Ur-Quan Masters HD: Beta 1 Released!

An HD remake of Star Control 2. It's the full Ur-Quan Masters game but also featuring a high resolution mode, new features, & new artwork.

Moderators: dczanik, ZFP Peacekeepers

dczanik
Ilwrath spawn

Ur-Quan Masters HD: Beta 1 Released!

Post by dczanik » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:17 pm

Hey guys,

The Windows version of Ur-Quan Masters HD is out. Mac version should come next week.
You can download it here:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/urquanmastershd/

Or at ModDB: http://www.moddb.com/mods/ur-quan-maste ... 1/#4127863

If you have problems, you may need to install the Visual Studio 2010 Redisributable package (x86, or 64 bit). There's also a small chance .NET may be required. Visual Studio can be weird. :-\-smf

Android version: http://sourceforge.net/projects/libsdl- ... k/download

Main Features: Tons of bug fixes, Sol system uses the real planet textures, Name your save games, Load UQM games, F7 at the map screen shows you the Pre-War map/constellations.

Beta Changes:
250+ bug fixes!
Support for all monitors, even for the 1280x960 mode!
Fullscreen mode automatically scales to fill the screen (in correct aspect ratio of course)
640x480 Native Graphics Resolution.
Most of the enhanced solar system graphics now user-selectable to retain the original 1992 experience.
Authentic planet surfaces for Sol system planets.
Moon letter is shown in the blue planet name box when orbiting a planet (in hi-res modes).
A map of constellations is now available in the starmap by pressing F7
A map of the pre-Ur-Quan-war situation is now available in the starmap by pressing also F7
Starmap cursor movement system is now more user-friendly in hi-res modes.
Quasispace holes’ corresponding hyperspace coordinates are shown on QS map AFTER entering the hole once.
Support for savegames from ”vanilla” Ur-Quan Masters
Nameable savegames.
Fixed AI so the computer controlled Ur-Quans should finally be LETHAL.
Lovely ship info screens now available in super melee (press right alt in ship picking grid).
Improved Artwork.
Finally, the missing bits of Mycon dialogue have been recorded and added into the game.
Totally re-recorded, better quality Utwig voice acting.
Ships can be deleted from fleet in Supermelee with both ’delete’ and ’backspace’ keys (will help some laptop users)
Cheat mode available for cheaters!!!
Shows a list of all mineral values as you are scavenging for minerals. Can be turned on/off.
Russian Language support (a little buggy). Translators. I need your help for other languages!
Graphics package for other translations.
Many "non-vanilla" options can now be turned off.

And, in case you missed it:

Alpha Changes:
All new artwork at over 4 times the original's resolution.
Planets rotate and orbit their star in the interplanetary view. They also feature the textured planet surface graphics in the IP view.
Animated suns (hi-res).
Nebula backgrounds.
Enemy ships in interplanetary view are no longer static icons, but can rotate.
Smarter mineral collection – the remainder of a partially collected mineral node stays on the surface instead of disappearing.
The value of biologicals is shown when picked up.
Shooting the tractors on the moon makes them explode.
In Starmap both the ”max distance you can travel”, and ”max distance from which you can still return to Sol starbase” are shown.
A color-coded warning is displayed when deploying lander and the fuel consumption would make it impossible to return to Sol starbase.
When exiting a system on autopilot, automatically exit facing in the correct direction, regardless of your facing when you left the in-system screen.
Destroyed Zoq-Fot-Pik colony worlds can be found in their area.
It is now possible to encounter Slylandro probes in solar systems.
Some fixes to Ur-Quan & Kohr-Ah AI.
The game now asks to give player & flagship name in a clear in a noticeable manner when starting a new game.
- Damon Czanik
Artist/Project Leader for Ur-Quan Masters HD and the SC2 Fan Sequel,Project 6014
My new portfolio site! and my DeviantArt!

chenjesuwizard
Malfunctioning M:bot

Re: Ur-Quan Masters HD: Beta 1 Released!

