About to try to beat Star Control 2...no spoilers!

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Re: About to try to beat Star Control 2...no spoilers!

Post by The Troglodyte » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:26 am

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain’s Log – Apr 14, 2158 – Starbase – Status: Docked

Before embarking on our mission to seek out and destroy the dreaded Sa-Matra, I decided we should drop in on a few of our allies to see if there’s any new information or additional help we could gain.

We went back to Procyon II to talk with the Chmmr, and they’ve been contemplating the current predicament and have drawn a few conclusions of their own: First, they confirmed that the Sa-Matra is definitely in the Crateris Constellation; not sure exactly how they came to that conclusion, but it’s a moot point anyway since we already know the Sa-Matra is in Delta Crateris, and once you’ve arrived the Ur-Quan haven’t done a fantastic job of keeping it a big secret with their huge “donut of destruction” surrounding it.

They also came to the conclusion that the Shofixti’s act of causing their sun to solar flare took out a significant share of Dreadnoughts, thus leaving the Ur-Quan fleet undermanned for whenever the Kohr-Ah arrived to the region and initiated the doctrinal war. The real bad part could happen afterwards though if and when the Kohr-Ah win, since with the Ur-Quan sufficiently out of the way there will be nothing and nobody to prevent the Kohr-Ah from sweeping through and commence their galactic genocide. I came back to see the Chmmr a few more times to see if there was anything else they wished to tell us, but they basically started screaming at me in robo-voice to not get distracted and go destroy that (soon-to-be) blasted Sa-Matra!

We also journeyed through hostile space to Alpha Tucanae and paid a visit to the Zoq-Fot-Pik to see if they had anything new to report. They spoke of witnessing funny-looking masked beings and big talking weeds attacking the Kohr-Ah ships in the Horologii Constellation, which of course is the combined efforts of the Utwig and Supox. The ZFP guys guess that the Kohr-Ah will still eventually win, but this should slow them down some, postponing their inevitable victory to 9 to 12 months. Interesting.

We also went to Betelgeuse to see if Commander Talana could help us any further, but besides spending a few nights there to… uh, to uh… go over the Starbase defenses for any possible incoming attack. Yeah, that was the main reason anyway, but they didn’t have any news to share. We stuck around a few more days just to be sure.

I also considered going to the Yehat rebels and seeing about acquiring more Terminators for our upcoming battle, or even flying out to Gamma Krueger and getting more Pkunk ships, but I’m going to table those notions for now, since I’d like to keep my fleet as diverse as possible for our final mission, at least until I’m absolutely sure of what we’re dealing with this Sa-Matra.

Since everything we gained was of a fact-finding basis, I’ve gone ahead and reset time for after we arrived back at Starbase with the crystal bomb stuff installed to our barebones flagship, and now we can make our modifications and final fleet and crew assignments before embarking on our greatest mission ever to destroy that foul Sa-Matra! Captain out.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

krulle
Reborn Shofixti

Post by krulle » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:10 am

Here we finally go!
Yay!

One remark: Since you don't know the way the Sa-Matra fights, expect some really bad choices on your side regarding fleet setup and armament of your flagship.
I know it took me a few tries to finally win against the Sa-Matra.
Now I know of things that make it rather easy, but won't tell. It's a unique experience to be faced with this unknown "final boss".

Just let me say that I was rather disappointed with the Avatar. It works well, is easy to handle, but has drawbacks.
Oh, and I also wish for you to enjoy the final parts of the story, and the credit reel.

