To sing in the heavens

Ahh, vague omens and mysterious portents. Tangled webs of fate intertwined with the branches of destiny, blown by the capricious winds of happenstance. News, news....uh, actually there is some news!

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

To sing in the heavens

Post by Lukipela »

Greetings ardent SC fans! Have you ever considered how much you rely on your sight? A large part of your input is streamed right from your optical nerve into your brain, easily overpowering some of you more delicate senses. And thus, how things look is something we often obsess over. Are the graphics good enough? Is it shiny? Is it beautiful? If like me you're born with a face no mother can love, this may feel unfair. You may feel that other qualities ought to be more important than simple looks. Surely what lies within ought to mean somewhat more than the surface? Beauty is not immortal, it fades with age.

In that respect, Star Control does well. While the graphics are still lovely in their own fashion, they bear testament to that the games youth lies far behind it. It is no longer one of the prettiest beaus out there. But even though that beauty has faded, the inner qualities still remain. It's a fun game. It's an interesting game. It's an exciting game. It is a game that still has loyal fans after more years than some of us care to reflect upon.

Those fans see through the alluring illusion of beauty. They see that Star Control is more than skin deep. In a myriad of different fashions, they honour the game for it's inner qualities. One way to honour it is to work on what was there, to create your own tribute to the game. There are many of ways to do this, from fan art to small applications of all sorts. But today, let's talk about music.

Star Control has some pretty nifty music. Even though the songs were not made with the game in mind, the creators did a fine job of lining up different songs with different races. We still carry that music with us today. But some of us do more. Some of us build on that, creating new versions of the music we've come to care for so dearly. That is why we have the music page.

Today I bring you a substantial update to that page. First, let me welcome a new remixer, Serosis. He has created a Yehat, VUX, Arilou and Ilwrath remix. Secondly, an old favourite of us has submitted two songs. Pablo Luna graces our page with a new Star Control Intro remix and a further Yehat remix. The Introduction remix was inspired by our very own Angelfish and his attempt, which is still in the works. We dearly hope he will finish it so that one day we may put it up on this page.

And lately, the internet has spoken to me. In words that cannot be denied, it has told me to reinstate Mango's Yehat remix on the music page. We hope you will enjoy this blast from the past.
Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Re: To sing in the heavens

Post by Angelfish »

Nice intro remix, Pablo! I hadn't seen it before, but it's a really nice representation of the SC2 intro and I'm glad someone got inspired by my remix ;).

Edit: Just listened to the yehat remix. It's simply incredible! Tension building, trumpets playing etc was all spot on. :)
Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela »

Pablo himself found something wrong with it, so there is now an updated version on the site. He also said
Pablo Luna wrote:I would love to see Anglefish remix finished. It could be a remarkable song once polished.
So get cracking!
Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish »

Lukipela wrote:Pablo himself found something wrong with it, so there is now an updated version on the site. He also said
Pablo Luna wrote:I would love to see Anglefish remix finished. It could be a remarkable song once polished.
So get cracking!
Hehe, summertime is in the air and I'd much rather spend time outside and at parties than behind my computer. But on one of these rainy days, I might get to it again ;).
Nuclear
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Nuclear »

Just listened to Serosis's remix, and they were fairly enjoyable. They sound like the original mod files played on a fancy MIDI synthesizer, and you all know how much I love MIDI :mrgreen:
Hackers never die. They just terminate and stay resident.
son-of-Ahab
ZEXy Beast
Location: A 24th-century whaling ship, with madness in heart and harpoon in hand, baptized in nomine humanitas

Post by son-of-Ahab »

On this topic, coincidentally I've been thinking about downloading Finale Notepad and noodling on the old staves again. Suggestions on music creation software?
Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela »

son-of-Ahab wrote:On this topic, coincidentally I've been thinking about downloading Finale Notepad and noodling on the old staves again. Suggestions on music creation software?
Last time I did any music it was on the Amiga, and it was terrible. So can't help you I'm afraid. Angelfish, what did you use? Or Serosis?
Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish »

Lukipela wrote:
son-of-Ahab wrote:On this topic, coincidentally I've been thinking about downloading Finale Notepad and noodling on the old staves again. Suggestions on music creation software?
Last time I did any music it was on the Amiga, and it was terrible. So can't help you I'm afraid. Angelfish, what did you use? Or Serosis?
I use Reason 4.0 in combination with a midi keyboard ;).
Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela »

Er, the heavens speak to me and say

Software Modplug tracker (freeware)
http://lpchip.com/modplug/viewforum.php?f=2

Orchestra instruments (XI format)
http://ftp.kiarchive.ru/pub/misc/sounds/samples/ft2/

More samples (download songs and rip the samples)
http://modarchive.org/

HTML tutorial
http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=2741
Nuclear
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Nuclear »

Well I have joined the "heaven singer" bandwagon and made my own remix, which now has a topic in the mod forum for all to hear. What an achievement in personal satisfaction :D-smf . And, as for music software, I used ModPlug, which Luki has posted a link for. The name is a bit misleading though because.....It could just as easily be called "MIDIplug" ;D-smf
Hackers never die. They just terminate and stay resident.