Games other than Star Control

Anything that isn't Star Control. Mind your manners!

Moderator:ZFP Peacekeepers

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper
Re: Games other than Star Control

Post by Lukipela » Fri May 04, 2012 5:42 am

Angelfish wrote:somehow I keep imagining how Lukipela would look, infested by a headcrab.
Friendlier, I suspect. More sympathetic and less prone to making babies cry.

Saria
Pkunk Elder

Post by Saria » Sat May 05, 2012 7:39 am

Lukipela wrote:Also looking at buying a new laptop. I'm sort of out of the loop when it comes to games (other than star Control) and modern machines, can you run most games on a high-end laptop nowadays?
It seriously depends on the game and the engine it runs on. I have a friend who can hardly run Mass Effect on low settings and Left 4 Dead on all high at the same resolution. :?

If you're unsure, just compare the specs to minimum requirements for games. A lot of newer laptops run games on low settings, though.

Nuclear
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Nuclear » Mon May 07, 2012 11:44 pm

After all the times I've messed up due to lurches in cars/planes/techtonics etc, I say fuck laptop gaming. Even high end laptops can't run games that well either. I pretty much use my netbook only to play small indie games that are more convienent to play on a portable machine rather than killing a bird with a bazooka by playing an indie or DosBox game on a high end desktop.
Hackers never die. They just terminate and stay resident.

Dyandod
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Dyandod » Tue May 08, 2012 2:05 am

Nuclear wrote:After all the times I've messed up due to lurches in cars/planes/techtonics etc, I say fuck laptop gaming. Even high end laptops can't run games that well either. I pretty much use my netbook only to play small indie games that are more convienent to play on a portable machine rather than killing a bird with a bazooka by playing an indie or DosBox game on a high end desktop.
Indie and DosBox games are often the best, though... :)
KYAAAAAIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEE!

oldlaptop
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by oldlaptop » Tue May 08, 2012 3:40 am

Nuclear wrote:After all the times I've messed up due to lurches in cars/planes/techtonics etc, I say fuck laptop gaming. Even high end laptops can't run games that well either. I pretty much use my netbook only to play small indie games that are more convienent to play on a portable machine rather than killing a bird with a bazooka by playing an indie or DosBox game on a high end desktop.
Just think of lurches as a part of the challenge! :twisted:
Play Supermelee online in #uqm-arena!
Netmelee Improvement Mod

Dyandod
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Dyandod » Tue May 08, 2012 4:29 am

oldlaptop wrote:
Just think of lurches as a part of the challenge! :twisted:
Hey, Nuclear, just look at this guy's username. He knows what he's talking about!
KYAAAAAIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEE!

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela » Tue May 08, 2012 8:17 am

Saria wrote:
Lukipela wrote:Also looking at buying a new laptop. I'm sort of out of the loop when it comes to games (other than star Control) and modern machines, can you run most games on a high-end laptop nowadays?
It seriously depends on the game and the engine it runs on. I have a friend who can hardly run Mass Effect on low settings and Left 4 Dead on all high at the same resolution. :?

If you're unsure, just compare the specs to minimum requirements for games. A lot of newer laptops run games on low settings, though.
Good answer, thanks! Seeing as next on my list is finishing Half-Life and then maybe the original Halo, I think a modern higher end laptop will perform well enough

Megagun
Salesman

Post by Megagun » Tue May 08, 2012 8:49 pm

Lukipela wrote:can you run most games on a high-end laptop nowadays?
That really depends on what you call 'high-end' and exactly what kind of 'high-end' laptop you're looking for.

These days, there are a lot of high-end laptops that fall into one of the following categories: high-end performance (proper CPU/GPU; mostly Asus, Alienware and MSI-derivatives), high-end durability (business-grade laptops), high-end design (Macbook Pro and similar laptops), high-end portability (ultrabooks).

If you want to play some recentish games, you need to get a laptop with a good graphics card. I'm not entirely 'in the loop' myself, but my Medion Erazer X6813 (a cheap MSI-derivative with an Nvidia GeForce GTX 460M) plays most games very well. Mass Effect 3 runs great, Battlefield 3 runs nice (full HD but most effects on lowest settings), Crysis 2 runs very smooth on 720p with everything on lowest settings, and I didn't have any problems playing Deus Ex: Human Revolution. If you get anything near the power of the GTX 460M, you should probably be okay until the next console hardware cycle comes around. Check comparison sites like notebookcheck for more details on other graphics cards.

That said, high-end performance usually means you'll either spend big money on a laptop, or you'll end up with shoddy build quality/components. My laptop's screen is indeed quite awful, although a good color profile in Windows 7 helps a lot.

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela » Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:57 pm

Thanks for the help and advice guys. I've now bought a spanking new laptop and finished Half-Life 2 so I guess it was good enough. Currently playing episode 2.

