About to try to beat Star Control 2...no spoilers!

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Re: About to try to beat Star Control 2...no spoilers!

Post by Draxas » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:16 pm

Or, y'know, they have business arrangements with enough other races that they don't need to crew their own ships, just captain them. Or, alternatively, becoming Mauler crew is like going to debtor's prison. I expect that being assigned to crew duties on a Mauler would be rather punitive in nature in Druuge society, and is likely to happen primarily to those individuals who are being "repossessed" by the Crimson Corporation.

Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Alvarin » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:46 pm

So in this situation the way to ensure slave compliance and diminish mutiny moods is to promote those who benefit the captain and demote those who dont't? With the lowest position tending the furnaces. Kind of a meritocracy, in a way...
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:31 am

Yeah, this was a major subject in Peeru.

BTW, I think you're all caught up not to be spoiled by anything in that story so far.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:37 am

Thanks krulle for sharing the resource guide information. Now that I’ve really got down deep into Druuge culture, it has some interesting tidbits indeed, but I’m glad I was able to see this afterwards, since I was already prepared to meet the Druuge, but can one really be prepared for that first time you’re face-to-face with the Druuge! Their voiceovers gives them a very eerie and sinister tone which fits their dark nature. One of my faves… in a morbid kind of way!

krulle wrote:Except if their atomic furnaces can burn souls, and souls actually contain physical energy usable in this dimension…

Maybe we should watch them diligently, as they may be scientifically more advanced than we thought, Captain.

Way to stay on your toes, Commander! I like this concept of “soul energy” (and we’re not talking 70’s music here) and it would match their devilish style and disposition, plus it would answer the ‘why can’t they just bring tons of ground beef and a shovel?’ question.

Draxas wrote:Or, alternatively, becoming Mauler crew is like going to debtor’s prison. I expect that being assigned to crew duties on a Mauler would be rather punitive in nature in Druuge society, and is likely to happen primarily to those individuals who are being “repossessed” by the Crimson Corporation.
Alvarin wrote:So in this situation the way to ensure compliance and diminish mutiny moods is to promote those who benefit the captain and demote those who don’t? With the lowest position tending the furnaces. Kind of a meritocracy, in a way…

I agree with these positions too. It really puts the ‘dreg’ in the word ‘Druuge’!

Death 999 wrote:BTW, I think you're all caught up not to be spoiled by anything in that story so far.

Thanks, I’ll have to check it out. I can only imagine a story centered around a Druuge!
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:59 pm

The Troglodyte wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:37 am
Now that I’ve really got down deep into Druuge culture, it has some interesting tidbits indeed, ...
You ain't seen nothing yet. Keep playing!

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:56 am

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“The MetaChron is acting strangely again. You know what that means.”

“Hmmm… that’s disconcerting. Very well. Bring forth… The Golden Tesseract!”

“The uh… golden tesseract is in Sagittarius.”

“Well, then bring me… The Green Pyramid!”

“Pyramid’s in Beta Circini.”

“The Twisted Saucer?”

“Cygnus.”

“Yellow Javelin?”

“Alpha Muscae.”

“The Revolving Cylinder?”

“Yes! I do believe we actually have that one!”

“Ahem! Then please, bring hither… The Revolving Cylinder!”

(…a few moments later)

“Here you go. Whew! That thing’s heavy! Plus, it’s always rotating.”

“Stop crying! You’ll have to decrypt as I scan.”

“Okay.”

(buzzing…beeping…popping…)

“There! Okay, okay… Almost… Almost!… Wait for it... Got it! Syncing with time path."

“It’s showing the date deviation interval as beginning at the eighth hour of February twenty-eighth, twenty-one fifty-eight.”

“Yes, but it will never happen according to this. Uh-oh!”

“What is it?”

“Don’t you see? He’s going off on one of his little hypothetical adventures again!”

“Hypothetical adventure?”

