Someone please explain the Forum Vessel.

Anything that isn't Star Control. Mind your manners!

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

kingschosen
Pkunk Captain

Someone please explain the Forum Vessel.

Post by kingschosen » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:39 pm

I'm not sure what's going on with my Precursor Vessel. Why do I keep getting module upgrades, and everyone else seems bare?

Not understanding the formula.

Fossaman
Arilou wiseguy

Re: Someone please explain the Forum Vessel.

Post by Fossaman » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:15 pm

It's an online/offline indicator. You'll always see your own as 'online' and almost always see other peoples' as offline.

Nuclear
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Nuclear » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:08 am

In other words, a bare, starting game looking Vindicator means someone is offline, while a Vindicator "Pimped out" with the Utwig bomb and all that stuff means they're online

If you sill don't know, then hanging your cursor over the Vindicator should reveal a box that says whether the person in question is online or not
Hackers never die. They just terminate and stay resident.

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:20 pm

That's a confusing indication. I would have expected it to be a postcount or seniority indicator. Oh well.

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:32 pm

Death 999 wrote:That's a confusing indication. I would have expected it to be a postcount or seniority indicator. Oh well.
Me too ;).
Too bad this star control theme is just a few random icons for random functions (although the ultron working and not working is correctly chosen)

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:44 pm

Death 999 wrote:That's a confusing indication. I would have expected it to be a postcount or seniority indicator. Oh well.
Yeah, it's not super intuitive. Originally it was going to be smaller and just dark/light but then we got carried away a bit. Most of the other icons in the theme correspond somewhat well to what they do, but that one is kind of out there.

EDIT: Using it as a post-count indicator might be a good idea though. I wonder if that is possible...

Nuclear
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Nuclear » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:43 pm

I think I like the idea of using a planet lander as a post count or online/offline indicator, it needs some publicity too you know...
Hackers never die. They just terminate and stay resident.

cymon
Hunam adventurer

Post by cymon » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:06 pm

And it'd be cool if different levels of upgrade responded to your post count on the forums, like status and rank. Save the utwig bomb for when you've got 500+ posts.

Dabir
Duke Franz Ferdinand

Post by Dabir » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:44 pm

Thing I've never understood about ranks is why they're assigned on raw number. It can't be that much harder to have the system scale ranks to the number of posts actually made on the forum overall.

Bleeding Star
Ilwrath spawn

Post by Bleeding Star » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:02 pm

Lukipela wrote:
Yeah, it's not super intuitive. Originally it was going to be smaller and just dark/light but then we got carried away a bit. Most of the other icons in the theme correspond somewhat well to what they do, but that one is kind of out there.
I definitely think it's too big and elaborate for a simple online/offline indicator. But it's a nice graphic.
EDIT: Using it as a post-count indicator might be a good idea though. I wonder if that is possible...
This sounds like an excellent idea, though... Hellbores only for the postiest.