Minecraft server for the SC community?

Anything that isn't Star Control. Mind your manners!

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

RTyp06
Ilwrath spawn

Minecraft server for the SC community?

Post by RTyp06 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:26 pm

I was just wondering how many here are into minecraft and if anyone would be intereseted in playing on an SC community server? 1.8 beta is supposed to be coming out with NPC villages and a whole host of new stuff. 1.8 is due in a few weeks and that would be a perfect time to start a server with a new map.

I just thought I put this feeler out there and see what people think and if there is any interest.

Gekko
Ilwrath torturer

Re: Minecraft server for the SC community?

Post by Gekko » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:40 pm

plantmonster.homeip.net

A community which I hang a lot plays there. Me and two other people mostly. The server works fine with 3 people connected as long nothing bandwidth abusive is done (like riding minecarts). It's open and doesn't require you to be logged in, so please behave. I don't play much nowdays as I'm working so late, but if there is a sudden interest, why not? Waiting for 1.8...

That's in my flat in Turku (I live in Helsinki) with a standard ADSL2+ connection, so it isn't fast. I'm going to call my ISP and organize a customized plan for my flat as I have no use for 24 Mbit/s down, but I could use 24Mbit/s up.
Visit #uqm-arena and play a game of Net Melee!
Try the Net Melee Improvement mod

Nuclear
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Nuclear » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:44 pm

I don't play Minecraft too often, probably because playing single player was depressing as hell..I've been watching some videos on youtube part of "Icton's Adventures in Minecraft" and that has sparked an interest in Minecraft again though. Sure, I'd visit a StarControl server every once in awhile.
Hackers never die. They just terminate and stay resident.

RTyp06
Ilwrath spawn

Post by RTyp06 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:51 pm

Thanks Gekko, I'll check out your server sometime.

As for an SC server, we'll see how it goes.

I currently play on a 1 gig, 16 player minecraft server. The players are predominately members of another gaming community. I didn't know there would be 11, 12 and 13 year olds playing. They're all pretty good kids but an older, more mature group of players would be nice. Im admin so I can add anyone's name to the whitelist that may be interested in playing. It's a fast, reliable server and you can use maps and minecarts.

Nuclear
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Nuclear » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:32 pm

What mode is that server on? I'm pretty sure you can play on either survival mode or creative mode. Survival is the normal mode, creative mode is what you'd use for building.
Hackers never die. They just terminate and stay resident.

Dabir
Duke Franz Ferdinand

Post by Dabir » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:41 pm

I'd probably be on board with this idea, assuming the Endermen don't ender up putting me off MC 1.8 for good.

RTyp06
Ilwrath spawn

Post by RTyp06 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:38 pm

It's survival mode. There are about 5 or 6 regulars playing. Night is skipped regularly and weather is off most of the time.

I just heard about the Endermen a little while ago. Need to go check it out.

Eth
Shining Being of Pure Light and Blissful Love

Post by Eth » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:05 am

I'd be down. I haven't done much multiplayer play and would like to check it out.

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:32 am

I'd be down as a pretty sporadic player sticking his head in every now and then.

Do I need to buy the game or is it free?

What do I actually do in the game, build stuff?

What do I need to survive?

Dabir
Duke Franz Ferdinand

Post by Dabir » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:16 am

The game costs 14.95 Euros, but after its final release will be 20 Euros. When you start the game up you see a giant generated world in front of you. You dig, mine and lumberjack your way around to gather resources, then build them into whatever you like (shelter is a good idea). At night, evil monsters spawn and try to shoot you to death, eat you and blow you up. You can return fire with your own bow and arrow and a variety of swords, plus you can make TNT. In multiplayer, you've got a lotta people there. You make your own tools with a fairly intuitive crafting system, though it's still a good idea to look up recipes and/or find a quickstart guide.