Gekko
Ilwrath torturer

Post by Gekko » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:15 pm

As of late, Dwarf Fortress. I never got into the game when it was first a big thing on the internets, but after the 34.00 version updates I decided to give it a try (early this year). I got into the game, learned it and played a few dozen fortresses. It is a magnificent game with features in great quantities, but unfortunately comes with numerous issues. The learning curve itself does not matter, for any game with as much features would require about this much learning. The problem is that the learning could be made easier by changing the user interface. It becomes apparent later on, after you have learned the game, that the user interface is VERY clumsy and difficult to use. Want to assign a dwarf in the military? Okay, here's the list of all your dwarves in no particular order. Oh, yes, we do list if he has a weapon skill or if he is already in a squad, but we make no statements about his mental or physical health, or his current occupation. The trading window is pure pain, and any kind of browsing that relates to finding a specific dwarf is cumbersome. The UI is bad.

Yet still, the UI does not prevent you from playing. The second issue does: The game is unoptimized to a great degree. It is all running on a single thread meaning that your latest 8 core CPU won't be any more efficient than a good old P4 with minor overclocks. The game is closed source and developed by one dude, and he wishes to focus on features, not optimization. He has made statements about eventually getting on that stuff, but for now he focuses on bugs and adding cool new stuff. This is all fun and all, but causes the game to be pretty much over when you hit 300 dwarves in your fortress. Making a game of this type multithreaded is probably a gargantuan effort, but especially things like the recent researches on GPU AI and GPU crowd simulations really do state that it is possible to harness the hundreds of processing units of the video card for this sort of stuff. If this stuff ever comes, I'll have many manly tears. It would enable stuff like fortresses with thousands of dwarves.

Now that I'm done mocking the issues, here's why it's great: It's ultimately a game where you make your own stories. Anyone who has read BoatMurdered knows what I'm talking about (and if you haven't, do so now. Here's a link <- it also has a good introduction to the game). We've been playing a multiplayer fortress with Oldlaptop on #uqm-arena for about a month now. It's going steadily, albeit slowly due to the aforementioned framerate issues. We are probably nearing the end of our fortress pretty soon due to Hidden Fun Stuff (do not spoil, Oldlaptop does not know about this yet), but damn has it been a ride! After our fortress eventually withers, I propose that we start an entirely new one with more people from this jubilant community. There's a program called dfterm which allows remotely playing Dwarf Fortress over telnet. It's simply one game running and many people seeing the output and sending the key presses to the game. Works pretty nicely, although requires a stable connection. All you need on Windows is putty. I'll give the server address later on when this fort is done with and we are starting a new one. We may also go for Masterwork Dwarf Fortress for improved FPS if dfterm works with that.

I recommend that if anyone wishes to join the multiplayer game / succession game, he first learns the game a bit. Play a few fortresses having Fun while learning. That way you won't at least immediately cause the downfall of the fort in the actual multiplayer game. Here's a guide: Click. Note that the multiplayer game will be played without any tilesets.

EDIT: Some things that have happened at QuietHills, the mountain home of Bodice of Planes.

* The onslaught of the monster snail. This is a popular topic among the dwarven artists, and can be seen all around the fortress walls. The beast was released when a cavern was breached through the Great Tunnel.
* The on-going process of capturing invading goblins. In fact, there are probably about 200 of these. We have been testing various methods of execution, but not many of them are quite effective enough. The most recent one involved sending a bunch of them in the Great Tunnel, in which they marched deep into the caves, never to be seen again.
* We struck adamantine, the most valuable metal on the planet
* We have isolated a bunch of vampires in their own respective quarters with a locked door sealing them off from the fortress. Here they remain absolutely invincible to everything, eternally keeping the fortress alive in their isolation.
* We have probably 400 various animals, mostly cats. They re-produce faster than we can butcher them.
* About 2000 various corpses decorate the landscape outside the fortress
* We were made into the capital of Bodice of Planes, and the queen herself arrived to rule over the fortress. She soon died of old age.
* Lots of various cool constructions have been built, including the burial pyramid.
* Both the named Dwarves, Urist McGekko and Oldlaptop were killed in a glorious battle against the aforementioned monster snail. What remained of their half-digested bodies were moved in the aforementioned burial pyramid.
* Everyone in the fortress seems to prefer worn-out, ragged clothes to the perfectly fine recently crafted clothes, running around half-naked. They seem displeased about this, but it's too much of a trouble to go change.
* Many ales have been consumed, mostly when the dwarf consuming the ale would have been most urgently required somewhere else such as defending the fortress from an invading Hydra.
* Numerous Forgotten Beasts have been slain, while more lurk in the dark corners below the fortress. These included the Gigantic Noseless Monster Rabbit, and the Giant Feathered Hadrosaurid.
Visit #uqm-arena and play a game of Net Melee!
Try the Net Melee Improvement mod