“Yeah, you dolt! It’s what we’ve observed him doing every time he wants to experiment by making decisions he normally wouldn’t do just to get a glimpse of certain information and then reverting everything back to normal by traveling through time. It is as it should be, even though he really shouldn’t keep tempting fate, especially because the you-know-who are going to do you-know-what. Hmmm… this is interesting. Wait! What does he think he’s doing?”

“Perhaps we should scan his logs.”

“Oh no! Not again! Well, if we must… but his log entries are so outrageous! He’s an egomaniac I tell you! He thinks the whole galaxy revolves around him!”

“I don’t know… it’s true he demonstrates an intense level of emotion and passion, but it still seems endearing, and his love of science and history always transcends any eccentric or neurotic tendencies that ---“

“Shut-up! Activate the code encryption sequencer.”

“The what?”

“The code encryption sequencer!”

“???”

“The red knob thingy!”

“Oh!! That!”

“Idiot.”

“Okay, that should do it. The decoder will improve is it replays.”

“Shh! It’s coming through now!”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain’s LogFeb 27, 2158Sol

Although I believe it would be most prudent if we immediately set course for Utwig space and flagged down the nearest Jugger and then presented them with the Ultron device that our scientists back at base have assured us should be fully functional with the addition of the final piece: The Rosy Sphere.

We could’ve stuck around Druuge space longer and done some exploring, but those pig-faced freaks give me the creeps. They are not to be trusted at the barter table and they are relentless in battle, and now we’re forced to return back to their space. I can close my eyes and remember the booming sound from those cannons. Oh wait, I don’t know if sound would work like that in space. Whatever.

Therefore, I am going against my better judgement, but with the future of humanity on the line, I can’t afford the risk of not availing myself to learn every possible choice and there are still two items the Druuge possess that I must obtain and learn of their secret hidden powers. These objects I seek are… Wimbli’s Trident and the Glowing Rod!

This situation of course presents the dilemma of how to obtain them, since the Druuge seem uninterested in exchanging any of our other Mycon egg cases like they did for the Rosy Sphere. I mean, there is the “Prime Directive”, which clearly states that you should never sell your own crew into slavery (Did you think it would say something else?) but I figured the most closest attempt to fulfill our task without breaking that oath and saving our moral dignity would be to sell off our remaining egg cases along with the portal spawner for enough Druuge ships to make the transaction, selling their own people back to them, but of course that would mean I could only purchase one of the artifacts at a time and without the spawner we’d then have to lug it through space all the way back to Starbase and have the scientists analyze it, and then go back through time and repeat the process again for the second… but we don’t have that kind of time! I mean… we actually do have the time, you know, because of the whole time machine thing, but anyways, it’s because I’m lazy, okay? Happy now? Where was I? Oh, yeah! We don’t have the time! The solution? SHOFIXTI!

Yep! We’ve sold off everything but a single fuel tank and then piled this baby up with as many Shofixti as she can handle. The same goes with the fleet too (with much appreciation from a certain Spathi captain) as we’ve essentially stripped them of all non-Shofixti crew and replaced them with our heroic and courageous (and not to mention coincidentally completely oblivious to what I’m planning) friends and heroes! (I told them we were going on a “field trip”. Wink. Wink.)

It kind of reminds me of one of the stories from Pinocchio where he and a friend are persuaded to go to “Pleasure Island”; a wondrous place where boys can shoot pool, drink beer, smoke cigars and destroy furniture or any other form of mischief and mayhem as they wish, but unbeknownst to the juvenile hoodlums, it comes with a price, because after they’ve been there for a while, they begin to turn into donkeys, whereas the coach that brought them there can then sell them off to go work as laborours for the rest of their lives. So, it’s kind of the same thing with the Shofixti, except they aren’t going to turn into salt mine donkeys, but rather Druuge cannon fodder. I’d better start handing out cigars and beer to help the analogy.

I’ve also gone ahead and done the math and have determined that after we’ve spent two-hundred mice on the two artifacts, we’ll still have enough leftovers for purchasing an entire Druuge fleet, and with the seven additional Mauler warships we may very well be nigh invincible… and we just decide to take over the entire galaxy! Bwa-ha-ha!!

