About to try to beat Star Control 2...no spoilers!

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Re: About to try to beat Star Control 2...no spoilers!

Post by Draxas » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:26 pm

The Troglodyte wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:31 am
They shared some information about themselves, mostly pertaining to their culture and lifestyle, which seems very business-centric.
Sometimes, you have a gift for understatement. This is definitely one of those times.
They even told us that we could benefit greatly from salvaging the resources from the wreckage Melnorme Trader ship.
I'm not even going to mark this as a spoiler since it should be obvious: This is a big fat lie designed to (if you somehow haven't already initiated trade relations with them by this time) make the Melnorme hostile to you and your life much more difficult. Destroying a Trader doesn't yield an RU load that is even above average, and certainly not even in the same league as destroying a Probe. There is no need to go back to your first savegame to investigate this. :P-smf

Interpret this as you like, but keep in mind just from this tidbit alone: maybe there is more to this than "just business."

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:12 am

krulle wrote: I feel much safer in the cabin next to the hellbore cannons right now....
So, you feel after sleeping with the hellbores, Greenish feels safer sleeping with his MetaChron under his pillow, but I feel much safer with my time machine under mine. ;)
Quasispatial wrote: Do not worry, captain. It's all just business. Unscrupulous, greedy business, perhaps, but do not take it personally. After all, it's all in the name of profit margins, and as any Druuge worth their salt would tell you, what in life is more important than a good profit margin?
I can see your point, but I’m still a few hours away from Zeta Persei I and I’m already getting the impression that these Druuge are like Ferengi on bath salts!
Draxas wrote: There is no need to go back to your first savegame to investigate this. :P-smf
Yeah, after a discussion with palmpet a while back I remember reverting time to experiment with the Melnorme when you can actually attack them and got to witness “blue alert” for myself!
Draxas wrote:Interpret this as you like, but keep in mind just from this tidbit alone: maybe there is more to this than "just business."

It could be that the Druuge have more animosity towards than Melnorme than just seeing them as the local competition. Hmmm…
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

krulle
Ilwrath torturer

Post by krulle » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:55 am

How much of their culture have you already been told?
You already know that the Crimson Corporation owns all land, water, and air on their home planet.
So, you'll know that the Crimson Corporation is a company that is not really used to competitors.
They may have lost the edge such big companies need to deal with competition, so it may just be their fear the Melnorme independent traders are hitting their business model hard.

On top of that, it is likely that the Doctrincal War in the centre of this region of space may also have shut down some of their trading activities too.
War is never good business if the warring sides bring their own weapons. Because weapon manufacturing is the only thing that thrives in a war. But if the warring factions bring their own weapons, they won't buy yours...

My analysis therefore concludes that the Druuge must be in a quite sudden and harsh recession.
Of course their trading tactics must become more aggressive.

Knowing what we know of their "employee benefits", we should be able to observe a shrinking in the Druuge sphere of influence, due to many employees being "fired" ("fired" in a rather literal sense).

Stickman_king_28
Silly Supox

Post by Stickman_king_28 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:04 pm

Is it ok for me to become friends with the maintenance drones? (by the way move my bunk away from the god dang shivas you arent the druuge) Stupid roleplay attempts aside, I think they'd buy the egg cases or other devices from you or maybe make an offer for that time portal? BTW captain dont accidentally press a button on the time machine while sleeping, seriously, the NanoWeaved fabric in your pillow is comfy but it would be a (somewhat funny) catastrophe if you caused a paradox while sleeping.
Soo... What were primitive ur-quan like? I just love to speculate about my favorite slave-master caterpillars. That wheezy voice acting tho
I have legal bulls**t phobia

palmpet
Ilwrath torturer
Location: Hillopia, currently imprisoned in Invictler Slave Hive.

Post by palmpet » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:54 am

"Yeah, after a discussion with palmpet a while back I remember reverting time to experiment with the Melnorme when you can actually attack them and got to witness “blue alert” for myself!"
(I tried to quote but my mobile wasn't working right.)
I assume you are referring to our discussion about the missed information about the Algolites?
"What's the point in being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes."

krulle
Ilwrath torturer

Post by krulle » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:22 am

Kudos to google.

He experienced the "blue alert" here. But can't find a post by you in the vicinity...

Ahha, teh "Algolite" discussion was in a different thread: viewtopic.php?p=24878#p24879, but he did mention the discussion in this thread here, much much later than he experienced the "blue alert" (which was on page 9, the algolite reference on page 72 of this thread.; the dates are 13 July 2013 and 14 September 2016 (repost in this thread 26 January 2017)). So I presume that The Troglodyte mixed it up in his mind.
So many timelines blurred together, a little mixup who prompted which action is permittable.

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:00 pm

So I read that last post and then flipped to page 1 real quick...

