'Tis a good day to be an X-Com fan

Anything that isn't Star Control. Mind your manners!

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Nuclear
Yehat Revolutionist

'Tis a good day to be an X-Com fan

Post by Nuclear » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:44 am

'Nuff said ;D-smf

http://www.xcom.com/enemyunknown/#

http://geek.pikimal.com/2012/01/10/xcom ... reenshots/

I'm actually pretty optimistic about the upcoming shooter, but this was quite a pleasant surprise. Now they have no choice but to bring back the classic aliens..
Hackers never die. They just terminate and stay resident.

Dyandod
Yehat Revolutionist

Re: 'Tis a good day to be an X-Com fan

Post by Dyandod » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:18 am

Ah, X-COM...

How do I love thee, X-COM? Let me count the ways... Actually, no. That would take much too long because there are just so many ways...
KYAAAAAIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEE!

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:07 pm

If this really is a remake of the original, I'm definitely interested in checking it out... As long as they don't botch it up. As Terror from the Deep shows, that's not hard to do, unfortunately.

Dyandod
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Dyandod » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:04 pm

Draxas wrote:If this really is a remake of the original, I'm definitely interested in checking it out... As long as they don't botch it up. As Terror from the Deep shows, that's not hard to do, unfortunately.
What was wrong with Terror from the Deep? I loved it!

Dragon
Reborn Shofixti

Post by Dragon » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:25 pm

I do like a bit of X-Com, I must say. In fact: Serial X-Com fan would be a pretty good description. I've ploughed through all the After* games (Aftermath, Aftershock, Afterbirth or whatever) and Extraterrestrials but as spiritual successors go none of them captured the feel* of the original.

I still keep a half watch on UFO:AI in the hope that that open source project will turn into something great. I even occasionally look in on the "X-Com: Defense / UFO: Enemy Unknown Remake" but... I'm still waiting

I've mentioned this on a couple of occasions but the closet game I've found, game-play wise, to X-COM is Silent Storm and even it's starting to date badly now. Might as well fire-up DOSbox... So, please Firaxis, don't cock it up. *crosses fingers*

*Often panic and terror

Nuclear
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Nuclear » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:25 am

Dyandod wrote:
Draxas wrote:If this really is a remake of the original, I'm definitely interested in checking it out... As long as they don't botch it up. As Terror from the Deep shows, that's not hard to do, unfortunately.

{Not actually 10 minutes long}
Dragon wrote:none of them captured the feel* of the original.
For me, the easiest nostalgic feeling to recapture would probably be power or superiority. For example, I was playing Fallout New Vegas and just got my suit of Advanced Power Armor {aka, Remnant's power armor}. Got a huge Fallout 2 nostalgia trip, I loved the way that armor looks. They remade it almost perfectly too, compare:

Hackers never die. They just terminate and stay resident.

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:18 pm

Dyandod wrote:
Don't get me wrong, TFTD was fun for a little while. Then it turned into a buggy, impossibly difficult mess once I started researching deeper into the tech tree and encountering terror missions and alien bases. That video sums it up pretty well, too; there's a legitimate counterpart where the guy doing the LP tries to actually complete the terror mission. He gets through with 2 guys left alive, I think... and then discovers it's a 2-parter and he still has to clear the hold. It goes poorly, suffice to say.

Dyandod
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Dyandod » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:24 pm

Draxas wrote:
Dyandod wrote:
Don't get me wrong, TFTD was fun for a little while. Then it turned into a buggy, impossibly difficult mess once I started researching deeper into the tech tree and encountering terror missions and alien bases. That video sums it up pretty well, too; there's a legitimate counterpart where the guy doing the LP tries to actually complete the terror mission. He gets through with 2 guys left alive, I think... and then discovers it's a 2-parter and he still has to clear the hold. It goes poorly, suffice to say.
Yeah, I watched a little bit of that LP already.
I guess the main reason I like TFTD better than the original is because my version of the original has a bug where you can only play on easy mode. If I want a challenge, I have to go to TFTD instead.

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:22 pm

Draxas wrote:
Dyandod wrote:
Strange, I never had much trouble with Terror from the Deep. And I'm by no means a hardcore gamer.

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:03 pm

Dyandod wrote:Yeah, I watched a little bit of that LP already.
I guess the main reason I like TFTD better than the original is because my version of the original has a bug where you can only play on easy mode. If I want a challenge, I have to go to TFTD instead.
All versions of the original have that bug. Though I wouldn't exactly call the game "easy," especially not once the aliens are cruising around in battleships and attacking your bases about once a month. I still have never managed to actually finish the game (probably because every time I put it down for a while, I feel compelled to start over, but I digress).

I think my biggest problem with TFTD is the game breaking bugs in the tech tree, though. You have to be really careful what order you research things in or else you get locked out of some very important (possibly essential) technologies.