with it. Thinking about walking to the store this afternoon, if it ever stops snowing.
Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Alvarin »

Saria wrote: but my power won't turn on
Did you verify the power is plugged in?

//me dodges rotten tomatoes
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.
RTyp06
Ilwrath spawn

Post by RTyp06 »

Gee Eth, an expensive external HD? This is the 21st century after all .. I use a USB Flash drive (aka. Thumb Drive) to back up my important documents. Unless someone is operating a huge database of information, a small, inexpensive flash drive should suffice.
Quinarbre
Orz *camper*

Post by Quinarbre »

Well, as much as I fear treading into Off Topic, I'm PISSED OFF at Avira.

A few weeks ago, my computer began locking randomly, losing text and images, up to the point where it was completely unusable after a random delay between 1 and 6 hours and needed rebooting.

I literaly tore it down to locate the issue, since it could have been the video card dying or the CPU temperature going too high. I even physically broke my video card in the process (to be fair, my cat helped by throwing it away from the desk to make room for itself). I spent hours looking for malware. I formatted my windows partition and re-installed my system entirely.

And it turns out Avira Antivir version 10 simply has this subtle paged memory bug, which makes your computer go bonkers after a while. Do you think they would post a bugfix quickly ? Or send a mail to all registered users ? Or put a warning on their homepage ? Nope, nope, nope. A few threads in a forum that's not even directly accessible from their homepage, all of said threads initiated by users, and sometimes acknowledged by an administrator "We know, we're working on it".
Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela »

Saria wrote:Its alright, after 2hrs of total sleep I got a good majority of my work done. Welp... Off to school.
I'm pissed your sacrificing health for extra cred. Seriously, you need your sleep to stay healthy.
Bleeding Star wrote:As for me, fuck snow. Fuck it in the ear. I spent an hour moving my car two feet forward and then two feet back. There's only a foot or so of snow, but we're completely unprepared to deal with it. Thinking about walking to the store this afternoon, if it ever stops snowing.
DSC03025-1.JPG
DSC03025-1.JPG (189.23 KiB) Viewed 1983 times
I get pissed off when weakling complain about a little snow. try bicycling 3 km's to work in this every day.
Quinarbre wrote:Well, as much as I fear treading into Off Topic, I'm PISSED OFF at Avira.
I'm pissed you fear the OT section. Also, if you paid for that software they owe you something at least.
Eth
Shining Being of Pure Light and Blissful Love

Post by Eth »

RTyp06 wrote:Gee Eth, an expensive external HD? This is the 21st century after all .. I use a USB Flash drive (aka. Thumb Drive) to back up my important documents. Unless someone is operating a huge database of information, a small, inexpensive flash drive should suffice.
I've heard that flash drives aren't as reliable as a hard drive.