BTW: Whoever wants to go to Betelgeuse for anything else than to improve the weapon systems?
Especially the psionic ones, which need to be trained and fine-tuned.....
It's amazing what the fine staff of the Station can do with their psionic powers.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:36 am

Captain’s Log – Apr 14, 2158 – Starbase – Status: Docked

I have decided to outfit our flagship and its 6 available module slots as follows:

We obviously have to carry at least 1 fuel tank and 1 crew pod, so those were pretty much a given, leaving us only 4 from which to choose. For offensive capabilities and armament configuration, I decided that 1 Hellbore Cannon (which we’ve placed in the 2nd position to get the most bang for our starbuck) with a Tracking System and a Shiva Furnace should suffice to have enough punch in a firefight to do considerable damage, plus with the final spot we’re using a Point-Defense System in case we have to battle any Dreadnoughts (for dealing with their autonomous fighters, of course) and since we’ve placed it in the forward position, it can also double as a weaker version of “phasers”.

As far as our fleet goes, I’ve concluded that a diversity of all types of ships we can bring along can help us ascertain which ones can be most effective against the Sa-Matra. Unfortunately, we can’t bring with us every type of ship possible, so the Umgah vessel had to be scuttled in exchange for a Chmmr Avatar. (But I’m keeping a separate time slot, just in case the Umgah Drone -- a ship we cannot build -- proves to be a possible “Achilles Heel” for the Sa-Matra.) I asked Commander Hayes if there were any parting words he’d like to give us, to which he replied:

Message received Commander! We will set course for Delta Crateris. Godspeed. Captain out.
Captain’s Log – Apr 20, 2158 – Delta Crateris – Yellow Alert

We have safely entered the Delta Crateris System, although after exiting QuasiSpace through Portal 12 we narrowly escaped an encounter with either the Ur-Quan or Kohr-Ah as we passed Gamma Crateris, but with a quick course correction we avoided the unwanted skirmish and proceeded into Delta Crateris.

Back in Sol, when we brought up the starmap to leave the system, we noticed the Pkunk and Ilwrath have barely begun their respective journeys, while the Utwig and Supox have appeared to hit heavy resistance as their advance has halted in the Horologium Constellation, and their spheres of influence have started to shrink from the heavy casualties they must be incurring:

After sitting on the edge of the system, not sure exactly what to do next, I remembered how the Chmmr told us that the Dnyarri could use its psychic powers to distract the Ur-Quan long enough for us to attack the Sa-Matra, but I also remembered how last time we tried that the Talking Pet refused to help us, but then again, that was before we had found the Utwig Bomb and received the assistance of the Chmmr to modify it into some kind of crazy crystal doomsday device, so I called upon the little toad…

After he scolded me for trying to convey my concerns about the situation (not that I was scared or anything) he then took a deep breath and swelled up like a balloon as the hairs covering his squatty little body stood on end and the giant veins that covered his head/body enlarged and pulsated. Then his eyes squinted tight and he snorted as puffs of smoke streamed from his nostrils while a green glow emanated from him. Suddenly the massive fleet of Ur-Quan and Kohr-Ah ships broke their circle and quickly departed the system:

This is it! We will proceed towards the Sa-Matra. Red Alert! Battle Stations! Captain out.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

palmpet
Ilwrath torturer
Location: Hillopia, currently imprisoned in Invictler Slave Hive.

Post by palmpet » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:21 am

"What's the point in being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes."

krulle
Reborn Shofixti

Post by krulle » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:08 am

Interesting set-up.
Have fun!

(BTW: I never used the point-defense laser in this setup. A fight is so quick, the fighters won't get near you anyway, and the hellbores converging on the Ur-Quan kill the fighters on their path to the Dreadnought. - But it doesn't change much, the Kzer-Za are not the real enemy here, a tad more difficult are the Kohr-Ah with their blade and their F.R.I.E.D. (fiery ring of inevitable and eternal destruction), and of course the Sa-Matra itself.
I also only found out I could send the defenders away once I played UQM. In the original DOS series this works too, but I never used it. The ring of defenders also stays on their place and does not let itself get lured away, with the "blinking" time after a fight it was sufficient to have to fight only one of the battle groups to get into the planetary view.*)

Have fun experimenting which ship(s) work well against the "Big Trophy".
With your fleet-setup I presume you don't expect to win on your first try?*

reason for edit: discussions about what is a spoiler or not. changed parts have a * after it.
Last edited by krulle on Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Elestan
Silly Supox

