My training in progress.

Anything that isn't Star Control. Mind your manners!

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

kingschosen
Pkunk Captain

My training in progress.

Post by kingschosen » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:18 pm

Ok, I may be slightly insane, but I've always loved hot stuff. So, I've begun the road to eating the hottest peppers on Earth. My training starts with orange habaneros, then it will progress to red habaneros, then ghost peppers, then infinity peppers, then naga viper peppers, and then the almighty scorpion pepper. I'm documenting it.

Here I am eating 2 orange habs.

PS - sorry about the shirt off thing. I really wasn't thinking about it when I made the video. I'm just a redneck from Louisiana, so I never really wear my shirt around the house.

Nuclear
Yehat Revolutionist

Re: My training in progress.

Post by Nuclear » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:34 pm

And so the slightly masochistic training of tastebud endurance begins...

You know, I've always wondered why peppers are hot on an evolutionary stand point. If they are too hot for some animals to eat, then isn't that detrimental to the peppers reproduction rate? Don't you want as many animals eating you as possible? Or is it some sort of niche that peppers fill for certain animals that have no problem eating hot plants, so they get free food for themselves.
Hackers never die. They just terminate and stay resident.

Dabir
Duke Franz Ferdinand

Post by Dabir » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:38 pm

Cracked.com claims it's the latter. Birds don't taste spiciness, and birds spread seeds over a wider area.

oldlaptop
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by oldlaptop » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:00 pm

Dabir wrote:Cracked.com claims it's the latter. Birds don't taste spiciness, and birds spread seeds over a wider area.
There's squirrel repellent (for birdfeeders) that works just that way. Highly spicy powder is added to the seed. Birds don't mind it at all, but squirrels tend to leave it alone.
Play Supermelee online in #uqm-arena!
Netmelee Improvement Mod

kingschosen
Pkunk Captain

Post by kingschosen » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:09 am

Nuclear wrote:And so the slightly masochistic training of tastebud endurance begins...

You know, I've always wondered why peppers are hot on an evolutionary stand point. If they are too hot for some animals to eat, then isn't that detrimental to the peppers reproduction rate? Don't you want as many animals eating you as possible? Or is it some sort of niche that peppers fill for certain animals that have no problem eating hot plants, so they get free food for themselves.
lol, yeah... it's going quite nicely. I'm going to be doing red savinas soon.

But anyway, pepper plants evolved capsaicin to deter mammals from eating their fruit because birds are far better at spreading seeds. Capsaicin only affects mammals. It's pretty crazy.

Nuclear
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Nuclear » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:13 am

Oh, never knew that. Actually makes a lot of sense that you'd only want birds eating you. Seems that peppers don't really fill a niche, but are just "smarter" then other plants that they evolved a territorial animal repellent.
Hackers never die. They just terminate and stay resident.

Bleeding Star
Ilwrath spawn

Post by Bleeding Star » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:32 pm

Good luck in your quest for ultimate manliness. Orange habaneros are about as much as I can handle. Once put half of one of those in a pasta dish and it was almost too spicy, fingers damn near burned off too. I'm used to birds-eye or plain red chillies, and the jump in heat is unbelievable.

I've heard that the "Scotch bonnet" is a spicy one too - you might want to add that to your list.

Fossaman
Arilou wiseguy

Post by Fossaman » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:24 am

The spicy-compounds are also good fungicides. Probably lets the fruit stay on the plant for a longer period of time, giving more opportunities for seeds to be eaten and dispersed.

Shiver
Arilou wiseguy

Post by Shiver » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:52 am

Ya, I'm a fan of capsaicin myself. I've tried everything up to using this little bottle of synthetic fun as a condiment. Still have one in my fridge, in fact. To the best of my knowledge, only The Source is hotter, and it's five times hotter so I do not feel much inclined towards trying it.

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:58 am

Nuclear wrote:Oh, never knew that. Actually makes a lot of sense that you'd only want birds eating you. Seems that peppers don't really fill a niche, but are just "smarter" then other plants that they evolved a territorial animal repellent.
Yeah, this was news to me too. Pretty cool really.

While I like spicy food, I was never much into the macho "I can eat something soooo hot" thing. But good luck anyway, be careful not to have a heart attack or something.