Sequels strife

Ahh, vague omens and mysterious portents. Tangled webs of fate intertwined with the branches of destiny, blown by the capricious winds of happenstance. News, news....uh, actually there is some news!

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

User avatar
Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth
Posts: 1297
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:09 am
Location: Pennsylvania, USA

Re: Sequels strife

Post by Draxas » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:25 pm

This looks more like a doubling down on his claims to the IP. That does not bode well for settling this suit out of court.

glory_device
Ilwrath torturer
Posts: 458
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:02 am
Location: Laval, Canada

Re: Sequels strife

Post by glory_device » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:03 pm

Draxas, did you had any remaining hope of a out of court settlement?
''I swiftly matured into a fine example of my species and with my parents' assistance, achieved independence.
Specifically, they pried me from the doorjamb, and rolled me into the street.'' -Fwiffo

User avatar
Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper
Posts: 2040
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:12 am
Location: Israel

Re: Sequels strife

Post by Alvarin » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:28 am

To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.

User avatar
Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth
Posts: 1297
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:09 am
Location: Pennsylvania, USA

Re: Sequels strife

Post by Draxas » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:14 pm

glory_device wrote:Draxas, did you had any remaining hope of a out of court settlement?
I would have liked to think so. Even though Stardock's first settlement salvo was completely unreasonable, lawyers are supposed to be able to negotiate those terms down to a more agreeable compromise. It could have wrapped this up faster and (one could hope) in a mutually beneficial way. Now, it looks like we have years of court battles to look forward to. As I've said before, the likely intent is to try to bleed Fred and Paul dry by dragging things out as long as possible, until they have no choice but to settle at a disadvantage. Bad news for everyone, really.

Elestan
Hunam adventurer
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:28 pm

Re: Sequels strife

Post by Elestan » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:59 am

Draxas wrote:...the likely intent is to try to bleed Fred and Paul dry by dragging things out as long as possible, until they have no choice but to settle at a disadvantage.
Well, someone is pledging a match for all donations to P&F's defense fund between now and Saturday, so this would seem to be the right time to donate (and spread the word).

glory_device
Ilwrath torturer
Posts: 458
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:02 am
Location: Laval, Canada

Re: Sequels strife

Post by glory_device » Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:04 am

Draxas wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:14 pm
glory_device wrote:Draxas, did you had any remaining hope of a out of court settlement?
I would have liked to think so. Even though Stardock's first settlement salvo was completely unreasonable, lawyers are supposed to be able to negotiate those terms down to a more agreeable compromise. It could have wrapped this up faster and (one could hope) in a mutually beneficial way. Now, it looks like we have years of court battles to look forward to. As I've said before, the likely intent is to try to bleed Fred and Paul dry by dragging things out as long as possible, until they have no choice but to settle at a disadvantage. Bad news for everyone, really.
I might have become cynical over the years...I understand completely your point and it is really sound indeed! However, I didn't feed much hope on that scenario :(
''I swiftly matured into a fine example of my species and with my parents' assistance, achieved independence.
Specifically, they pried me from the doorjamb, and rolled me into the street.'' -Fwiffo

User avatar
Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper
Posts: 2040
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:12 am
Location: Israel

Re: Sequels strife

Post by Alvarin » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:28 pm

Part 3 of lawsuit explanation, including comments from both sides of the issue. Also - solution proposal.

To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.

User avatar
Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper
Posts: 2040
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:12 am
Location: Israel

Re: Sequels strife

Post by Alvarin » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:58 pm

Interestingly quiet on this front for a while. Have the sides actually settled? Did they just agree to drop the issue? Entirely? Till after Origins release?
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.

Elestan
Hunam adventurer
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:28 pm

Re: Sequels strife

Post by Elestan » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:10 pm

Alvarin wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:58 pm
Interestingly quiet on this front for a while. Have the sides actually settled? Did they just agree to drop the issue? Entirely? Till after Origins release?
It looks like Stardock removed (pending the outcome of the case) most of the SC2 content to reduce the risk of P&F blocking the release of SC:O.

See here for a discussion thread.

User avatar
Dyandod
Yehat Revolutionist
Posts: 636
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:16 am
Location: Illinois

Re: Sequels strife

Post by Dyandod » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:33 pm

Elestan wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:10 pm
Alvarin wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:58 pm
Interestingly quiet on this front for a while. Have the sides actually settled? Did they just agree to drop the issue? Entirely? Till after Origins release?
It looks like Stardock removed (pending the outcome of the case) most of the SC2 content to reduce the risk of P&F blocking the release of SC:O.

See here for a discussion thread.
One thing that stood out to me was is comment 1456. (Looking again, I see this was yours, Elestan)
The one place that I do think Stardock made an incorrect assumption is that Brad appears to have been taken aback by Paul and Fred’s refusal to work with him. It seems to me that he bought the trademark under the presumption that they would either quit their jobs at Activision to come work for him, or at least license him the rights to use elements from the prior games. But it doesn’t look like he actually asked them about it until after he’d already won the auction.

It looks like it wasn’t until he realized that they weren’t going to work with him that he realized that he might have bid on a lemon. He knew, from tons of feedback and posts, that a “Star Control” game without P&F’s involvement would not be viewed as legitimate by many of the fans. So he offered to sell it all back to them at his cost. However, they probably believed that he overpaid for it, so they passed.
I haven't heard this angle much, but it speaks to me. It seemed to me that Brad was acting like a child the whole time - I know, because I've been that child myself, drawing my own starmaps and creating races nearly identical to Star Control races but spelled slightly differently. Of course, I never got past paper drawings and MSPaint, so I never got close to being sued. Also, my first post on this forum was one of those "Hey I've got a great idea for a game but I'm not a programmer, so can you guys do the work..." posts. Brad clearly loves Star Control, but... he isn't acting or thinking like an adult about it.
KYAAAAAIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEE!

Post Reply