Star Control 1 & 2 re-released on GOG.com

Ahh, vague omens and mysterious portents. Tangled webs of fate intertwined with the branches of destiny, blown by the capricious winds of happenstance. News, news....uh, actually there is some news!

Moderator:ZFP Peacekeepers

Nuclear
Yehat Revolutionist
Re: Star Control 1 & 2 re-released on GOG.com

Post by Nuclear » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:54 am

I would say that this is helping spread StarControl's beautiful name but...I'm pretty sure the only people who visit GOG are people old enough to be nostalgic about such "good" old games ::)-smf
Scott Irving wrote:I'll probably buy it just to check out the bonus content, im curious, cause I already have multiple physical copies of each game.
Insta-jelly. I only own a single physical copy of StarControl 2, and it didn't come with the damn Starmap....I also own StarControl 3, but that particular item has questionable sentimental value.
Hackers never die. They just terminate and stay resident.

oldlaptop
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by oldlaptop » Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:00 am

Star Controller (http://starcontroller.com/?p=1776) wrote: I sent an e-mail to Paul and Fred about what they think about this addition to GOG. They informed me that “Atari’s right to publish these games expired years ago” and they were not contacted before the game as added. They’re not getting their share of the profits. In addition, Paul said that he made an attempt to contact GOG about this and hopefully resolve this.
Don't think I'd buy the thing until they get that resolved :?
Play Supermelee online in #uqm-arena!
Netmelee Improvement Mod

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela » Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:56 pm

Yeah, I checked it out with Paul and he doesn't need us to beat on the big war drum (yet), but lets wait and see what happens there. good catch by Anthony, as always.

Anthony
Hunam adventurer

Post by Anthony » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:12 am

Lukipela wrote:Yeah, I checked it out with Paul and he doesn't need us to beat on the big war drum (yet), but lets wait and see what happens there. good catch by Anthony, as always.
It's probably the best thing to do. I hope it works out in TFB's favor.

The only thing I can think of that may be similar to this was when GOG was selling a Colin McRae racing game and removed it from the catalouge due to a licensing agreement with Codemasters, although they never went into the specifics. Those who had already purchased it can continue to download it. http://www.gog.com/en/news/racing_week_ ... es/2009/07
Check out my blog at http://starcontroller.com

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:19 am

So, now Anthony is part of TFB's webcare team?
The game industry is making enough money as it is, if they want such help, they can pay for it.

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:57 pm

Er, what? How is calling Atari out on distributing this without the rights to do so a bad thing? Would you want your work sold by someone else without your knowledge?

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:49 pm

Angelfish wrote:So, now Anthony is part of TFB's webcare team?
Er, we're pretty much all part of that team. Did you mean to post this on the Atari forum or something? :P-smf