All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Childrens' play log
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:41 pm 
Slylandro gasbags

I asked - it's not the Ur-Quan.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:31 pm 
Malfunctioning M:bot

I love the picture! It's so much fun to see their creativity and imagination getting brought out by the wondrous world of Star Control! Awesome! :D

There's bound to be some disagreements about where to go and what to do from time to time, especially since the game is so open-ended and each of them may have their own personal preference. Do you let them figure it out for themselves or do you step in and give your own opinion? Does anybody have the final word?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:08 pm 
Slylandro gasbags

We wait for consensus. There was a several minute argument over whether to insult Tanaka, which I stayed out of aside from steering them back to the question and reminding them of the options when they were suggesting possible dialog that wasn't available.

The 7-year-old loves getting minerals, but that hasn't really caused any disagreements yet. While digging snow this morning, though, he said he was gathering minerals. He keeps asking if various things are minerals (salt, water, sugar).

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:59 am 
Slylandro gasbags

We bought the cannon and lander-speed techs, and headed to the Spathi homeworld. Cleaned the joint out, made the alliance. They got it to stick. Heard about that funny vanishing star. Headed on to ZFP. Noticed we were low on fuel. Had to dodge a 'quan of some sort to get to them. Made alliance. Played Frungy. Headed home, got stuck, refueled, bought PDL tech.

Made it home, bought 2 eluders, upgraded gun to cannon, bought a third fuel tank, filled up. Not sure where to go next. Will think about it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:50 pm 
Slylandro gasbags

Layout tweak - we sold one of the cruisers and made a fourth fuel tank.

Upon reviewing the backstory, they wanted to visit Vela. So we did, and now we know where the Ur-Quan sphere is. Incidentally, the Raynet planets are JUNK.

Then they decided to head over to VUX territory. Scared of the Androsynth, so avoiding that until we have a decent counter. Saw a few sensor contacts as we entered the historic extent of VUX space, but they were out of the way. We just entered Alpha Cerenkov when time ran out for the session. No particular discoveries yet.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:21 pm 
Androsynth scientist

Death 999 wrote:
The 7-year-old loves getting minerals, but that hasn't really caused any disagreements yet. While digging snow this morning, though, he said he was gathering minerals. He keeps asking if various things are minerals (salt, water, sugar).

I love this. Kids are awesome! :D It's cool that you can experience a million "firsts" through their eyes. Makes me want to have kids of my own some day. :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:20 pm 
Slylandro gasbags

So we talked with ZEX for the first time, got the usual information. Didn't threaten him or anything. Got the hint that talking with other VUX might not be a super-awesome idea, though.

Headed directly down to Zeta Sextantis (skipping Beta along the way because unfriendly space) to follow up on Tanaka's hint. On the way, caught by a probe. Talked, blew it up with no losses (Spathi)

Reached Zeta Sextantis, mined it out, found rainbow world.

Thought we were near the Yehat, checked out Iota Sextantis.

On the way between planets, ambushed by another probe! Again disposed of it with no losses by Spathi, though it took longer.

Sapphire world!!!

And that was the end of this session.

BTW, Troglodyte, I've been checking that you know all this, and I will continue to do so.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:31 pm 
Malfunctioning M:bot

Death 999 wrote:
BTW, Troglodyte, I've been checking that you know all this, and I will continue to do so.

Thanks Death! You're the best! :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:03 am 
Slylandro gasbags

So, we headed galactic East a little to talk to the Yehat. Made it to the next star system that way.

Had a nice conversation, and then a… less nice conversation. Managed not to claim that the Shofixti are back. Fought briefly, did no damage, ran away, getting out JUST in the nick of time.

Figured that wasn't going to work out. They changed their minds about not checking in on the Androsynth since the Vulpeculae constellation was so shiny, so we headed back up that way through VUX space.

Met some VUX in Alpha Sextantis. Apologized, didn't do any good. Blew them up with Spathi.

We found a noticeable amount of bio data across today's session, mostly in the form of purple squids mushrooms.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:12 pm 
Slylandro gasbags

Two sessions.

Continued on to Alpha Vulpeculae to talk to Greenish. Bought a bunch of techs. Went to Beta Vulpeculae, barely dodging a probe. Met the Orz. Daughter doesn't trust them. Didn't press too hard, but did say they'd like an alliance. Took note of the antipathy with the Arilou.

Second session:

Headed around Vulpeculae clockwise. Visited Greenish for techs as we got more biodata. Asked a little about the Androsynth, but didn't press. Watched the definition of 'Frumple' in replay.

Filled up our storage bays just as we hauled Bukowski out of the lab. Bought techs up to but not including hellbores.

We talked about what to do next. Son wants to find Mmrnmhrm, even though I had just pointed out how the Chenjesu were the most powerful allies. Daughter suggested that 'Linch-Nas-Ploh' might be Draconis. Which they also noted is an UKNOWN on the historical map. Speaking of unknowns, they haven't displayed any interest in Pkunk, though maybe they'll check them out now that they have heat resistance and so are heading down to Alpha Centauri for the ruby worlds. Not that RU are a major issue now, what with our 7 filled storage bays and not being able to buy hellbores and shiva furnaces yet.