What are you dreaming about?

Anything that isn't Star Control. Mind your manners!

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Gekko
Ilwrath torturer

Re: What are you dreaming about?

Post by Gekko » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:58 am

Zeracles wrote:Maybe he had more pressing calls, getting shot is hardly the worst thing that can happen in dreamland.
Poetry.

Last night, sex. Aye, cool. Interestingly I have no idea who the partner was, but my brain had a decent taste in generating non-existing ladies. The dream was followed by riding a bus in Amsterdam and then getting lost. I wonder why I dream about Amsterdam so much. I've been there only once, if you don't count the times I've landed to the airport due to changing planes.
Visit #uqm-arena and play a game of Net Melee!
Try the Net Melee Improvement mod

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:55 pm

Here's an tangent I've been thinking about lately. Before you dream, you need to fall asleep. Me and my girlfriend do that in completely different ways though. Shell generally lie in bed, thinking of things that have happened during the day, of things that need to be done the next day, of things that need to be remembered and so on. eventually, she drifts off to sleep, but it can take a while, especially if she is stressed and there's a lot to do

I do something kinda different. I mean sure, I can spend a minute reflecting on the day or so, but then... Well, I'm not sure how to describe it. I guess it'd be fair to say that I make things up, that I fantasise about things that aren't real, and put myself in those situations. Often calming and peaceful situations, that evolve into a story at some point. Every night, I have the choice of restarting a story, creating a new one, or continuing one. Sometimes i'll remember an old one i haven't used in ages and that has all but disappeared. Sometimes I'll think of one that goes a different way. Sometimes it's something I'm writing like BEL or ABKS or Oddyssee, but generally it has little connection to those places.

In this fashion, I fall asleep pretty quickly, and I sleep well. Sometimes a story can continue as a dream, but generally I sleep quite heavily and recall nothing of my dreams.

Does anyone else do this? Is it weird and freakish? How do you fall asleep?

Gekko
Ilwrath torturer

Post by Gekko » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:22 pm

I'm absolutely unable to use your system. The problem is that when my brain begins creating it does that at full CPU usage. I've had nights when I have to get up and go write an idea down, or launch up Blender and tweak some polygons, or take that pencil and doodle the picture down. I am also now quite convinced that my internal clock is not 24 hours. My entire life I've had difficulties sleeping, but this has always been in a cyclic pattern:

Night #1: Go to bed at 21, can't catch any sleep until 02-03. Wake up dead tired at 7.
Night #2: Go to bed super early. Sleep 12 hours or so
Night #3: Can't get sleep, wake up tired
Night #4: Go to bed early
Repeat.

However, last summer I was working from my home via my own business. I could pick my own hours, work as long as I wanted without any regards to standard company 8 hour, 8-16 days policies. I usually did around 28 hour days, at times going for my morning jog at 02:00 in the morning. I had never slept better during my life (social life was difficult at times though). Of course, the university year was a difficult transformation back into 24 hour days. People on #uqm-arena may know my line: "Can't sleep. Anyone to kill?"

Now, on the question: How do I fall asleep? I don't go to bed unless I am tired. Or, if I'm not tired, I read a book until I'm tired. It's rare for me to be able to sleep unless I am ready for it, and my on/off switch simply doesn't go to the off position by forcing it. I've tried numbing my brain by some useless maths, not thinking anything, simply lying there waiting, doing muscle relaxation exercises... Nothing helps. Sleep comes when it comes.

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:43 pm

I have vague recollections of reading that people generally either have a 23 or 25 hour internal watch, so some people get plenty of sleep and others get too little. I wonder if it could be a combination for you, a 25 hour cycle coupled with problems going to sleep.

So when you're tired enough, you just lie down in bed and close your eyes? You have to be so tired that you basically can't sleep?

Gekko
Ilwrath torturer

Post by Gekko » Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:10 pm

Lukipela wrote: So when you're tired enough, you just lie down in bed and close your eyes? You have to be so tired that you basically can't sleep?
When I'm tired, I go lie down and my brain is numb. If I am tired, nothing is moving in there and I'm able to fall into nothingness by simply resting. Otherwise my brain is thinking and working and doesn't shut down easily. Compare this to the time you wake up in the morning due to your alarm going off and feel super tired before having your shower / cup of coffee. That's how I must feel to fall asleep, even if not to such extreme. I used to try simply waiting and attempting to think nothing when I first moved away from home, rolling under my sheets. After weeks of simply wasting hours and hours by waiting for sleep I gave up and decided to do something. I later on read about the topic, and like you say we humans aren't really 24 hours by default. All of us have our own inner clocks. Most notably the cave experiment* was something that made me think that I must simply have a long sleep cycle.

