North Korea

Anything that isn't Star Control. Mind your manners!

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Cedric6014
Arilou wiseguy

Re: North Korea

Post by Cedric6014 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:55 pm

Saria wrote: It depends on what sort of war spending is going on. The reason why war can boost economic growth is because during war times people is because employment opportunities arrive, but honestly that depends on whether or not the country is producing enough supplies to go to war in the first place and if a military draft is in place which would cause that increase in jobs.

As a rule, prolonged war usually kills economies but quicker wars usually stimulate it…
That is basically correct. The only places that can see conomc benefit from wars are those that produce arms and munitions - i.e. the USA.

In the end war doesn't produce stuff, it consumes stuff. Always a net loss all round.

And the USA has spent trillions on Iraq and Afganistan but has not had trillions back in economic benefit even though it manufactures all the weapons. Because, as Saria says, these are long drawn out wars

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:11 pm

RTyp06 wrote:Well I got my news from MSNBC

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40349704/ns ... iapacific/

..and it says two civilian deaths.

So my news is "wrong" because "Dear Leader" said so?
Not "dear leader" , but the dutch news agency. And the US have already announced that they will meet further North Korean attacks with a retaliatory strike with combined forces with South Korea. They have even sent an aircraft carrier to korean waters.
Besides that, in your original post you didn't distinguish between civilian deaths and military deaths. It's 2 civilians and 2 marine personnel ;).
Anyway, North Korea says the South Koreans started shooting. Why would we choose sides in a conflict of which the facts aren't consistent?

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:21 pm

Out of curiosity, which dutch news service is this? A link would be cool, especially if they have an english version

I think it's a lot more probable that the North started shooting, but it'd be interesting to know where the opposing information stems from. Reporters, officials somewhere or something else?

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:37 pm

Lukipela wrote:Out of curiosity, which dutch news service is this? A link would be cool, especially if they have an english version
ANP, i'm not sure if they have an english version. Though they state that the message came from the north korean press agency.
I think it's a lot more probable that the North started shooting
That would be a convenient truth indeed. With no way to verify either side of the story I refuse to side with anyone. I think it's best if peace negotiations are started again, before things deteriorate further.

RTyp06
Ilwrath spawn

Post by RTyp06 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:39 pm

So basicly I should read and trust the superior Dutch news agency and not trust "my pro-western propoganda news source" is what you're saying? Ok how about the South Korean warship sinking a while back - did the South ask for that one too?

We've had troops stationed in S. Korea since at least the 50's. If they are provoked into a state of war should we pull our troops out or should we try to protect them?

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:49 pm

RTyp06 wrote:So basicly I should read and trust the superior Dutch news agency and not trust "my pro-western propoganda news source" is what you're saying? Ok how about the South Korean warship sinking a while back - did the South ask for that one too?
No, I'm saying you should not believe everything the news agencies tell you. Suppose this news was a 'setup' by either the South Korean or US government, what methods would you use to be certain that they tell the truth?

For example, the war in Iraq was entered into with the supposed existance of WMD's as a 'casus belli'. No WMD's or evidence of them being there were found.

That warship sinking a while back -- the south koreans themselves admitted that it was hit by a mine, which could have either been put there recently by the north koreans, or back when the korean war transpired 60 years ago...
But immediately after the incident, the south koreans said that it was hit by a torpedo, a north korean one. Why judge so quickly before proper research has been done?
We've had troops stationed in S. Korea since at least the 50's. If they are provoked into a state of war should we pull our troops out or should we try to protect them?
I think you should try and negotiate peace instead of going in, guns blazing.

RTyp06
Ilwrath spawn

Post by RTyp06 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:05 pm

No, I'm saying you should not believe everything the news agencies tell you.
That could be considered a double edged sword. :)

For what it's worth, I have high regard for the BBC and trust thier sources better than anyone else. I remember seeing discrepencies in troop death counts early in the Iraq war between CNN and the BBC.

Stationing the carrier there is just sabre rattling. I doubt we will go "cowboy" with guns blazing into N.K.

Sage
Wise and Ancient Soul

Post by Sage » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:29 pm

No, see what really happened is that North's troops got a little too close to the South's massive array of Photon Cannons, causing them to fire. :D

In all seriousness, war sucks, and more war sucks more.

Trusting news on any side (including outside) at this early point is rather silly, as many will have reasons to misrepresent the facts for whatever agenda.

Just what the US needs. Another fucking war.

With all these conflicts that US gets involved with/starts ongoing, I sometimes wonder if history is going to remember all of this as (the precursor to) a World War 3?

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:43 pm

Sage wrote:No, see what really happened is that North's troops got a little too close to the South's massive array of Photon Cannons, causing them to fire. :D
With all these conflicts that US gets involved with/starts ongoing, I sometimes wonder if history is going to remember all of this as (the precursor to) a World War 3?
If this turns nuclear, there won't be that many people to remember world war 3.

Right now I'm not sure what allies North Korea has to call in besides China?

Rider
Not Ride Her

Post by Rider » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:19 am

I certainly hope this doesn't escalate any further...

...it would be a serious threat to the current StarCraft 2 tournament going on :(
Hehe, that's what I said!