Mushrooms that eat energy

Anything that isn't Star Control. Mind your manners!

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Mushrooms that eat energy

Post by Lukipela » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:08 pm

So the article is old, but I stumbled over it while looking for something slightly different.

http://www.scienceagogo.com/news/200704 ... _sys.shtml

Apparently, mushrooms containing a lot of melanin can actually "feed" off the radiation at Chernobyl, taking us one step closer to a new and interesting from of energy, especially once we leave our protective little planet and head out into space where there is a lot of radiation.

Anyone else got any exciting space news? We are a spacey kind of board after all...

Dabir
Duke Franz Ferdinand

Re: Mushrooms that eat energy

Post by Dabir » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:26 am

So if we use the miracle of genetic engineering to put the radiation-eating genes in humans...

Gentlemen, we are one step closer to Superman.

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:16 am

Well, I'd rather have the mushrooms produce energy fro me than inject them into my skin and submit myself to radiation, but your call I guess. You might well become the most powerful tumour alive, however briefly.

But imagine using this stuff under some sort of atmospheric cover to line your ship hull, it'd both protect you from radiation and produce energy for you. Maybe that is what the Mycon do, come to think of it.

Nuclear
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Nuclear » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:22 pm

Anyone else got any exciting space news? We are a spacey kind of board after all...
Old news to most people, but Saturn's moon Titan may one day be the target of human colonization! Assuming we have the proper anti-gravity technology to not get instantly crushed by Saturn's gravity {or frozen by Titan's freezing temperatures}, we could make use of the large moon's hydrocarbon lakes, dense atmosphere {consisting mostly of nitrogen}, and earth-like climate for terraforming purposes.

Who want's to wake up to the sound of this every morning? {On their electro-magnetic radio}

Hackers never die. They just terminate and stay resident.

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish » Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:48 pm

Nuclear wrote:
Who want's to wake up to the sound of this every morning? {On their electro-magnetic radio}

So this is how HAL9000 got mad.

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela » Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:13 pm

Nuclear wrote: Old news to most people, but Saturn's moon Titan may one day be the target of human colonization! Assuming we have the proper anti-gravity technology to not get instantly crushed by Saturn's gravity {or frozen by Titan's freezing temperatures}, we could make use of the large moon's hydrocarbon lakes, dense atmosphere {consisting mostly of nitrogen}, and earth-like climate for terraforming purposes.

Doesn't sound very likely that we'll be able to counterbalance gravitational forces. I assume there are a couple of easier places where you could go first. Is there any specific reason to go to Triton, as opposed to other heavenly bodies?

Nuclear
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Nuclear » Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:48 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colonization_of_Titan

According to the article, aside from being "In certain ways, the most hospitable extraterrestrial world within our solar system for human colonization" for having an abundance of the elements for sustaining life, Titan has lots and lots of hydrocarbon. It actually rains the stuff there! The collection of hydrocarbon alone would be reason enough to colonize Titan.

Besides Titan, other places to colonize could be the Galilean moons {Minus Io, too much volcanic activity} for their small exposure to radiation from Jupiter. Neptune's moon Triton could also be a good candidate when we get the proper technology to colonize more Cryogenic habitats. I'm pretty sure the only reason we would want to colonize Mars is because it's the closest planet we can go to without burning up in the atmosphere.
Hackers never die. They just terminate and stay resident.

oldlaptop
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by oldlaptop » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:17 am

Mars is much, much warmer (or at least less cold) than any of Jupiter or Saturn's moons, and is otherwise much like earth climatically, as opposed to Titan which is actually cold enough to rain those hydrocarbons.
Play Supermelee online in #uqm-arena!
Netmelee Improvement Mod

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:34 am

Wait, I'm confused. Earlier you said we'd have to survive some horrific g-forces, but the article you link claim that the moon has 0,14 g. Wherein lies the gravitational problem then?

Very interesting article, though one would hope that once we are at a level where bases can be established, we'd have less need of hydrocarbons than we currently do. After all, we'll have radiation eating mushroom engines!

Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Alvarin » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:22 am

I think the forces would be from the main planet upon approach. Might be wrong there.
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.