'Tis a good day to be an X-Com fan

Anything that isn't Star Control. Mind your manners!

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Shiver
Arilou wiseguy

Re: 'Tis a good day to be an X-Com fan

Post by Shiver » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:27 pm

Really excited about this news. I guess this new X-Com could go wrong given what Firaxis did with Civ 5, but the preview material looks good enough that I'll buy this straight away.

Nuclear wrote:
{Not actually 10 minutes long}
That brings back memories. While, I never played TFTD myself, I did follow Guavamoment's X-Com LPs back in the day.

Dragon
Reborn Shofixti

Post by Dragon » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:29 pm

Dunno if I just noticed this late or if it's arrived recently on the Internets but gameinformer have quite a comprehensive piece on firaxis' remake of UFO: link

xxCaptainIcyxx
Hunam adventurer

Post by xxCaptainIcyxx » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:06 pm

Ah yes X-Com, another game that could keep my extremely short attention span, I remember Chryssalids (SP?) well. I use to yell "WHY IS THE GAME DOING THIS TO ME??!???!" I had such a tough time with them. I look forward to the remake
I don't need a signature.

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:37 pm

I used to love UFO: Enemy Unknown, though I'm the kind of damaged player who'd obsessively save just before a mission and replay it over and over again until al my guys made it out.

Nuclear
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Nuclear » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:24 pm

Lukipela wrote:I used to love UFO: Enemy Unknown, though I'm the kind of damaged player who'd obsessively save just before a mission and replay it over and over again until all my guys made it out.
You're not alone in that regard! Xcom is just notorious for getting you really attached to what should otherwise be highly expendable troops, and then having them die en masse. You don't treat your soldiers as if they were a bunch of numbers inside a computer, you treat them as if... they were an extension of yourself. That's a real trick for the programmers to get that kind of empathy in a computer game; it really adds to the whole Sci-Fi horror theme.
Hackers never die. They just terminate and stay resident.

Dyandod
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Dyandod » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:11 am

Nuclear wrote:
Lukipela wrote:I used to love UFO: Enemy Unknown, though I'm the kind of damaged player who'd obsessively save just before a mission and replay it over and over again until all my guys made it out.
You're not alone in that regard! Xcom is just notorious for getting you really attached to what should otherwise be highly expendable troops, and then having them die en masse. You don't treat your soldiers as if they were a bunch of numbers inside a computer, you treat them as if... they were an extension of yourself. That's a real trick for the programmers to get that kind of empathy in a computer game; it really adds to the whole Sci-Fi horror theme.
I've found that if I just keep renaming my new soldiers after the old ones I lost, I don't really feel as if I'm losing anybody when they die. Although it still bugs me when Snoopy takes out eleven aliens in the first mission and then dies before he can exit the craft in the second mission.
KYAAAAAIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEE!

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:19 pm

Man, I hated that I had to acquire a sense of professional detachment when playing X-Com. The game was just way too damn difficult to reasonably expect everyone to survive anything but the simplest missions (and even those could quickly go straight down the crapper depending on how the aliens deploy). Worse yet was finding out that the lucky ones who managed to survive and prosper for many early missions and accrue some serious experience suddenly blast the crap out of the rest of the team the first time they're exposed to psionics.

Dyandod
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Dyandod » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:24 pm

I really need to start playing this again...
KYAAAAAIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEE!

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:02 pm

Draxas wrote: Worse yet was finding out that the lucky ones who managed to survive and prosper for many early missions and accrue some serious experience suddenly blast the crap out of the rest of the team the first time they're exposed to psionics.
This was the best part, your heavily armoured super strong inhumanly accurate warriors always were psionic wimps. Heavy plasma fire in the landing craft was great fun.

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:27 pm

Lukipela wrote:
Draxas wrote: Worse yet was finding out that the lucky ones who managed to survive and prosper for many early missions and accrue some serious experience suddenly blast the crap out of the rest of the team the first time they're exposed to psionics.
This was the best part, your heavily armoured super strong inhumanly accurate warriors always were psionic wimps. Heavy plasma fire in the landing craft was great fun.
I really enjoyed the game because of the semi-realistic behaviour of the crewmates. Panicking and berserking!