Star Control Discussion Board

All About Star Control
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:01 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1017 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95 ... 102  Next
 Post subject: Re: About to try to beat Star Control 2...no spoilers!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:44 pm 
ZFP Peacekeeper

It depends on the communications ability between probes, and how prompt the other probe's self-destruct is. Like, if they can communicate over fairly long distances on a special channel, then they could find each other easily without trying, and if they don't self-destruct until they've infected, say, three other probes with the self-destruct code, or found thirty younger probes, that should cover it.

I presume the self-destruct code was written by the Melnorme themselves, not the Slylandro, because it works.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:51 am 
Arilou wiseguy

It may well be, that the returned probe got ptogrammed with a different self-destruct code, but I never encountered them in-game....

edit: don't forget to bring your ZFP friends the code... They've been complaining about the "pesky red probed" (iirc)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:05 pm 
Slylandro gasbags

krulle wrote:
yay!
tell us when you meet the one probe that should kill all others and you use the self-destruct code on it.....

And one would think that could happen fairly quickly, seeing how the probe could still be in the area, having been recently deployed.

krulle wrote:
Anyway, that was a lot of work chatting them through it all....
I remember it took me more than one visit to talk them through it all...

It can certainly be accomplished in one visit, but I did notice it can be misleading while trying to gain all of the proper answers, since the question, "Can we talk a little bit more about the probe's program?" has different responses added after more specific questions are asked about the probes, so it can be easy for somebody to assume it's going to repeat the replies in the same way it usually does when asking aliens more background information. Once again, my stubborn thoroughness pays off!

Another interesting note that I'd like to add is how I find it curious that there really wasn't a possible way to "mess things up" during the dialogue sequence, so in other words, you can't anger the Slylandro, make an irreversible mistep or come up empty-handed, not unless you depart prematurely, that is.

Quasispatial wrote:
One has to wonder how the probe responsible for transmitting the self-destruct code to the other probes avoids being self-destructed in turn by the signal. All it would take is something to bounce it off, and suddenly you'd get a feedback error, destroying the probe itself. It is rather silly, when you think about it.
krulle wrote:
It may well be, that the returned probe got ptogrammed with a different self-destruct code, but I never encountered them in-game....

Hopefully they removed the device responsible for its own destruction before sending it out on probe clean-up... or gave it its own new code as krulle suggests.

Death 999 wrote:
It depends on the communications ability between probes, and how prompt the other probe's self-destruct is. Like, if they can communicate over fairly long distances on a special channel, then they could find each other easily without trying,

That makes sense, or maybe each probe has their own "GPS"1 (or rather IPS for Interstellar Positioning System?), making them much easier for the probe to track and locate them.

Death 999 wrote:
and if they don't self-destruct until they've infected, say, three other probes with the self-destruct code, or found thirty younger probes, that should cover it.

I presume the self-destruct code was written by the Melnorme themselves, not the Slylandro, because it works.

I like this method even better, although the Slylandro never mention that the single probe being sent would be capable of that type of recruitment, but it would defintely be much more efficient to complete the job quickly.

Come to think of it, I think it would be a shame if ALL of the probes are eventually destroyed (What am I saying?!) since the Slylandro depend on them to bring back stuff for them so they can talk about something more interesting than clouds. Maybe it would've been better if they somehow instead could've reprogrammed the messenger probe to recalibrate the replication priority settings each time it encounters a probe, passing along the duty in the same manner so the probes would finally play nice, but then again, if the Slylandro were left up to the task themselves, they probably would of screwed them up... again!

krulle wrote:
edit: don't forget to bring your ZFP friends the code... They've been complaining about the "pesky red probed" (iirc)

I'll be sure to drop by... maybe even catch a game of Frungy!

1Global Positioning System

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:02 pm 
Slylandro gasbags

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain’s Log - Jun 23, 2156 - Beta Corvi IV (“Source”) - Status: Green

We returned to Source several times more (and even checked out its moon, which turned out to be a worthless Urea world) but didn’t learn much of anything new, although the Slylandro were very pleased with each additional visit and were always willing to share more things with us, even if it was pretty much the same stuff over again, as long as we reciprocated and shared more about ourselves, which we were of course happy to do in the spirit of friendship.

We had many choices of what we could do next if we wanted to leave the system and immediately activate the Portal Spawner -- we could return to Starbase with our findings, or go to Epsilon Camelopardalis and open the Syreen vault by using portal 5, or go give the ZFP the probe destruct sequence code by using portal 9 to give us a direct shot to their homeworld but with minimum time travelling inside Ur-Quan space, or we could even seek out the elusive creature that Admiral ZEX wants in Delta Lyncis, since portal 1 puts us in an ideal position for such an endeavor.