The best benefit to all of this is we’ll be able to use the portal, which puts us right outside of Zeta Persei, so we can head immediately to the nearest Druuge trade post and get out with our objects and fleet and head back to base, face the repercussions for our misdeeds and find out the function of these new devices. Simple enough, right?

We have set course for Zeta Persei. Captain out.
Captain’s Log – March 6, 2158 – Zeta Persei – Yellow Alert

We gained the artifacts from the Druuge, who seemed so sad to lose them and also fearful of the powers I could accidentally unleash on them before learning how to control their alleged mighty powers. I’m skeptical but I’m going to experiment with these things day and night until I have unlocked their hidden properties. We also made the appropriate transactions for the Mauler starships and are on our way out of the system.

Let’s review:

Step 1 – Grab the goods:

Step 2 – Bring in the Druuge fleet:

Check and check! Both tasks complete! Time to head back home. I shall soon be oozing with unstoppable power! Zelnick out.
Captain’s Log – Mar 12, 2158 – Starbase – Red Alert

So, we get back and Commander Hayes bumps into me in the hallway and then nonchalantly begins with the phrase, “Oh uh, captain…by the way, if you have a moment… I think there’s something you should know…” and then launches into…

Commander Hayes – “Welcome back, Captain. There is something I think you should know. I can’t believe what I’ve just heard! Captain, you’re a heinous slave-trader! Your exchanges with the Druuge have become a horror story throughout the entire starbase. If anyone here is stupid enough to join your crew, I expect the RU cost will be sky high. If you weren’t our only hope for freedom, Captain, I’d kill you where you stand. As it is, expect me to bring charges against you when this is all over.”

Ouch! I forgot about Step 3: Receive reprimand. It’s funny, after grabbing me by the scruff of my neck and slamming me against the wall and threatening me within an inch of my life, he immediately returned to his normal demeanor and went over the scientists’ report as calm as could be. I chuckled.

But then I realized as I thought back to all those poor swollen little eyes of the Shofixti looking back at me… (insert fake tears and violins) those bright and valiant eyes looking back as I condemned them to their doom in this alternate reality I’ve created where each little furball will one-by-one be inevitably tossed into their respective stove… and for what? A couple of useless trinkets! Wimbli’s Trident turned out to be nothing more than a purple devil's fork with the name “Wimbli” etched into the side and the Glowing Rod is basically a battery-operated child’s toy, and I’m still hoarse from screaming “Kyeee! Lykeee-lieee!” all night. Plus, it’s not even the shape of a rod! Not to mention, nobody wants to join my crew anymore! (RU crew cost has skyrocketed to 23!)

Well, this has been an exercise in futility! I think I’ll reset things back to before embarking on this fool’s errand! Captain out.
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

Quasispatial
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Quasispatial » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:17 am

Huh... I didn't know the RU cost increases stacked. Neato.

Anyway, it's nice to see some life around here. The forum's been disturbingly quiet recently, almost as though some particular black-chitined race which shall remain anonymous swept through here.

Keep up the experimentation, captain!
"Sentient life. We are the Ur-Quan. Independence is intolerable. Blah, blah, blah." - the Spathi High Council, Star Control II.

krulle
Reborn Shofixti

Post by krulle » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:00 am

You heineous slave-trader!

And for what?
Now there'll always be the alternative reality where you've sold loyal and friendly aliens into slavery!
Even if you "reset" yourself to a different timeline, this one will continue, at least that's the teaching of the multiverse theory.
And in that multiverse you'll always be known as a slave trader.
On top of that, you then simply disappeared, denying justice to be done.
But then I assume, if you're able to bring down the Ur-Quan menaces, all would be forgiven. What's a few hundred lives against saving trillions from being annigilated... I mean annihigated.. damn! Agnigilate... (-) from destruction?
Let' hope an alternate you continues that multiverse-timeline to a good end.

