Browsers and addons

Anything that isn't Star Control. Mind your manners!

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Browsers and addons

Post by Lukipela » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:33 pm

A thread over at UQM got me pondering this. Do you folks use a lot of addons for your web browsers? What browsers do you use?

Aroundthe time I noticed browsers as a thing I was using Netscape. Before that I think we used to use Mosaic. I used Netscape for long after it failed because it had tabs, and then eventually switched over to FireFox. In the beginning I used a lot of addons, but as time passes, i use them less and less. I don't need the weather from my browser. Since I'm not involved in the site any more. I don't need firebug. I long ago tired of downloading things from youtube so flv extractors are a thing of the past. I tried the RSS addons but they weren't that interesting.

I do use the language packs for several languages still. But are there other worlds I'm missing? What browsers and addons do you use?

Dragon
Reborn Shofixti

Re: Browsers and addons

Post by Dragon » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:26 pm

Just browsing the Web I use Firefox and/or Chrome. Generally Firefox but their icons are next to each-other so whichever I happen to hit. For development I use IE 7 and up (silly clients).

I've no addons for Chrome and only 3 for FireFox.
  • Adblock Plus
  • DownThemAll (download manager)
  • RESTClient (again for dev)

Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Alvarin » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:48 pm

I use Firefox and have Chatzilla, AdblockPlus and little script that opens new tab to my home page rather than empty tab.
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.

oldlaptop
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by oldlaptop » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:48 pm

I've been using Seamonkey (basically a continuation of the old Mozilla Suite, much like Firefox in terms of rendering capabilities) for several years now. It has the addon capabilities of Firefox/Thunderbird, but not quite as massive of a catalog. I use NoScript and AdBlockPlus routinely (and TheRealURL somewhat less routinely), and this excellent theme (which unfortunately is no longer developed for Firefox/Thunderbird). I also have NoRedirect installed to stop my ISP's 'helpful' search/ad page from displaying on DNS errors. A lot of what I used to do with Firefox addons (SimpleMail and Chatzilla come to mind) is handled better by Seamonkey's excellent mail/news/RSS client.
Play Supermelee online in #uqm-arena!
Netmelee Improvement Mod

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:40 pm

Huh, I thought I was the only one who switched directly from Netscape to Firefox, guess I'm not alone. Anyway, I use Firefox at home, but never felt the need to use any addons at all. I'm forced to use IE at work, which is whatever (and how I can confirm I still hate it), but I guess their network security here at work is way better than anything I have at home so they can afford to tempt fate.

chenjesuwizard
Malfunctioning M:bot

Post by chenjesuwizard » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:45 pm

I use Chrome and I have:
Adblock - Blocks Ads
Chrome Toolbox - Gives a lot of extra tools for Chrome
DivX Plus Web Player HTML 5 - Not actually sure why I downloaded this
Speedbit Video Downloader - Increases Download Speeds
Website Blocker (Beta) - Blocks certain websites (like Facebook) for when I'm doing work. So I don't procrastinate.
Window Close Protector - Tells me when closing multiple tabs
WOT - For Ratings of Safety of Websites
Youtube mp3 - A Youtube Video to Sound Converter.

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:12 am

i'm using chrome without any addons :)

Megagun
Salesman

Post by Megagun » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:44 pm

I use Chrome, but have most common browsers installed to be able to test random Web Development stuff. The extensions I install are mostly geared towards web development stuff, as well.

That said, on Chrome I have AdBlock, Prevent Duplicate Tabs, Lazarus: Form Recovery (very useful on laptops!) and ModHeader installed, as well as a few webdevelopment Chrome apps that allow me to fiddle with XHR requests. On Firefox, I have Adblock, NoScript and Firebug installed.

Zeracles
Pootworm

Post by Zeracles » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:07 am

I read research journals through any university computer and to get this when working from home I ssh to the computer in my office. When working this way it's handy to have a minimal interface that runs within the terminal so for this I use lynx, a text-based browser. I do this to access restricted uni pages as well.
Twinkle twinkle Paul and Fred (more)

Eth
Shining Being of Pure Light and Blissful Love

Post by Eth » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:57 am

When I first started using Chrome I added something that made it so whenever I rolled over a Magic card name an image of the card would pop up, but I got annoyed with that and disabled it.