Post by Elestan » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:13 pm

krulle wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:08 am
Interesting set-up.
With your fleet-setup I presume you don't expect to win on your first try?
You do realize that telling him that his fleet composition isn't very good for the final battle counts as a spoiler?

krulle
Reborn Shofixti

Post by krulle » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:37 pm

I did not expect my question to mean "I think you'll loose", so I saw little spoilers in there. (I never intended my question to be a hint at anything. Furthermore some ships in his fleet will work rather well, some less, depends on how quick his fingers are in getting the control right.)

[edit:added spoiler-tags to this paragraph] And this setup seems like a "let's see what works and what does not work, and then use the time-device to jump back and come with a better equiped fleet".
And doing that very much implies that the success rate is estimated to be rather low.

I know I went for an all-Chmmr Avatar fleet on my first run, expecting the Avatars being so late available in-game to be a hint that they might be the counter for whatever the Sa-Matra will be. *
I also expected that most ships would not fare well against whatever the boss would be, so I never went for a mixed team like this into the fight.
Basically I ditched all "small" ships (Skiff, Scout, Torch, Blade, Stinger, ...), in the hope the Heavy Ones would do. (First try was an all-Avatar fleet.)

(None of this is intended to be spoilerish, as this is my memory of my own first experience. Some small ships can work surprisingly well, and some big ones also were much worse than I expected.
But I CAN say that I did like the final boss fight, it was ...different... from the other fights so far in-game.)

I need to replay the final fight too, with different ships and see if I can make it work for all accessible ones.
...Once my family life allows me time - but I need some dreams to hold on to.

one ******* is enough to win, one Avatar was once enough to win for me (once, out of several tries); a fleet of Avatars should do the trick anyway. And while the Jugger is difficult to use to win, it is a rather good one to not die in the fight. The Terminator is good for quite some damage as well (3/8).

* turned out that the Avatars are merely suitable for any fight, so that even players with a poor finger-brain coordination and timing could make the story proceed and continue to finish.

and the counter to the Sa-Matra I only found out about once UQM 0.3 was running, and the forum posts spoke about it. For years I've been doing it WRONG.
Last edited by krulle on Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elestan
Silly Supox

Post by Elestan » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:51 pm

krulle wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:37 pm
I did not expect my question to mean "I think you'll loose", so I saw little spoilers in there. (I never intended my question to be a hint at anything.)
I can't speak to your intent, but asking "With your fleet-setup I presume you don't expect to win on your first try?" conveys that information just as clearly as "I think you'll lose". Even saying "Interesting set-up" drops a fairly obvious hint that there is a problem with it. To me, "No spoilers" doesn't just bar direct statements; it also covers oblique comments, references, questions, and turns of phrase that might hint at things he does not know. :-X-smf

Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Alvarin » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:15 pm

My go-to for the Trophy fight are the Spathi for defenders and Pkunk for generators.
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.

Tormuse
Nnnnnngaaaa!!!!

Post by Tormuse » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:43 pm

Woo! Go Trog! :D (Where's a popcorn emoji when you need one?) :P
krulle wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:08 am
I also only found out I could send the defenders away once I played UQM. In the original DOS series this works too, but I never used it. The ring of defenders also stays on their place and does not let itself get lured away, with the "blinking" time after a fight it was sufficient to have to fight only one of the battle groups to get into the planetary view.)
Erm... you can't win the game without sending the defenders away; Trog alread proved that, by fighting his way past them and running into infinite Dreadnoughts at the Sa-Matra itself. If you never used it, does that mean you never won the game?
krulle wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:37 pm

(None of this is intended to be spoilerish, as this is my memory of my own first experience. ***SPOILERS REDACTED***
I think you and I have a different idea of what constitutes spoilers. The sentence you wrote there talks directly about your experience with things Trog hasn't seen yet.