What are you eating?

Anything that isn't Star Control. Mind your manners!

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Gekko
Ilwrath torturer

Re: What are you eating?

Post by Gekko » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:26 am

I try lots of places. This time it was Sun City. Easily the best ones in town are at Orikedon Taverna, but it's a bit too far away without a car.
Visit #uqm-arena and play a game of Net Melee!
Try the Net Melee Improvement mod

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:40 am

There's a pretty popular place in the city center that I can't recall the name of, across from Julia. I used to go there every now and then and can recommend it. Very clean kitchen as well, which is a plus.

Gekko
Ilwrath torturer

Post by Gekko » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:04 pm

Visited hometown for some graduation parties that some kids were having. This trip involved eating a bit better than I usually do. Pictured: Garlic potatoes with beef.

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:25 pm

Looks real yummy.

Gekko
Ilwrath torturer

Post by Gekko » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:02 pm

Peking beef with rice from a Chinese place I hadn't visited earlier. 7.50 euros, quite alright.

Gekko
Ilwrath torturer

Post by Gekko » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:20 pm

Snails. Those tasted... nothing. It was like munching on air. Could only taste the appendages, it being mostly cheese.

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:13 pm

I love snails, but you need to have them in some sort of herby butter or the likes to enjoy them fully. I nthemselves, they don't taste of much.

My in-laws visited on monday and brought some special Finnish treats for me. Liver pudding is something the swedes don't have and that I love like crazy. Even the ready-made stuff is delicious as helll, and it makes me feel nostalgic just touching it. I've had it for lunch all this week and have enough left for tomorrow.

Gekko, how big is that dish? Around here 75 SEK can get you anything from a tiny portion to "big enough for two lunches at work".

Gekko
Ilwrath torturer

Post by Gekko » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:15 pm

Hm, I'm not a big fan of maksalaatikko. It has a pretty sweet taste in it. Never turned a plate off when someone has served some, but I would have preferred something else.

The Chinese was about 2.5 portions of the pictured magnitude. A place by the university gives the largest take aways in town I believe, but this time wanted to try a new one. It's a bit sad how buffets have vanished. In Iisalmi there are like 5 buffet places (a lot for a city of that size), while in Turku it seems it's impossible to get "eat all you want" or "choose your own dish" style lunch. I wonder where all of these have gone... Back when I moved here 4 years ago there still were some. I know there are some places that serve some "home cooking" style in style of "eat all you want", but even those usually simply give you a buffet that you can use once.

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:27 pm

Huh, I don' tremember any other all you can eat buffet than RAX. Which was only profitable because their pizzas suck.

I put it down to Åbo being a university town though. I mean Idensalmi probably has a more typical Finnish population, right? The kind that might eat a fair bit at lunch buffets but would only eat at an evening buffet if the food is good. But once poor students frome Handels, TY and ÅA get wind of "free" food, they'd eat the proprietor to bankrupcy. I mean, any student worth his salt would be filling up on so much food that he didn't need to eat for the rest of the day.

Gekko
Ilwrath torturer

Post by Gekko » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:22 am

Bought a 5kg box of strawberries today (24 euros) and froze it for winter. Gotta get another one, then visit my hometown and do some foraging there, making juice from red/blackcurrants. Was quite a feat to carry that 5kg box through the city in rain.