Ur-Quan Masters HD: Beta 1 Released!

An HD remake of Star Control 2. It's the full Ur-Quan Masters game but also featuring a high resolution mode, new features, & new artwork.

Moderators: dczanik, ZFP Peacekeepers

superbutcherx
Hunam adventurer

Re: Ur-Quan Masters HD: Beta 1 Released!

Post by superbutcherx » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:33 am

Thank you, darklord42!
You have most valid points there :)

1) It seems that Sourceforge wanted to zip the self-extracting 7z .app I made with my own pretty hands. Without asking me first. Grr.

2) You're absolutely right. Dmg is more familiar to most Mac users than the self-extracting archives that hark back to the Windows world.

Thanks for your instructions. I constructed a .dmg myself to get some practice and it worked without a hitch. That compression via convert option is very handy! I'm currently uploading the .dmg and will soon eliminate the old .app.zip monstrosity from Sourceforge.

darklord42
Hunam adventurer

Post by darklord42 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:54 pm

My pleasure! Actually, Im petty sure Ive seen Xcode can automate the whole compile and packaging process. I don't know how as im pretty sure it's scripting, but it might be worth looking into one of these days to save time.

two more little things. You titled your .dmg "OS X - The Ur-Quan Masters HD Beta 1 - OS X" seems a little redundant. (too many X's and O's make it seem like a high school love letter. :lol: )

and in case you didn't know, you can give anything, (application, archive, folder, disk image) an icon by copying any image selecting the file in question and going to Get info, cmd-i, clicking on the icon in the top left till you see a box border, and then just pasting. Its one of those hidden features that no one knows about that has been there since the days of OS classic!

Personally I like to give the dmg disk image on the desktop something other then the standard white disk icon. looks a little nicer and tells the user right away what it is.

I created that other one in 2 minutes in gimp but I'm sure you can create something else more to your taste. :)

superbutcherx
Hunam adventurer

Post by superbutcherx » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:29 pm

darklord42 wrote:(two more little things. You titled your .dmg "OS X - The Ur-Quan Masters HD Beta 1 - OS X" seems a little redundant. (too many X's and O's make it seem like a high school love letter. :lol: )
Never underestimate the power of negligence. The OS X file sits in the same folder as the Windows version, right next to it. There's bound to be quite a few users out there that wind up on that Beta folder page, and are just too eager to get their hands on the game - and would click the wrong file weren't it named very, very clearly as the OS X version. I'll rather have the file name look a bit stupid than have a single user dl 600+ MBs for nothing. That user just might have a 56k dial-up connection.

A neater icon for the dmg would be cool. I'll have to remember that the next time I'll upload the package!

As for the packaging, I'm using command line tools to compile the game, not Xcode itself. It should be doable to create a command line script to do the packaging stuff, but I'm just too darn lazy...

dczanik
Ilwrath spawn

Post by dczanik » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:33 am

Let's see if I can answer some unanswered questions here:
Salk wrote:dczanik,

first of all: thank you very much for Beta 1.

I have a few questions:

1) How complete is now your HD mod? What's left for you guys to do?

2) The original 0.7.0 UQM software is being worked on and there will be a 0.8.0 some day but there is a snapshot version available with date Jan, 2013. Is it safe to use that together with the HD mod?

3) I never played before the original game but just yesterday I started reading the manual and everything else (I bought a second handed copy of the original PC game) in preparation of playing it for the first time with the HD mod: do you have any suggestions about how to make it as impressive as it's now possible? (Other compatible modifications?)

4) A small nitpicking: the installer creates two entries in the Start Menu: Ur-Quan Master High Definition and Ur-Quan Master High Definition Beta 1. I think it's redundant. It's better with one that has both the Uninstall and the Start game options together.

Thanks a lot!
1) How complete? Well, that depends on what you're asking. Is it a complete game? Yes. Is it "Done"? No. And I couldn't tell you when that would ever be. See the stated goal of UQM-HD is make Star Control feel like a modern game. But what is 'modern' changes as technology improves. So I'd like to see the HD project do the same. Certain things like the limit of 16 angles, lackluster animation system, lack of interactive elements, etc. forces the game to still feel un-modern. While these options should always be able to be turned off and on (for the purists), the main goal of UQM-HD was to bring in NEW fans of Star Control. People that would never play the original game due to the dated graphics.

I firmly believe it's because of Ur-Quan Masters, the HD game, 6014, other forgotten gems like the Timewarp project, and the fans that has kept the idea of a new Star Control game from dying out. We're showing the market wants it. For that, I think we all deserve a little pat on the back for that.

As far as the next update? Well, I'd like to concentrate on other projects for the moment. The art is fairly complete. The programming, well...there's tons of opportunities there, but we need more programmers.