As appealing as any and all of these selections were, I kept coming back to the recordings of everything the Slylandro told us about the strange planet that is supposedly in a nearby system of a pair of blue stars near our present location, which I assume would likely be Alpha and Beta Pegasi.

There would really be no need to use the Portal Spawner, even though portal 15 would send us to Arilou space a little more than a hundred sectors away, but the extra fuel consumption making either trip about the same in resource usage doesn’t really justify the additional and unnecessary strain on our valuable device, so we’ll simply stick with the “old-fashioned way” and fly there ourselves.

We have set course for Alpha Pegasi. Captain out.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain’s Log - Jun 24, 2156 - HyperSpace [033.5 : 975.1] (Just Outside Vega ) --- Condition: Red

We were cruising along on our merry way towards Alpha Pegasi, and suddenly from the downspin direction a bogey appeared on our sensors coming at us at high speed! I wrung my hands together as the sensors confirmed my hopes and anticipation. Oh, happy days and jubilation!! For the first time in my life I was actually pleased to see one of those god forsaken probes! What perfect timing!

As soon as their cute little octagonal robotic faces were on the viewscreen, proclaiming that “We come in peace.” I couldn’t help but bust out my best Dolph Lundgren impersonation by saying, “And you’ll go in pieces!” followed by “Activate the self-destruct button!!” and we watched in awe and delight as the probe self-detonated right into our resource unit chambers. Now THAT was satisfying!

We will resume course for Alpha Pegasi. Standing down from red alert. The party in the ship’s galley is scheduled for nineteen hundred hours, and I mean that in the literal sense, that is to say, the party is starting now and will last for that time duration, one thousand nine-hundred hours, or about a dozen rotations I guess. Zelnick out.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:28 pm 
Slylandro gasbags

Captain’s Log - Jul 4, 2157 - Alpha Pegasi - Status: Green

A foolish probe decided to follow us during our 10-day journey, tailing us once we had gone past Epsilon Corvi as we made our way through the Ophiuchus Constellation, and it’ll likely be waiting for us after we depart the system, and we’ll be sure to keep the auto-destruct transmitter on standby to take care of the minor nuisance as soon as we leave.

We have just arrived on the outskirts of the Alpha Pegasi System, and it’s an optical double star with 9 planets:

Planet 1 - Medium Cyan (temperate zone)
Planet 2 - Small Yellow
Planet 3 - Small Red (cool zone)
Planet 4 - Small Cyan
Planet 5 - Small Yellow
Planet 6 - Medium Cyan
Planet 7 - Small Green (cold zone)
Planet 8 - Small Green
Planet 9 - Cyan Gas Giant

Alpha Pegasi is one of two stars of the Pegasus stars, the other being Beta Pegasi, and the name Pegasus comes from Greek mythology, a winged horse which was born from the opened neck of the beheaded Medusa (almost like a nasty-looking PEZ dispenser) and was tamed by Bellerophon to fight against the Chimera, depicted in many forms, but most notably in the form of a lion with a goat’s head on its back with a serpent for a tail, and well-known for its growling, bleating, hissing as well as breathing fire:

Tell Me a Story: Bellerophon and Pegasus (a Greek legend) - Lifestyle* - recordonline.com - Middletown, NY
http://www.recordonline.com/article/200 ... /809220305

Alpha Pegasi is a surprisingly stable star system, considering the small blue star could be generating as much 100,000 kelvins, but our observation of the temperature zones of the planets in orbit estimate its temperature to be somewhere in the range of 5,000 to 8,000 kelvins. None of these planets, however, seem to be top candidates for the unusual planet the Slylandro told us about, but that’s only because of the presupposition that the strange world we’re seeking is in fact a Rainbow World, so then it would probably be a medium-sized innermost planet if the pattern holds for that type, but the world we’re searching for could be another unique planetary classification for all we know, since I don’t want us to make any assumptions.

We’ve added a planetary exploration path, starting with the outermost and working our way inwards.

