What are you eating?

Anything that isn't Star Control. Mind your manners!

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Fossaman
Arilou wiseguy

Re: What are you eating?

Post by Fossaman »

Yeah, when someone says 'pancakes and sausage' and you know they're from the US, assume the sausage was on the side. And that they probably had syrup with the pancakes too, and possibly on the sausage as well, depending on how carefully they arranged the food.
Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela »

VenusRain wrote:Pancakes are, as far as I know, the same as flapjacks.
Interesting, here they are quite different things. This is what we call plätt in Finland and pannkaka in Sweden
250px-Crêpe_opened_up.jpg
250px-Crêpe_opened_up.jpg (12.27 KiB) Viewed 2005 times
But this is what we call pannkaka in Finland or ugnspannkaka in Sweden
120px-Tjockpannka2.JPG
120px-Tjockpannka2.JPG (4.59 KiB) Viewed 2005 times
I'd assumed that flpjack and pancakes sort of followed the same rule, with flapjacks being much thinner and pancakes being a lot thicker (although made differently than ours). But apparently flapjacks are pretty thick as well then?
It could be an American thing, serving them with savories, but fruit is also commonly paired with them, along with some other sweet things. It wasn't part of the batter, if that's what you're thinking. Although I'm pretty sure someone's made it, it's like the Rule 34 of food--if you've thought of it, there is a recipe for it.
Well, we do have salty things with them, but it's usually done so that the pancake isn't just a side dish. You can put some sort of filling in them or whatnot, but usually not just have them with sausages instead of potatoes or whatever. I must try that at some point.

Alvarin, that's odd. I thought they had that all over. But apparently not in Israel then. there's no cafeteria or food thing at all in your shop? Maybe it's some health code or whatnot.
Fossaman
Arilou wiseguy

Post by Fossaman »

That 'plätt' (so sue me, I don't do umlauts) looks pretty much exactly like a crepe, which I have also had. They're pretty good if you roll them up with cream cheese and a slice of bacon and maybe some jam in them.

I'm not entirely certain what the distinction is between flapjacks and pancakes. Probably because I've never actually had flapjacks. But pancakes are typically about a centimeter thick (or a little less), and fairly spongy. I think they're essentially leavened crepes with slightly less runny batter.

Is that pannkaka baked or fried? I've had a baked dish that I think was properly called pannkaka, my mother always called it baked pancake. I know it was supposedly Scandanavian in origin. It was very eggy.
Bleeding Star
Ilwrath spawn

Post by Bleeding Star »

Fossaman wrote:That 'plätt' (so sue me, I don't do umlauts) looks pretty much exactly like a crepe, which I have also had. They're pretty good if you roll them up with cream cheese and a slice of bacon and maybe some jam in them.
Yeah, that's what I'd call a crepe. Best served sweet, with lemon and sugar, but also good with a savoury filling. "Flapjack" isn't a term I hear often, but it implies the thicker American -style type. Often served with syrup and possibly with sausage or bacon on the side. Tasty but a little too heavy for me, especially in American-sized portions. "Pancake" is a generic term that would include both thin and thick styles. "Pikelet" is a small "flapjack", usually served with butter and jam.
Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela »

Fossaman wrote:That 'plätt' (so sue me, I don't do umlauts)
But you did?
Is that pannkaka baked or fried? I've had a baked dish that I think was properly called pannkaka, my mother always called it baked pancake. I know it was supposedly Scandanavian in origin. It was very eggy.
Baked. the name here in Sweden, "ugnspannkaka" even means "ovenpancake".

Anyway, since we can upload pictures I'm going to give you more food. Scampi fried in a chili sauce with green beans and rice. Sort of easy to tell when my significant other is here, this is a bit too high tech for me.
Attachments
DSC02093.JPG
DSC02093.JPG (171.76 KiB) Viewed 1962 times
Fossaman
Arilou wiseguy

Post by Fossaman »

I get the impression that your significant other is a little bit artistic when it comes to food. Those are pretty nice plate presentations.

(And apparently I copy pasted the umlaut from your post and forgot to remove the bit about not having umlauts. Whoops!)
Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas »

I must say, that looks delicious.
Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela »

Fossaman wrote:I get the impression that your significant other is a little bit artistic when it comes to food. Those are pretty nice plate presentations.
Well the first one was mine and I really do think those mostly qualifies as "food on a platter" rather than something fancy. I'll try to dig up a picture of something that's been set up nicely later on. But thanks!
Fossaman
Arilou wiseguy

Post by Fossaman »

Incidentally, my mother wants to know how authentic her baked pancake recipe is. Hers calls for lots and lots of butter, and she seems to think this is a bad thing (from certain points of view it probably is, I suppose).
Bleeding Star
Ilwrath spawn

Post by Bleeding Star »

Lukipela wrote:Scampi fried in a chili sauce with green beans and rice.
Looks tasty. I always have trouble with getting the texture right with a stir-fry. I blame it on the electric stovetop.
Fossaman wrote:from certain points of view it probably is, I suppose
From a certain point of view, Darth Vader killed your father. And we all know what a crock that was. More butter, I say!