Sequels strife

Ahh, vague omens and mysterious portents. Tangled webs of fate intertwined with the branches of destiny, blown by the capricious winds of happenstance. News, news....uh, actually there is some news!

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Shiver
Arilou wiseguy

Re: Sequels strife

Post by Shiver » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:25 am

vok3 wrote:I don't know if this got posted already, I didn't notice it if it was, but this is a listing that gets kept up-to-date of all filings in the case:

https://www.pacermonitor.com/public/cas ... III,_et_al

So you can just bookmark that and take a look at it every now and then to get an idea of what's going on.
Oh, good find. Thanks.

Dyandod
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Dyandod » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:14 pm

Another report from Fred and Paul, as of a couple hours ago: https://www.dogarandkazon.com/blog/2018 ... ien-planet

I think I said this last time, but my eyes kind of glaze over every time something new comes out in this fiasco. I THINK I know who I believe now, but this feels exactly like the smoke and mirror type politics that make me hate... well... politics.

I don't want to hate thinking about the future of one of my favorite games of all time, but here we are.
KYAAAAAIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEE!

Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Alvarin » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:26 pm

Interesting set of demands there...
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.

krulle
Ilwrath spawn

Post by krulle » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:31 pm

If the demands are true...
They fit a pattern though.

On the UQM there's a whole list to the USPTO trade mark requests, so that part is true.

Well, I'm about to put my money set aside for Origins to a different pot, and buy Origins only once they're on discount, or buy it second hand (which is legally always possible in Europe).

Shiver
Arilou wiseguy

Post by Shiver » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:22 pm

Brad instructed his attorneys to be as gentle as possible, huh? Is that what they're doing now?

vok3
Hunam adventurer

Post by vok3 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:20 am

No, that's "go for the throat".

It's also claims to rights that Stardock has repeatedly said it doesn't have. You can't file a trademark on a word in someone else's IP and then force them to pay you a license fee for their own IP - a court's going to see right through that maneuver. This looks to me like a critical overreach that could end very badly for Stardock.

Quasispatial
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Quasispatial » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:59 am

Yeah. Getting too greedy there. Starting to seem more and more like Stardock bought the "Star Control" name and started Origins on the assumption that they would be able to license the original UQM bits into it somehow, or that they'd be able to get Paul & Fred on-board. Now obviously that didn't happen, so someone got the bright idea to try and force the issue. Which brings us here. Suffice to say I'm not going to buy Origins for at least a long good while, even if it was looking pretty good.
"Sentient life. We are the Ur-Quan. Independence is intolerable. Blah, blah, blah." - the Spathi High Council, Star Control II.

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:39 am

The sad reality of legal battles is that Stardock, with all the resources of a corporation, are easily going to outlast Fred and Paul if they decide to drag this out. The more cheap tricks they play, the more effective this tactic becomes, because lawyers are expensive and wading through more bullshit just means more billable hours. That, I think, is the endgame for Stardock's long con here; they don't want to get to a judgement, just to the point where Fred and Paul simply can't afford to fight them anymore which would make their settlement position much stronger. Hopefully this can be sorted out rapidly, and will actually go to judgement, because then I suspect that maneuver will backfire spectacularly. Time is not really on Fred and Paul's side, however.

And you'll note, Stardock wants UQM now in addition to the classic SC games. I'd suggest everyone that doesn't have a copy, grab one soon before the Cease and Desist shows up.

Frogboy
Hunam adventurer

Post by Frogboy » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:07 pm

Quasispatial wrote:Yeah. Getting too greedy there. Starting to seem more and more like Stardock bought the "Star Control" name and started Origins on the assumption that they would be able to license the original UQM bits into it somehow, or that they'd be able to get Paul & Fred on-board. Now obviously that didn't happen, so someone got the bright idea to try and force the issue. Which brings us here. Suffice to say I'm not going to buy Origins for at least a long good while, even if it was looking pretty good.
That is not an accurate representation of the matter.

Once it became clear that Paul and Fred weren't going to be able to participate in the new game and asked us not to use the aliens in the new game, we moved forward without them. At this stage of development, we couldn't include the classic aliens in the new game even if we wanted to.

Once Paul and Fred decided to try to cancel our Star Control mark and continue to develop a sequel that they intended to associate with Star Control, we had little choice but to ensure that we have control over what is and isn't associated with Star Control.

Paul and Fred were offered this IP at our cost back in 2013 and declined the offer prior to us investing millions of dollars into it. Now they want to have their cake and eat it too -- make a new game using the fame and good will of Star Control but without having had to acquired that right.

Replace Star Control with Skylanders and ask yourself how that would work out.

Stardock has been supportive of fan communities for decades. Its games have millions of players around the world and a big reason they are popular is because we provide long term support to the games and the communities themselves.

To answer the obvious question, the answer is yes. Every time Paul and Fred raise the stakes we will respond.

If they truly wanted to settle this, they wouldn't have sicced their lawyer on me in the first place back when they were going to just make Ghosts and not touch our trademark and we would continue with the new Star Control games without using their IP. Instead, they launched Ghosts complete with box shots of Star Control, claims of having been the ones who released Star Control (as opposed to Accolade) and promoting it to the press as the direct sequel (or true sequel) to Star Control and made clear that they had no intent to stop doing that.

In addition to that, they began to demand that we police forums and steamworkshop to prevent anything that they believed infringed on their rights and demanded we begin removing features and elements from the new game that they decided infringed on their rights such as using the term "Super-Melee" (which we did in deference even though they have no legal basis to demand it).

I realize I will always appear the bad guy here. I'm the one posting after all. I would invite for Paul or Fred to show up here and participate rather than posting misleading or outright false statements on his blog. If the court allows, I would be happy to publicly share our entire email chains publicly so that the public can make their own judgment on who was being reasonable or not.

I won't claim that Stardock isn't playing hard ball at this point. We've (and I personally) have been the target of an unprovoked, multi-month long smear campaign. I made game development my career because of Paul and Fred because I admired them. 25 years ago. You can look at my Moby Games list (and that doesn't cover my work from the 90s). It's been very crushing to have them attacking me like this. But at this point, we've hardened our views of them based on the dual nature of what they post and what they say privately.

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:49 pm

Frogboy wrote:I realize I will always appear the bad guy here. I'm the one posting after all.
You're also the one making utterly unsupportable trademark claims way beyond what you ever bought.