Post by chenjesuwizard » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:46 pm

Thank you for this. Will download when I get home.

oldlaptop
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by oldlaptop » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:49 pm

Good to hear this! Debian/Ubuntu packages should be ready this weekend.
Play Supermelee online in #uqm-arena!
Netmelee Improvement Mod

dczanik
Ilwrath spawn

Post by dczanik » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:20 am

oldlaptop wrote:Good to hear this! Debian/Ubuntu packages should be ready this weekend.
And this is why oldlaptop is awesome. He's like Santa Claus for Linux users, and I suspect he's just as real as Santa. He might possibly be just a super advanced AI. ;)
- Damon Czanik
Artist/Project Leader for Ur-Quan Masters HD and the SC2 Fan Sequel,Project 6014
My new portfolio site! and my DeviantArt!

Salk
Hunam adventurer

Post by Salk » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:20 am

dczanik,

first of all: thank you very much for Beta 1.

I have a few questions:

1) How complete is now your HD mod? What's left for you guys to do?

2) The original 0.7.0 UQM software is being worked on and there will be a 0.8.0 some day but there is a snapshot version available with date Jan, 2013. Is it safe to use that together with the HD mod?

3) I never played before the original game but just yesterday I started reading the manual and everything else (I bought a second handed copy of the original PC game) in preparation of playing it for the first time with the HD mod: do you have any suggestions about how to make it as impressive as it's now possible? (Other compatible modifications?)

4) A small nitpicking: the installer creates two entries in the Start Menu: Ur-Quan Master High Definition and Ur-Quan Master High Definition Beta 1. I think it's redundant. It's better with one that has both the Uninstall and the Start game options together.

Thanks a lot!

Salk
Hunam adventurer

Post by Salk » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:14 am

Hello again!

One more thing: it seems like all the info screens about ships in Super Melee (brought up by pushing Alt) are all still in low resolution. Are there plans to HD-ify them as well?

Thanks!

gtb2002
Arilou wiseguy

Post by gtb2002 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:27 pm

none of the info works for me ?
FYI: I've explored almost all the dialogue trees in Sc2.

oldlaptop
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by oldlaptop » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:43 pm

A few Debian packages are complete - a Wheezy amd64 binary, the base content, and hires2x/hires4x. These have not been well-tested yet, but seem to work well for me. i386 and Ubuntu binaries, as well as the other content packs, will be available later today/later this week, as I get them built.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/urquan ... %201/debs/
Play Supermelee online in #uqm-arena!
Netmelee Improvement Mod

superbutcherx
Hunam adventurer

Post by superbutcherx » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:52 pm

Aaaand the Apple OS X version is just in!

- - - Here it is. - - -

The game has been tested and verified to work on:
- 10.8 and 10.7
- 1280x800, 1440x900, 1920x1080 displays
- A 2008 white Macbook, a 2012 Mac Mini and a 2013 Macbook Air

Other configurations might work nicely also, but I haven't had a chance to test on other rigs than these.

O0-smf

Edit: Updates the download link to point to the new DMG file.
Last edited by superbutcherx on Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

darklord42
Hunam adventurer

Post by darklord42 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:50 am

Absolutely fantastic guys! A few points about the mac distro though

1) Zipping an already 7zipped (A much better compression) archive doesn't do anything except add another step to the process and needs another 600mb or so to uncompress the package, negating any minor benefit if there were any. (which there really isn't)

2)Most Mac distros of simple games and applications are done through compressed .dmg as it is easier on the end user, faster, and looks more professional. Not to mention you can add in your supporting docs. It's a sort of compression that the end user doesn't realize is compressed because the way the os just opens it.

You can do this by going into Applications->Utilities->Disk Utility and clicking on New Image, Create your .dmg, then when you put in your applications you can compress it by going to Disk Utility's -> convert, select the new image and select compress.

Packages are normally used for more complicated installations that require Package Maker's extra scripting abilities, which a simple .app doesn't.

-------------------------------------------
I was feeling bored so I did the work for you :) also created a spiffy icon for the .dmg image.
{Edit}Link Removed - no longer needed

Personally I'd rather dl the extra 70mb and not have to deal with .zip and then another extract with the self extractable 7zip app
Last edited by darklord42 on Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.