* Cave experiment: Geologist spends some months underground in a cave. He decides to also do a sleeping experiment by cutting all connections to the outside world where scientists are looking at his cycles. His cycle turned out to be very long (30+ hours), but he slipped into this slowly. The person later on organized a larger experiment with more subjects, and nearly all of them moved to cycles up to 38 hours.

Ziper1221
Silly Supox

Post by Ziper1221 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:58 am

I guess it'd be fair to say that I make things up, that I fantasise about things that aren't real, and put myself in those situations. Often calming and peaceful situations, that evolve into a story at some point. Every night, I have the choice of restarting a story, creating a new one, or continuing one.
I do the same thing, right before I fall asleep I can feel myself start dreaming, and sometimes I wake myself back up and it takes 5-10 minutes for that to happen over again.

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:11 pm

right, so Gekko and I am different on a very basic level. Fascinating.
Ziper1221 wrote:I do the same thing, right before I fall asleep I can feel myself start dreaming, and sometimes I wake myself back up and it takes 5-10 minutes for that to happen over again.
The way you phrase it sounds more like an involuntary passive thing, whilst I do this actively. A third option perhaps?

Gekko
Ilwrath torturer

Post by Gekko » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:50 pm

Last night I slept around 10 hours. I've had some problems sleeping for the past week, so it was a refreshing change. My dreams were split into parts at points where I woke up for a moment, and then continued the story a bit further in future.

It all began as a hospital story. I was held in a hospital for some reason, and I had been there so long that I had become good friends with the mate that was in the same room with me. The room, though, wasn't what you expect: It was this large hall with two very large rooms in it shaped like the letter U. At the very root of the U was a corridor going through the hospital (pictured here) that split the large hall into two sides. I was at the west side if considering the root of the U as south, and my friend was at east. The corridor that split the hall in two had stoves bordering it as if it was from some cooking show where people can watch the chef doing his cooking.

It was unclear why I was held in the hospital, but it was clear that I was there against my will. I occasionally wandered off to see the other areas of the hospital, but they were similar: If I went through the southern door I found similar rooms, but they all contained worse and worse patients. The further I went, the more serious their condition was. At the very last room the patients were simply waiting for death. It turned out that my room was one of the very first rooms and my condition wasn't thus considered that bad. At times I was discussing with someone, but I don't remember who it was. It was some kind of person, but not a doctor. Could have been someone trying to get me out. Once the person took me for a walk through the hospital and explained how I would soon begin descenting in the rooms towards the worse patients.

Later on it got really strange. All of sudden I required a fresh install USB of Arch Linux. I took my USB stick, walked to the row of stoves, plugged the USB stick into one one the ports in the stove and wondered how one cooks a Linux into the drive. At this point I noticed odd slime all around the room on the walls. This was mostly very colourful: one was red, one was green and one was purple. This slime was mostly some small, 20cm diameter clusters at random locations, but it was more common near the stove. I remember thinking: "I wish there would be less slime in the world. I know it's nearly impossible to wipe out as it is like birch sap: any attempt to wipe it out will simply rip and glue the paper on the sap." For some reason I knew that the slime was a common issue in the world all around, and nothing special. I looked the slime in disgust for a while and then went on to observing the stove more, attempting to find a way to begin writing the Arch Linux image on the drive. Eventually I found that there is a CD drive, and one could probably put the Arch Linux install CD in the drive, then direct the contents on the USB drive. I then walked to my room mate and observed how he prepared the food. He was actually doing cooking, which I found odd, and didn't use any of the USB ports for anything. I asked if he knew why they had such outdated technology as CD drives for storing digital content on some mobile medium, but he simply said I was doing it wrong. I went back to my stove and noticed that there were more ports at the rear side of the stove row.

I then woke up briefly, and the next time I fell asleep I was outside the hospital, running. It was clear that the friend who visited me had helped me out from the hospital, and I was now escaping as fast as I could from some people. I didn't actually see my pursuer yet, but I knew they would be coming. I got in a bus and drove to some random place, then came out completely lost. I knew I was in Helsinki, but nothing else. I then saw police closing in, and them pointing at me. The bus had already left, but another one was about to make its depart. However, the bus had already closed the door and was driving, so I hopped into a short sprint and leaped on top of the bus, hugging the roof in order to not fall. The police came chasing me in their cars, and the bus took part in my escape instead of stopping and asking why the police were chasing it. Later on the bus was driving at a curve in the road, and down from the road there was a somewhat steep cliff. The hill was grassy with no trees on it and at the bottom there was another road. Having more speed than suitable for the curve the bus drove too far and went down crashing the cliff, rotating and jumping wildly. Somehow I was able to keep my grip and, even when the bus was upside down, remained attached to the roof.