(interesting of you to have done that, I never did that, so I never knew what'll happen if I do buy the Wimbli's Trident or the Glowing Rod. I did expect the crew cost to rise though, as in my first play I did lose quite a few in fights, so I had to deal with an increase back then...)

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:27 pm

There are actually several tiers of dialog and cost increases associated with how many slaves you've traded away. You skipped straight to the final level since you went nuts all at once, but if you progress more gradually and visit Hayes more often, he becomes increasingly concerned, and then agitated, as you trade away more and more crew.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:00 am

I figured most folks would’ve attempted at one point or another (especially after winning the game) to venture out to the Druuge homeworld and see what happens when you purchase Wimbli’s Trident and/or the Glowing Rod, if nothing else but for mere curiosity. Speaking of which, I also find it curious why the Druuge wouldn’t even throw out an offer for another Deep Children Egg for one of these worthless trinkets. I guess 2 is all they need.

I had also had hopes that the Druuge would be interested in our bio-data, which is why I purposefully kept the 500 units of raw data we received from the Umgah when we received a Drone from them… right before they attacked us by the way! All for not, since all animal life from the Druuge planet has been undoubtedly long since used for Mauler cannon production.

I am also half-tempted to go back and make different kinds of slave swapping transactions and see the different reactions from Hayes, like Draxas pointed out, but I was (and still am) so floored when Hayes launched into the whole “heinous slave trader” bit. Hilarious!

And what’s the deal with the word ‘annihilate’? Since I’ve begun this crazy journey, that word has been fumbled through on more than one occasion by more than one person. Is there some dialogue reference I may have missed?

(Meanwhile…)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain’s Log – Feb 20, 2158 – Zeta Persei – Yellow Alert

We have reverted time back (and “accidentally” forgetting to return with the previous temporal black box back along with me through the time portal) to when we made the exchange for the Rosy Sphere Device for one of our Mycon Egg Cases (and a Mauler for another!)

We could return back to base to have the scientists analyze the device, but we already know what they’ll say, plus we already know how to assemble the Ultron, since I kept the instructions from our previous construction endeavors in my back pocket!

Therefore, we will set course back for Utwig space and show them a nice, brand-spanking new and improved Ultron! Captain out.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain’s Log – Feb 28, 2158 – Hyperspace {828.3 : 920.1}

I must say, things have gone surprisingly well. After departing the system, we went through QuasiSpace to get us back to Utwig space, and, lacking another destination, we set course for Zeta Hyades.

We encountered a pair of Juggers outside of the Gamma Hyades System and presented them with the Ultron in all of its glory. At first, they couldn’t believe it was the Ultron and I started getting nervous when they felt that we were playing a horrible trick on them.

Fortunately, upon closer inspection, they quickly discovered that we were actually telling them the truth and this was indeed the one, true Ultron. They took the Ultron (Careful guys! Don’t drop it!) into their possession and claimed to feel the power of the Ultron sweeping through the air and seeping into their veins as the power took hold. Ooo-oooh! What a rush!

The Ultron revealed that we should fly out to 2nd moon of the 6th planet of Zeta Hyades and take whatever we find there. (And I bet I know what that is!) What a coincidence! We were already heading that way!

Also, the Ultron told the Utwig to join forces with the Supox and attack the Kohr-Ah (but not before making me a little nervous again when they thought the Ultron was telling them that we were the intended target!) and only the Kohr-Ah. It’s a crying shame that we’re to the point of taking up sides with the Ur-Quan to help our cause. Hopefully the Ur-Quan will see our efforts and stay out of their way! Yeah… probably not.

The Utwig have terminated communications, so we will continue towards Zeta Hyades. Zelnick out.
Captain’s Log – Mar 3, 2158 – Zeta Hyades VI – Red Alert

We made our way to the system and headed immediately for the bomb planet. But then, as we entered orbit of the planet...

Uh-oh! I wasn't expecting to see the Druuge all the way out here… let alone 5 Druuge Mauler warships! This can’t be good! Captain out.