HD Wishlist

An HD remake of Star Control 2. It's the full Ur-Quan Masters game but also featuring a high resolution mode, new features, & new artwork.

Moderators: dczanik, ZFP Peacekeepers

dczanik
Ilwrath spawn

Re: HD Wishlist

Post by dczanik » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:01 pm

chenjesuwizard wrote:Btw, you mentioned earlier that the game was free for anyone to edit. Is there the source code for me to download anywhere? (I don't have any plans to edit it really, I just wanted to take a look).
Sure! The source code for the windows version is included in the alpha. Unzip the files in the content folder. Also the latest source code is here:
https://code.google.com/p/uqm-hd/source/browse/

You can see the latest changes here:
https://code.google.com/p/uqm-hd/source/list

As you can see, we're trying to solve many of the bugs listed here:
https://code.google.com/p/uqm-hd/issues/list
When we hit 0 bugs here, we're releasing Beta 1. (I just got the joy of seeing my inbox flooded with new bugs.) Yay. :-\-smf
We are fixing them though.

To checkout the latest source code and compile it:
https://code.google.com/p/uqm-hd/source/checkout

And here's the git source on our ongoing project to combine Ur-Quan Masters with Ur-Quan Masters HD:
http://sourceforge.net/p/urquanmastersh ... 1568/tree/

This is usually a few days behind, and is still a work in progress. I don't believe it's working yet. Oldlaptop can answer any questions on this. This is mostly his hard work.

If anybody can't wait a couple of weeks, and want to help test it, just send me a PM.
- Damon Czanik
Artist/Project Leader for Ur-Quan Masters HD and the SC2 Fan Sequel,Project 6014
My new portfolio site! and my DeviantArt!

chenjesuwizard
Malfunctioning M:bot

Post by chenjesuwizard » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:59 pm

It would be nice to be able to label the quasispace map.

dczanik
Ilwrath spawn

Post by dczanik » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:27 pm

chenjesuwizard wrote:It would be nice to be able to label the quasispace map.
I believe we already do that for Beta 1. Once you go to an area, it gets labeled for you. If not, I'll add it to the wish list.
- Damon Czanik
Artist/Project Leader for Ur-Quan Masters HD and the SC2 Fan Sequel,Project 6014

Maloo Oture
Ilwrath torturer

Post by Maloo Oture » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:19 pm

I don't have the time today to read through all of the wishes already made, but in case it wasn't wished for yet: I thought it would've been cool to see Earth with clouds in the info screen. It appears that there are clouds in the comm screen with Hayes, but from orbit, the opposite is true.

sylandro
ZEXy Beast

Post by sylandro » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:09 am

just fired this up... really impressed so far!! There are a bunch of graphical changes I'm not completely in love with, but I'm going to leave those comments aside for now until I do a full playthrough. Regardless, the interface and many of the new graphics look amazing!

My primary gripe which has been my gripe with original UQM and the 3DO game is :

The Voices Are Too Loud.

Seriously, the music is just so amazing in this game and I think it's a huge part of the experience. Some of the voice acting is really not bad, and I enjoy alot of the voice fx giving an 'alien' feel to the conversations... but when the voices drown out the music entirely it really deadens the overall experience.

I think it's because the music drops in volume every single time they say anything... this is really irritating. I think the entire game would be 200% better if it didn't have this volume drop and you could set both volumes at a constant level.

This is my main gripe so far. Completely loving seeing this game in its preliminary version high res glory. Amazing job. (:

Dyandod
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Dyandod » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:27 pm

I don't have the HD mod on this computer but I'm pretty sure you change the volumes for everything in the Setup Menu (from the title screen).
KYAAAAAIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEE!

snys
ZEXy Beast

Post by snys » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:27 pm

Just found this and played through it... loved it! My wishlist is mostly just that some of the graphics could be upgraded a bit, as some the original ones are nicer...

Bad aliens : Syreen, Druuge, Kohr-Ah, Probes, The Ship (in hyperspace especially)

Syreen - was never that great in the original, but something about the old style one was still sexier. Also the lack of blacking out during the 'sex-scene' killed the mood. lol ;p
Druuge - horrible update imo. The original one is raw and gritty but this one looks all smoothed out and not intimidating at all.
Kohr-Ah - same as Druuge, too smoothed out... most of the graphics I didn't like were too smoothed out and looked as though they were missing the raw detail of the original. I think the regular Ur-Quan (Kzer-Za) are perrrfect, and I wish the title splash screen was of them instead of the mediocre Kohr-Ah. My two cents.
Probes - I was somewhat bothered at the angles and the changes to the probes... Not as much as the kohr-ah/druuge/syreen though.
Ilwrath - could be a little better too but wasn't as much a concern as others.
The ship itself looks ugly in hyperspace. The original ship never really looked great but some of the perspective changes just don't look that nice to me in H-space on this hd update... Why not use a model of the ship as seen on the right side-bar screen? I think that outline of the ship really looks the most aesthetically pleasing.

Anyway, don't take this criticism too negatively, because I felt the entire rest of the game was amazing. I love every other graphic update, especially all the ships in combat. Everything is so detailed now, (maybe a bit too much with the Ur-Quan ship!) and I just hope the game will continue to improve over time :)

All I can see that would make the game better would be to update those graphics on the unfinished (imo) looking aliens. (Although rendering the game entirely in 2.5d polygons could be nice too ;D but I realize it looks true to the original in this way.)

Excellent work... I'm moving onto the current HD version of Project 6104. Any date on a release for that one? I'd love to be an alpha/beta tester for whatever new versions you guys might have completed so far! Anyway, keep up the great work.

UltronUser25
Hunam adventurer

Post by UltronUser25 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:19 pm

Possibly far too late to get in a suggestion (maybe for a future revision?) but I was watching a(nother) Ur-Quan fall before my Utwig and noticed that the explosion is smaller thanthe ship and it just vanishes (the ship) - would an idea be to have a ship 'break' into 4 or 5 pieces that scatter out and fade during the explosion?
I know this isn't a 5 minute job and is probably going to take a lot of time, but it was an idea I had, if it's out of scope or too complicated then don't worry!
The Ultron tells me I should wear my Mask of Toys for Bob Appreciation when playing Star Control 2.

dczanik
Ilwrath spawn

Post by dczanik » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:28 pm

UltronUser25 wrote:Possibly far too late to get in a suggestion (maybe for a future revision?) but I was watching a(nother) Ur-Quan fall before my Utwig and noticed that the explosion is smaller thanthe ship and it just vanishes (the ship) - would an idea be to have a ship 'break' into 4 or 5 pieces that scatter out and fade during the explosion?
I know this isn't a 5 minute job and is probably going to take a lot of time, but it was an idea I had, if it's out of scope or too complicated then don't worry!
Planned for a future version. Also visible damage to the ships as you fight. Scorch marks, panels exposed, etc.
- Damon Czanik