The Scale of the Universe

Anything that isn't Star Control. Mind your manners!

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Dragon
Reborn Shofixti

The Scale of the Universe

Post by Dragon » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:07 pm

Pretty neat little flash jobbie of the size of stuffs in the universe.

The Scale of the Universe [EDIT: Update earl as 4chan was being uppity)

Also I learned about Russell's teapot. I never knew about Russell's teapot before but now I cannot doubt it's existence.

ps: Thu music may drive you insane.
Last edited by Dragon on Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RTyp06
Ilwrath spawn

Re: The Scale of the Universe

Post by RTyp06 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:23 pm

Impressive. I didn't notice it the first time but they even scaled a minecraft world on that app. I didn't realize the game world was that big.

Fossaman
Arilou wiseguy

Post by Fossaman » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:51 pm

Your link is 404'd now. But the thread title makes me think of Power of Ten. Call me a sucker for the classics, I guess.

Dabir
Duke Franz Ferdinand

Post by Dabir » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:19 pm

Link still works for me.

fizjak
Hunam adventurer

Post by fizjak » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:02 pm

Wow I feel tiny now.

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:28 pm

There's a lot more big things than small things. Makes you feel small in the universe.

Then again, we've created an infinite amount of Jupiter sized minecraft worlds, so I guess we're making a virtual mark.

Zeracles
Pootworm

Post by Zeracles » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:19 am

Nice. I study the objects at the top end. The equatorial slice with the Sloan Great Wall shows line-like structures, filaments that form a network called the cosmic web. Filaments are clear enough to the human eye but identifying them algorithmically in galaxy redshift data is a long-standing problem, tricky for various reasons. I designed the first algorithm to do the job with a false discovery rate of less than one half, finding dozens of them*. Actually it's what I was alluding to here. I also made animated three-dimensional visualisations of galaxy clusters, filaments and voids, possibly the most extensive of their kind.

Also, not shown in there is something called the scale of statistical homogeneity, only detected in the last decade as large-scale structure surveys have become large enough. Think of it as like the Planck length at the ultra-small scale, but opposite. A scale above which there is no longer any structure, so huge that you can compare any two boxes the size of statistical homogeneity and conclude that the differences are basically random. I made animated visualisations of one such box here. Such a scale exists because the universe had a beginning, a fairly homogeneous one as evidenced by the surface of last scattering (CMB), and the limited age of the universe limits the scale structure can have developed to thus far**.

*Arguably I have just done something cooler but there's my super secret for now!
**Although, this growth in scale space has yet to exceed the comoving size of the initial density perturbations. Whether it ever will depends on what model for the universe turns out to be the correct one.
Twinkle twinkle Paul and Fred (more)

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:37 am

I think one of the more important things to keep in mind when you talk about the universe is not just scale, but orientation. Even though some objects are infinitely larger than us and hard to grasp, they are all centered in a pretty fascinating way in space time. Things small and big are situated on a complex three dimensional reference grid all connected to the origo of this vast universe - me.

Zeracles
Pootworm

Post by Zeracles » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:23 am

Lukipela wrote:I think one of the more important things to keep in mind when you talk about the universe is not just scale, but orientation. Even though some objects are infinitely larger than us and hard to grasp, they are all centered in a pretty fascinating way in space time.
Something like this.

How all the pieces fit together has evolved over cosmic time. In the current epoch we see a filamentary network or cosmic web. In the past this was more like a foam, with voids as growing bubbles in that foam.
Lukipela wrote:the origo of this vast universe - me.
Touches on the Copernican Principle and the extent to which our place in the Universe is special, which it is and it isn't. The Solar System, our galaxy and our Local Group of galaxies are unremarkable. But on the other hand, our Universe is full of holes, the Universe is void-dominated (I've measured a void volume fraction of about 0.72). A ``volume-average" observer should be in a void**, so there is a sense in which we are a bit special (moreover, our Local Group of galaxies appears to be in a wispy filament). How a hypothetical observer in a void would see the Universe is a very interesting question.

**voids are however not good places to find observers of the kind we know, a la anthropic principle
Twinkle twinkle Paul and Fred (more)