This Let's Play is nearing its 4 year anniversary. Holy crow we've been at this a long time.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:23 pm

Yes, thanks for linking that krulle. Since palmpet referenced some alternate dialogue pertaining to the Melnorme, afterwards I decided to go back and see for myself and see what else I could uncover, including the RU value of a Trader ship, which coincidentally I looked up after listening to the Druuge’s comments on Melnorme ship wreckage value, which is only 450 RUs.
Draxas wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:00 pm
So I read that last post and then flipped to page 1 real quick...

This Let's Play is nearing its 4 year anniversary. Holy crow we've been at this a long time.
Wow! :o I’m not sure if felicitations or apologies are in order. One things for certain though, I need to step up my game in delivering worthy entertainment to those who’ve stuck around for so long, especially at this juncture in the game. I had better start getting imaginative, but I have a feeling that something important is about to take place as I continue to mix and mingle with the Druuge, but I will continue to remain cautious because I’m not turning my back for a second on these guys!
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:27 am

The good news is, you may be clear to read the Peeru fanfic either now or soon.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:01 am

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain’s Log – Feb 19, 2158 – Zeta Persei I – Yellow Alert

We approached the innermost world of Zeta Persei, which turns out to be called by the Druuge as the Central Trade World of the Crimson Corporation, and let me tell you, they didn’t waste any time with the wheeling and dealing!

They scanned our vessel and immediately expressed an interest in some of the artifacts on our ship. In particular, for what they called a vortex spawner they offered 3 shiny new Maulers and would refuel our fuel tanks at no extra charge. A nice try, but of course I declined, realizing that the loss of our access to QuasiSpace would return us back into a state of conventional space travel, which by the way would mean that a return trip home would take more than a month and a half of traveling through hostile Mycon territory followed by a visit through VUX space, who still have a bounty on my head.

Despite our unwillingness to part with the portal spawner, it still didn’t make any difference though, because the Druuge were still interested in our Mycon egg case fragments, so I thought it would be worth it to part with an egg shell if it meant recruiting a fully-crewed Druuge Mauler to our fleet, but to my surprise they offered a special deal for us, due to our interest in the Rosy Sphere, whereas instead of the war vessel they said we could have the Rosy Sphere if we’d like. At first, I hesitated (purely a bargaining tactic) so to further convince us they claimed it was created by the mysterious Precursors and how wars have been fought over its possession. The crafty salesman even compared its pulsating glow with the heart of a slumbering god! These guys might be gross-looking, but they’re certainly slick with a sales pitch! We purchased the Rosy Sphere and even sold an additional egg to gain a Mauler warship of our very own!

Everything was seeming to go a heck of a lot more smoothly than I had first anticipated, but then it became time for us to try and make a few purchases, and that was when the bomb really got dropped on us. And to think the Melnorme’s credit system of scouring the galaxy for xeno-biologicals and weird-looking planets was a difficult bartering proposition, well at least the one-eyed merchants never asked for me to hand over members of my crew to acquire items! What?! My crew?! That’s outrageous!!

Upon hearing and learning how the Druuge trade people, I back-pedaled from buying anything, telling the Druuge peddler it seemed like slave trading to me. He tried to reassure me that crew as skilled as mine would receive immediate posts on the best ships in their fleet, but I still wasn’t buying it. In a final attempt to coerce us, he explained that he read over the crew assignments and agreements from our ship’s computer and learned that if I wanted to, I could order them to serve as Druuge crew, and they would obey me. I wasn’t going to sell my crew as Mauler combat battery fuel, but in order to take a look at the catalog of items, I pretended to go along.

And it didn’t matter what it was we wanted to purchase… everything was 100 crew! See for yourself:

Mycon Egg “PEZ” Dispenser – Cost: 100 Crew

Galactic Trade Map (Previous owners: the Humna Humna) – Cost: 100 Crew

“The Phallic Mushroom” Artist Unknown – Cost: 100 Crew

Star Wars Themed Body Scrubbers with Grape-Scented Soap – Cost: 100 Crew

They also had 2 items in a special vault that caught my eye: The Trident of Wimbli and the Glowing Rod (sorry folks, but I don’t have any pictures since cameras were not allowed in the special artifact room) and each item carried its own over-the-top backstory to impress potential buyers, but of course the 100 crew cost was simply out of the question. Hmmm… unless… oh, never mind.

We told them that the Melnorme always wanted to buy our biological data, and plus we had accumulated a significant amount of it from the Umgah as a reward (and oddly enough, also a gift ship Drone followed immediately by an unprovoked attack!) but the Druuge were uninterested. Of course, they explained they were willing to take all of the animal lifeforms we had captured on alien worlds off our hands… for a disposal fee of 100 crew.

There was one item that they sold that didn’t cost 100 crew; that being their fuel, which sell at a rate of 10 crew per 10 units. Ridiculous, and it also makes me ponder why the Melnorme claimed the Druuge practically gave away fuel! The Druuge trade master, in a attempt to make the sale, expressed how their fuel had special additives in it, which means you’ll always get the most out of your crew per lightyear!

I think we’ll go ahead and head back to Starbase so the scientists there can analyze our new artifact. Captain out.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------