I hurt my leg in the process, and noticed how the police had stopped to the top of the hill, this time with some men in black suits next to them. I quickly stood up and started hurriedly and bleeding limping my way into the depths of the dark city streets. I managed to lose the pursuers and calmed down a bit. I was absolutely lost, cold, hurt and bleeding, with no idea why I was in that hospital in the first place.

I then woke up for a brief moment. When I fell asleep, I was riding a train somewhere in Finland, this time in full suit. At times I stepped out only to notice that I was somewhere in Helsinki, and I wanted to reach Norway. Cursing, I always went back in the train in hopes I would soon have a general idea where I was. At one moment I was in some smaller town close to my home town, and my childhood friend came onboard with his family. They waved me a happy greeting, to which I conservatively responded. I moved on to having some casual "long time no see" talk with them, but all this time I was sweating and observing the door into the cart. Then finally my childhood friend, still around 8 years old in the dream, asked if I still owned that pistol. To this his mother angrily said that no such man as Gekko would have anything illegal anymore, to which I said: "No, I no longer have the pistol. I have an air powered rifle though." then to the mother: "Completely legal as long it's air powered." Secretly I knew that I had a lot more than that, and even now had a pistol hidden in my shirt and a rifle back home. The conversation went on for a long while, and I noticed we were still at times arriving to some odd locations in Helsinki. I found myself wondering the possible scenarios that would occur if the agents would come searching the train. This being a dream the first scenario occurred as fast as I was done imagining it: three agents opened the door and took a quick glance at the cart, noticed me and began reaching their pistols. I responded faster, downing two of them with one taking cover behind the seats. I broke the window, jumped out, hit the ground and woke up.

Gekko
Ilwrath torturer

Post by Gekko » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:00 am

Last night I dreamed that I had to travel to Turkey for a scientific conference. For some reason I went there by train as "Turkey is merely across the border and after Russia. No reason to fly such a distance." I boarded a train (my seat was in carriage one) in Finland and carried my stuff in, for some reason two full bags and FOUR GUITARS. Eventually the train arrived to the last city before Finnish border, and as there was some time before the train departed I went out for some fresh air. There the conductor announced via a megaphone that everyone who was on "this" train should switch to platform 7 for the connection. Bewildered I changed the platform and boarded the train. I found it odd that there were only two carriages with no engine. The carriages involved in the train were seven and one, which I found odd. As the train was about to leave I quickly sprinted in carriage seven, which was a tiny carriage with too tight corridors.

The train moved on and I figured out that I was in the wrong carriage. The conductor came checking my ticket and pointed this out, then he took a closer look at my ticket and stated that I was in the wrong train. As I mentioned I was told to switch the train he pointed out that it didn't mean me. The conductor, suddenly woman for no reason, moved on to explaining how I would reach my destination now: Once I arrived in Iraq (Don't ask how dream geography works) I was to step out and find the central station, buy a new ticket and also make sure I get a traveller's insurance for my luggage. At this point I figured that I really should have taken an insurance as all my luggage was being transported to my original destination, the dream suddenly following air transit luggage system.

So the train arrived to the Russian border where everyone had to get out and continue on foot to Iraq. It was snowing and freezing, and suddenly all my luggage was with me, including all my four guitars. We moved on in the mix of snow and water through the Russian border, barely seeing anything in the snow storm. After the border we had to move carefully as we were moving on top of a frozen lake, which at times turned into a swamp. Naturally, my luggage was too heavy and I was pulled under. I was forced to abandon everything and drop them to the depths in order to survive. Once I got up I announced that I'm heading back and will be flying instead. A friendly person offered me a key to his home in the Finnish city where I switched trains so that I could rest over the night. I was speaking English with him, oddly. I hiked back to the city and woke up somewhere half way there.

There was also a dream involving being lost in woods and finding a Russian hermit who had settled in an abandoned city.

Dabir
Duke Franz Ferdinand

Post by Dabir » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:31 pm

Russian hermit in an abandoned city? Have you been playing Half-Life 2 recently?