Non-video games

Anything that isn't Star Control. Mind your manners!

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Rider
Not Ride Her

Non-video games

Post by Rider »

We've got threads for our favourite digital entertainment products, about our lives and dreams... but what about board games? I know there's some of you that play 'em (Magic: The Gathering for instance) so please share your own favourite non-video games!

I'm mostly a social gamer in this regard. I play the games when I know people who're into it and it makes for a great activity to meet up for and just hang out. Recently a friend of mine got this new game though and it was really something else. It's called Nightfall and it's essentially a deck builder game (like Thunderstone, for those who're familiar with that) where each game's contents is decided at random, and influenced by the players. These cards can be minions or actions and you use them to try to damage your fellow players. The player with the least 'wounds' at the end of the game is the winner.

Image Image

They have a really cool mechanic where, at the start of the game, you get to pick 2 cards of which only you can draw. So you can set yourself up for a particular style of play before any thing's really happened. But it's more then just the effect of the card that comes into play, it's also the chaining mechanic. Y'see, the game is divided into 4 phases: Combat, Chain, Claim and Cleanup. The combat phase is pretty straightforward, your minions attack one or multiple players. Then in the chain phase it gets interesting. Each card has a colour, indicated by a coloured moon on the card, and 1 or 2 smaller ones next to it. You can chain cards by adding cards that match these smaller moons. There's no limit to how many cards you want to chain as long as you adhere to the colouring. Then, once you're done, the next player can add cards to your chain as well, until all players have gone. The chain is then resolved backwards, starting with the last card added all the way back to your own.

This allows some interesting interaction between cards which may make your intended actions not quite what you had planned.

So far I've only played this game twice, but there seems to be a lot of depth to this game that I haven't been able to fully wrap my head around yet. Also pretty cool is the fact that, unlike most deck building games, you're playing other people, so some games can get pretty competitive.

If you're into board games, I'd definitely check it out.

TL;DR: Nightfall is awesome! It's got depth and you get to kick your friend's butts. Now go play it.
Hehe, that's what I said!
Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Re: Non-video games

Post by Draxas »

Physical games, huh? Well, it's a well recorded fact that I'm a big fan of Hero Quest, which anyone who remembers SC: BEL can see was an obvious inspiration. I also played a ton of Warhammer 40K (a long time ago; we're talking 2nd edition) and Necromunda, and was an especially huge fan of the latter, but both games got too expensive (and myself and my game group hated the 3rd edition 40K rules) to keep up with.

Just recently, I played Settlers of Catan for the first time. It's a very interesting social experience, especially with 4 savvy wheeler-dealers and strategists around the table. I'd love to play more, but it's rare when we can get enough people, unfortunately.

On the subject of card games, one of my favorites is Killer Bunnies. It's terribly amusing, though once you have all the expansions, it grows to almost unmanageable proportions. Still, it's a fun game that requires a surprising amount of strategy (though a fair bit of luck certainly helps) to do well at. Another favorite card game is Munchkin, mostly because my friends and I were D&Ders back in the day. Still, that's also a fun game to goof around with, especially considering the somewhat tongue-in-cheek nature of even the rulebook.

And then, going way, WAY back to my childhood, there's Car Wars. Considering the popularity of the Mad Max films at the time, that shouldn't come as much of a surprise. Still, it was a pretty sophisticated game for someone in grade school to be playing, and is probably the first game that really made me appreciate great atmosphere as well as fun gameplay. Of course, looking at more recent editions of the game, I barely recognize it... I think it may even be a card game now. Alas.
Dabir
Duke Franz Ferdinand

Post by Dabir »

I play MTG, and I'm a recovering Yugioh player. Also, me and some friends at school play DnD (Dwarf Fighter all the way). I don't do much board gaming, on account of how rarely my friends and I get together for any length of time.
Nuclear
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Nuclear »

I don't play Yu-Gi-Oh at all, but my I had a Koreon friend who gave me all of his cards for...some reason. Some of them looked pretty rare :ugeek:

I also don't play Pokemon, but a long time ago I used to buy the cards just for the sake of selling them when they became valuable. Sure enough, I have no shortage of now valuable cards, but I grew so attached to them that I never got around to selling them and probably never will...
Hackers never die. They just terminate and stay resident.
Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas »

Man, I totally forgot about the Pokemon TCG, I used to play that a bunch in college. I even managed to win a local tournament once upon a time, but once the expansions started coming fast and furious, and WotC started declaring older sets illegal for tournament play, I drifted away from it.
The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte »

Yeah, I've got thousands of Yu-Gi-Oh! cards and used to play alot. Pretty fun if you can get a group of friends that have their own cards. Or we used to invent decks with the massive amount of cards that I have.

Also, I used to play Shadowrun back in high school. I used to make different characters, orcs, mages, and street samarais. They've even got a new Shadowrun game on PC I've been thinking about getting after I get a new computer.
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh
Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas »

Man, I completely forgot this topic existed. Since 2011, I have become a much more avid board gamer, and have amassed quite a collection. I can also verify that Nightfall (from the OP) is an awesome game, I have the original set plus several of the expansions. However, if you've never played deckbuilders much or at all, it can be difficult to get into because of the fairly complex mechanics. Still, I love the game and wish I had the opportunity to play it more often.

It seems like there aren't too many board gamers on here though, so I'll refrain from boring you unless others are interested.
The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte »

Here's what I wrote in the collectibles and stuff topic:
The Troglodyte wrote:I've collected turtles since childhood. Not actual live ones, just random figurines given to me over the years by family and friends. I've also collected, like so many in these forums, many numerous video games.

I've always liked dragons so I got into Yu-Gi-Oh when it first arrived in America and a few friends and I used to have duels; I of course would always want to use my Dragon Deck. This of course resulted in us always wanting to surprise each other with new cards and we'd sometimes assemble new creative decks with the surplus of cards. We had a clown deck, a goblin deck, even a barnyard deck composed of farm animals and farm equipment looking cards! We'd find a new card and say something like, "This Rush Recklessly card has a picture of a hog on it, so it should go in the Barnyard deck!" Upon playing the card during a match, I'd say, "I activate THE HOG!".......ok, guess you had to be there. I spent a small fortune over time and still have thousands of cards. I even made 32 different decks and simulated an entire tournament...bet you'll never guess which deck won!
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh
Shiver
Arilou wiseguy

Post by Shiver »

Draxas wrote:It seems like there aren't too many board gamers on here though, so I'll refrain from boring you unless others are interested.
There are. I board game a little, and would play more if I had more real life friends that were into it. Current favorites are Cosmic Encounter and Agricola.
glory_device
Ilwrath torturer

Post by glory_device »

I can relate to the fact that finding people to play games is rare...So, I took matter in hand and decided to play with co workers.

Right now, my favorite game is Pandemic for the unusual cooperative experience it provide!
''I swiftly matured into a fine example of my species and with my parents' assistance, achieved independence.
Specifically, they pried me from the doorjamb, and rolled me into the street.'' -Fwiffo