2) Implementing the UQM code has always been challenging, but not impossible. When UQM-HD started, it was based off of the 6.2 code. I'm left wondering where does the UQM go from here? Nameable save games? We got that. Multiple resolutions? We got that too. Perhaps better network stuff, or mods? The vast majority of improvements have been largely outside of UQM. Timewarp, UQM-XNA, 6014, UQM-HD, and the SC-3D projects have all got features that the UQM team doesn't. I LOVE the UQM team dearly, but they've got a pretty mature product, and how much can you really develop on a game you're dedicated to not changing? I would like to see the UQM team be a little more open about their plans for the future, document/comment their code better, port their stuff to other platforms (like HTML5) and support mods more. Frankly, I think the UQM team should focus on taking our artwork, and taking our code. There's no big need to keep the two projects separate.

3) Fast computer, big monitor. That's about it. If you really want to make it impressive, get me some extra programmers ;)

4) That's a bug. It's my fault. I'll work on later.
Salk wrote:Hello again!

One more thing: it seems like all the info screens about ships in Super Melee (brought up by pushing Alt) are all still in low resolution. Are there plans to HD-ify them as well?

Thanks!
Yes, of course. My plans are actually far more than that.
Re-creating the info screens, the 3D0 style rotating ship view, and tips and tactics videos. Problem is time (as Zenzmurfy, our main ship guy is working on a paying project), and having the engine read a more modern format like OGG video. It's coming though.

Also, one thing I'd like to do, is have other artist packs. Zenzmurfy has re-created a lot of these characters in 3D. We've talked about a Zenzmurfy 3D pack. I'm also interested in making 3D characters, and 2D hand drawn ships. I'm keep pestering Zarla to see if she could ever come up with a Zarla pack that would look more cartoony.

Also on Windows, some people are having problems re-running the game. For some reason it runs fine the first time, but it doesn't run fine the second time. Weirdly enough, the uqmdebug.exe works just fine. As do the batch files.

Any other questions I missed?
- Damon Czanik
Artist/Project Leader for Ur-Quan Masters HD and the SC2 Fan Sequel,Project 6014
My new portfolio site! and my DeviantArt!

Salk
Hunam adventurer

Post by Salk » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:13 am

Great answers there, dczanik!

Thanks a lot! And believe me, if I was a programmer I'd volunteer to help without blinking once. I think the job you're doing is simply astonishing and I'm going to follow it closely in the future as well.

Good luck!

gtb2002
Arilou wiseguy

Post by gtb2002 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:47 pm

that it don't show the info at all for my windows 8 computer that is 64by 64
FYI: I've explored almost all the dialogue trees in Sc2.

Dark Hunter
ZEXy Beast

Post by Dark Hunter » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:02 am

dczanik wrote: Also on Windows, some people are having problems re-running the game. For some reason it runs fine the first time, but it doesn't run fine the second time. Weirdly enough, the uqmdebug.exe works just fine. As do the batch files.
Ran into this problem myself (Windows 7 64-bit), but running the executable as administrator has fixed this.

I do have another question though:
How do you get the UQM Remix music working in this? I've put the remix files into the addons folder alongside the 3DO music and other files, but no matter what it only plays the 3D0 or original music, never the remixes. Am I missing something obvious?

EDIT: I needed the Remix files in .uqm format. My older install of the game read them from ordinary .zip files. Apparently HD does not. Working now, though.

That aside, let me just say: excellent work on this! The improved planets and ships are amazing to look at.
Last edited by Dark Hunter on Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

dczanik
Ilwrath spawn

Post by dczanik » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:10 am

Dark Hunter wrote:
dczanik wrote: Also on Windows, some people are having problems re-running the game. For some reason it runs fine the first time, but it doesn't run fine the second time. Weirdly enough, the uqmdebug.exe works just fine. As do the batch files.
Ran into this problem myself (Windows 7 64-bit), but running the executable as administrator has fixed this.

I do have another question though:
How do you get the UQM Remix music working in this? I've put the remix files into the addons folder alongside the 3DO music and other files, but no matter what it only plays the 3D0 or original music, never the remixes. Am I missing something obvious?

That aside, let me just say: excellent work on this! The improved planets and ships are amazing to look at.
It appears that turning on the remix pack is messing some configs up resulting in a black screen, or the intro playing on just a small part of the screen. We're looking into it, and hope to fix it in the next patch.
- Damon Czanik
Artist/Project Leader for Ur-Quan Masters HD and the SC2 Fan Sequel,Project 6014
My new portfolio site! and my DeviantArt!

darklord42
Hunam adventurer

Post by darklord42 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:16 pm

Dark Hunter wrote: EDIT: I needed the Remix files in .uqm format. My older install of the game read them from ordinary .zip files. Apparently HD does not. Working now, though.
I should say Uqm-hd's ability to read .zip files, including Remix music, works just fine. It's possible something is wrong with the folder structure inside your .zip. Did you try to combine the downloaded files or something? When you downloaded it you should have gotten 4 separate parts with .uqm (which is just .zip renamed) and all you need to do was throw them directly into the addons folder

ThriveDev
Silly Supox

Post by ThriveDev » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:40 pm

Only thing i don't like is how Pkunk nose thing looks empty without pixelated shading, but everything else is great. :)
*Sees quasispace portal* Yes! *Portal dissapears*