Ur-Quan Masters HD Alpha 1

An HD remake of Star Control 2. It's the full Ur-Quan Masters game but also featuring a high resolution mode, new features, & new artwork.

Moderators: dczanik, ZFP Peacekeepers

dczanik
Ilwrath spawn

Ur-Quan Masters HD Alpha 1

Post by dczanik » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:26 pm

Hi guys!

The generous folks here at star-control have given us a forum specific to Ur-Quan Masters HD.
In case you're not familiar with it, Ur-Quan Masters HD is a forked version of Ur-Quan Masters, the open source version of Star Control 2.
You can download the alpha here.

Check out the readme in the files section for further details.
Right now, your monitor must support 1280x960, or you will have to run the game in the original graphics.
640x480 mode is coming out in a few weeks. Technically, you can run it, but it's crazy buggy and we should have disabled it before release.

The biggest issues:
  • 1. Hi-Res mode window gets cut off: Yep, your monitor doesn't support 1280x960.
    2. Monitor won't go full-screen. See #1.
    3. Not everything appears on-screen. See #1.
    4. Lots of graphical glitches. You're running 640x480. Stop that. :)
    5. Quasi-Space is weird. See #4
    6. Doesn't detect touching planets/stations in original graphics. Ahh. I believe this is a Mac only thing. Fix is here.
    7. Lander text gets cut off. Yep. That's a bug. Will be fixed in the next version.
    8. Can't install in Windows. Just unzip the folder & run uqm.exe or uqm with the Imageship icon.
    9. There's no hi-res options! You downloaded Ur-Quan Masters, not Ur-Quan Masters HD.
    10. Corrupt files or black screen. Sourceforge gives corrupt files sometimes, Try a mirror or downloading here:
    http://www.moddb.com/mods/ur-quan-masters-hd/downloads

If somebody can create a simple video on how to unzip a zip file in windows & run the game, that would help us.
- Damon Czanik
Artist/Project Leader for Ur-Quan Masters HD and the SC2 Fan Sequel,Project 6014
My new portfolio site! and my DeviantArt!

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Re: Ur-Quan Masters HD Alpha 1

Post by Draxas » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:12 pm

Congrats, guys! This is how you know you've made it to the big time here in our tiny corner of the internet; not even P6014 has its own subforum yet. ;D-smf

dczanik
Ilwrath spawn

Post by dczanik » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:33 pm

Draxas wrote:Congrats, guys! This is how you know you've made it to the big time here in our tiny corner of the internet; not even P6014 has its own subforum yet. ;D-smf
I don't want to alarm you, but you're at 999 forum posts. 1 more, and you hit the big one THOUSAND. You need to throw a party or something! ;)
- Damon Czanik
Artist/Project Leader for Ur-Quan Masters HD and the SC2 Fan Sequel,Project 6014

Dyandod
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Dyandod » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:20 pm

[drives over to Draxas' house in anticipation]
KYAAAAAIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEE!

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:30 pm

Yeesh, you're right! That's an important milestone, so I better make sure I have something important to say when I post next!

Doh. :'(-smf

mpe3us
ZEXy Beast

Post by mpe3us » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:22 pm

If I have requests regarding additions to the game... is it here then? :)-smf

dczanik
Ilwrath spawn

Post by dczanik » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:55 pm

mpe3us wrote:If I have requests regarding additions to the game... is it here then? :)-smf

Just created a post. Requests can go here:
http://www.star-control.com/community/v ... f=13&t=812
- Damon Czanik

Zarnium
Silly Supox

Post by Zarnium » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:25 am

I have some bugs to report (mostly minor graphical glitches), and I was wondering what the proper way to go about it should be. On the Google bug report page, should I make each bug its own entry, or should I put them all on the same entry? Or should I maybe put all the similar ones in one entry, and the couple that are different in separate entries? For that matter, a lot of these bugs are so obvious that I'd think you guys would know about them already, anyway, even though I don't see them on the bug report page. Should I make a report as long as they aren't on the page?

(I'm not using 640x480, BTW.)

superbutcherx
Hunam adventurer

Post by superbutcherx » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:46 am

Zarnium wrote:I have some bugs to report (mostly minor graphical glitches), and I was wondering what the proper way to go about it should be. On the Google bug report page, should I make each bug its own entry, or should I put them all on the same entry? Or should I maybe put all the similar ones in one entry, and the couple that are different in separate entries? For that matter, a lot of these bugs are so obvious that I'd think you guys would know about them already, anyway, even though I don't see them on the bug report page. Should I make a report as long as they aren't on the page?

(I'm not using 640x480, BTW.)
You can browse through every issue (including the already solved ones) by selecting "All issues" in the "Search" drop-down menu on the issues page. You probably don't want to click on every item to see their contents as there are currently 237 of them :geek: . But do take a quick look at the headlines of the already-solved bugs and see if you can spot some of the ones you've found.

If you think you have a brand-new bug for us to crack, do post it on the bug report page. It's better to create a new entry for each of the bugs so that it's easier to keep track of them.

Zarnium
Silly Supox

Post by Zarnium » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:14 pm

superbutcherx wrote: You can browse through every issue (including the already solved ones) by selecting "All issues" in the "Search" drop-down menu on the issues page. You probably don't want to click on every item to see their contents as there are currently 237 of them :geek: . But do take a quick look at the headlines of the already-solved bugs and see if you can spot some of the ones you've found.

If you think you have a brand-new bug for us to crack, do post it on the bug report page. It's better to create a new entry for each of the bugs so that it's easier to keep track of them.
Oh, I see them all now. I thought 27 was an awfully small number of known bugs :o. I'll take a look. Also, I'm using a Mac, while I assume most users are using Windows; should leave a comment if the glitch was seen on the Windows version and I see it?