Mushrooms that eat energy

Anything that isn't Star Control. Mind your manners!

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Re: Mushrooms that eat energy

Post by Lukipela » Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:51 pm

I'll be the first to admit that I don't know much about gravitational forces, but I was of the belief that they are only dependant on the distance between you and the object in question, which ought to mean that approaching Titan shouldn't be hard as long as you calculate your approach right, the same way as when you go to any other planet. Or would approaching require that you pass too close to Saturn for comfort?

Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Alvarin » Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:26 pm

Needs calculating, but closer to Titan you'll have more of it's influence than that of Saturn's. Of course, the distance squared still applies.
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.

Nuclear
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Nuclear » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:43 am

Woops, my mistake Luki. Turns out Titan's gravity is less than that of Luna's. I'm not sure whether or not this is due to Titan's distance from Saturn or if it is some factor that involves Titan's atmospheric pressure {among other things} affecting g-force. In the case of the latter, Alvarin would be right about only having a problem with gravity on approach with Saturn. Saturn's actually quite light for a gas giant, being able to float in a bathtub if it were big enough, so I doubt its gravitational force would be as big a problem if we were colonizing, say, Neptune or Jupiter's moon{s}.

In other {old} nerdy news, the dwarf planet Eris has a moon named Dysnomia. How then is this the first moon named after an actor? In mythology, Eris is the deity of chaos, and Eris's daughter, Dysnomia, is the deity of Lawlessness. The original name the discoverer picked for Eris, before it was renamed, was "Xena". The discoverer also reccomended 'Dysnomia' as the moon's name as a slightly inobvious reference to Lucy Lawless. Looks like someone was a big Warrior Princess fan..
Hackers never die. They just terminate and stay resident.

Stickman_king_28
Silly Supox

Post by Stickman_king_28 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:50 pm

JUFFO WUP IS COMING
Soo... What were primitive ur-quan like? I just love to speculate about my favorite slave-master caterpillars. That wheezy voice acting tho
I have legal bulls**t phobia