Ghost of the Precursors: A speculation and wish-list thread

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Maloo Oture
Ilwrath torturer

Ghost of the Precursors: A speculation and wish-list thread

Post by Maloo Oture »

Hey everyone, it's been sort of quiet around here. You know, like it usually is. But knowing that Ghost of the Precursors will be coming out at some point in the distant future I thought it would give us a fun opportunity to discuss and speculate on what sorts of adventures and stories we might stumble upon. I think it's also fun to talk about the things we would love to see improved or changed from Star Control 2 and what things we want to see kept the same or expanded on.

Personally, I would love to see more about the Orz. But not in a way that makes me feel like I get them. I want to be drawn into a whole long adventure involving them and come out of it not knowing any better if I did something good or bad simply because the nature of the Orz. I assume the Arilou would be involved. Perhaps the Arilou have begin to lose the so called "battle" between themselves and the Orz? That would make for some interesting gameplay.

What are your thoughts?
Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Re: Ghost of the Precursors: A speculation and wish-list thread

Post by Draxas »

One of the things I love about SC2 is that it doesn't feel the need to explain away every mystery and detail, and a lot is left open to individual interpretation even once you've seen everything and the credits have rolled. I want the same thing from GotP: Address plenty of hanging threads from the earlier games, but leave some mysteries and vague details unexplained so that we can still find new angles to discuss about them 25 years later. ;)-smf

Of course, specifics:
- Like everyone else, I am dying to know the story behind the Mark II that gets teased in the final seconds of SC2.
- The Orz, of course, are entirely inscrutable and should remain so, no matter how heavily (or not!) their story gets detailed in GotP. I have always hated the idea that the Orz are tropeish omnicidal maniacs or eldritch abominations and exist solely to devour the universe or somesuch; I want their story to much more complex and nuanced than that. I always loved that SC2 teased these sort of ideas while making them some of the friendliest and easy to get along with allies in the game (barring that whole Androsynth line of questioning, anyway), and I hated that SC3 turned that around and made them super obvious villains right out of the gate. At no point do I feel we should ever get the sense that we "get" the Orz.
- SC2's ending really glosses over the final defeat of the Ur-Quan. I really want GotP to address what actually happened and how the Quans are supposed to integrate (or not!) into galactic society. Considering they've been the big bads for two games now, they deserve to go out with more than a whimper.
- I do not ever, ever, ever want to meet an actual member of the Black Spathi Squadron. I love them as a hilariously out-of-character Spathi legend. There is no possible way for an actual BSS to live up to that hype, and I would prefer if they didn't actually exist outside of the stories.
- Regardless of the direction the story takes, I want all legacy ships from both SC1 and 2 to be available to fly in Melee mode just as SC2 did with the SC1 ships. I felt like that was a huge and easily rectified mistake made by SC3, but then again, the new ship design was so haphazard and mostly poor in that game that having more legacy ships probably would have highlighted that even more.

Just a few things off the top of my head. I'm sure I can come up with more!
Kwayne
Hunam adventurer

Post by Kwayne »

I'd be happy would P&F plan somewhat ahead with 3 or 4 sequel episodes in mind, and since the franchise title is currently "The Ur-Quan Masters", I feel one important overall plotline should be the development of our relationship with the Ur-Quan races. The issue of the Doctrinal Conflict after the loss of the Sa-Matra has to be sorted out, as the question of the superiority of either doctrine is still unresolved. Even after that, the survival and legitimacy of the New Alliance depends on a peaceful or violent resolution with the Hierarchy.

Meanwhile, the New Alliance evolves as well: first being a mutual defense coalition (SC1), then a liberation force (SC2), it now needs to decide what shape should it take, and with the Chmmr having the obvious upper hand when it comes to enforcing any new agreements, getting to terms with their role in this organization is very important. Post war reconstruction and the treatment of former battle thrall enemies are additional concerns, not to mention that Hierarchy infrastructure is probably broken and Starbases are now left without resupply while both thralls and fallow slaves are now left to their own devices in some Hierarchy regions.

I'm also interested in Mark II as well. In a multiple episode plan I'd prefer discovering it to be the final achievement of the main game, as a prerequisite of the final battle. I imagine it as a considerably larger Precursor spacecraft than the "service ship" in SC2, so much so that from a human perspective it's more like a mobile base (where service ships can dock), therefore providing us a convenient anchor point in the new regions of space we'll end up visiting in later episodes. In short, Mark II would be Star Control Base.

As for the IDF elements, I'd like them to remain not only in the realm of the unknown, but I strongly recommend them declared unknowable. There's no point in figuring out the Orz or other Lovecraftian horrors and it would potentially do more harm than good. The disappearance of the Androsynth would feel much different after the fact. Which brings up the last thing...

Don't revive stuff! Sloppy ideas like that ruin sequel projects. Accept that things change with time and everything in Star Control as well as in life is a product of that change. The Mmrnmhrm and the Chenjesu are the Chmmr now. The brown Ur-Quan don't exist anymore and never will. As well as the Drall, the Yuli, the Burvixese and so on. There can be exceptions, for example it's perfectly fine if the Ilwrath weren't annihilated but reverted to a pre-nuclear age after their starfaring clerical class clashed with the Thraddash, and now new dark sects of savage Ilwrath are battling each other amongst the ruins of their civilization. It's fine because it doesn't take anything significant away from their self-destruction.

I wanted to discourage time travel as well, because people tend to use it like it's supposed to quick-fix the story, and it smells like the narrative equivalent of crazy glue, but lately I thought that an interesting way to end an Ur-Quan Masters Saga would be to encounter the Precursors in a Groundhog Day pocket dimension at the HyperSpace core, and play within that set of temporal rules a little, while various races from P6014, SC3, SC Origins and perhaps other franchises like Starflight and Project NOMAD congregate there. Plus the Mark II is commandeered by a Kzer-Za after making peace with the Hierarchy.

Anyways, I'm up for P&F subverting my expectations in a positive way, hoping that they didn't grow out of touch with their own creation.
Zelnik
I'M ALIVE!

Post by Zelnik »

The only thing I want is story, characters and development as good or better then SC2.

I don't want flashy graphics. I don't want skins. I want the story.
krulle
Reborn Shofixti

Post by krulle »

May I steal your quote, Zelink and adapt it to my wishes?
The only thing I want is story, characters and development as good or better then to continue where the original SC2 ended.

I don't want need flashy graphics. I don't want skins. I want the story.
And I want the original ships of the previous versions to be incldued in the "Super Melee", and not dissed for "licensing issues".