We’ll set course for the 9th planet, the ice giant. Captain out.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:02 pm 
Slylandro gasbags

Captain’s Log - Jul 10, 2157 - Alpha Pegasi VIII

Alpha Pegasi System Summary:

Planet 9 - Moon 4 - Ultramarine World - class 3 tectonics - 4 noble gases
Planet 9 - Moon 2 - Radioactive World - 14 radioactive elements
Planet 9 - Cyan Gas Giant - 17.6 e.s.
Planet 9 - Moon 1 - Ultramarine World - 4 base metals, 2 noble gases & 4 lanthanides
Planet 9 - Moon 3 - Cyanic World - class 3 tectonics - 7 common minerals
Planet 7 - Cyanic World - 2 common minerals
Planet 6 - Xenolithic World - class 3 tectonics - 6 base metals & 3 precious metals - 13 biological lifeforms
Planet 6 - Moon 1 - Noble World - 3 common minerals & 6 noble gases
Planet 4 - Opalescent World - class 4 tectonics - 6 common minerals, 3 noble gases and 1 rare earth
Planet 1 - Organic World - class 6 tectonics - 12 common minerals - 9 biological lifeforms
Planet 2 - Lanthanide World - class 8 tectonics - 18 lanthanides
Planet 3 - Carbide World - 10 common minerals
Planet 5 - Treasure World - 13 precious metals
Planet 8 - Cyanic World - 6 common minerals

We didn’t find any bizarre planets while exploring this system, but we went ahead and scoured the surface of several of the more mineral rich planets. The 2nd moon of the 9th planet, for example, was filled with actinium, radium, francium, protactinium, and other radioactive metals, bringing our totals to 137 units.

Two of the planets in this system contained lifeforms: The 6th planet had 10 green bouncing balls and 3 jumping jack gummy bears, while the innermost world had 8 orange starbursts with cilia and a binocular-visioned pink bookworm (although we had to retry via the time portal after an earthquake claimed the life of a crewman when the lander was too careless and stopped to record some data), and we obtained 98 units of bio-data, bringing us to 362 units in total.

There were a ton of rare earth metals on the 2nd planet, but a few failed attempts after dealing with class 8 tectonics simply proved to be too frustrating, so I decided we could pass this planet up (after using the time portal to restore lost lives), but the 5th planet had much better conditions, and also a bunch of gold, silver, platinum and other precious metals, giving us a total of 197 units, but nearly filling the remainder of our solo cargo bay.

We will set course for Beta Pegasi. Zelnick out.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:29 pm 
Arilou wiseguy

You're flying horses!
That'll take a while to get around, then!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:50 pm 
Slylandro gasbags

Captain’s Log - Jul 12, 2157 - Beta Pegasi - Status: Green

We have arrived on the outside perimeter of the Beta Pegasi; Alpha Pegasi’s twin, a double star, and it has 5 planets:

Planet 1 - Medium Yellow (partially obscured / unknown temperature zone)
Planet 2 - Small Violet (cool zone)
Planet 3 - Small Yellow
Planet 4 - Small White
Planet 5 - Small Green (cold zone)

The probe is still approaching, but not yet within range, and it has stopped just outside the Alpha Pegasi system where it is undoubtedly scanning the region to re-establish our whereabouts, and will most likely resume an intercept course once we depart the system.

As soon as we entered this system and began scanning the planets, I quickly noticed that the innermost world is a medium-sized yellow planet, which meets the rainbow world classification prerequisite.

The outermost planet is in an independent ring, putting it much further from all of the others, and since we have a straight shot to the orbital interior, this time we’ll start with the first planet and work our way outwards.

We have set course for the 1st planet. Captain out.
Captain’s Log - Jul 15, 2157 - Beta Pegasi V

Beta Pegasi System Summary:

Planet 1 - Rainbow World - 606° C - class 4 weather - 8 common minerals & 9 radioactive elements
Planet 2 - Yttric World - class 4 tectonics - 3 base metals & 6 lanthanides
Planet 3 - Auric World - 16 precious metals
Planet 4 - Selenic World - 12 base metals
Planet 5 - Acid World - class 4 tectonics - 4 common minerals

I was pleased and disappointed at the same time when we discovered that the innermost planet is in fact a Rainbow World, but I was half-hoping that we would discover a whole new world. But perhaps it’s for the better, since we’ve already discovered 2 other worlds of this type, which must mean there are only 7 more to discover in this region of space.

However, as of yet we’re unable to determine an observable pattern with the star positions of the Rainbow Worlds we’ve already discovered, but I’ve informed stellar cartography to continue their research. The first two are not too far from each other in the area around Mycon space, but this recent discovery is out way too far for us make a connection. If there is a link between the placement of these strange worlds and the disappearance of the Precursors, I’d like to learn whatever happened to them.

The world itself held a significantly large portion of radioactive elements, including neptunium, thorium, and large quantities of actinium, and amazingly we suffered no casualties while braving through fiery hot spots and heavy lightning storms during our 2 trips to the surface.

The 2nd planet had a fair amount of lanthanides, but we had already removed anything less valuable than rare earth metals, so we had no more room for mining until we even got rid of them to make room for the massive supply of gold from the 3rd planet, an Auric World, bringing our totals to 240 precious metals and 260 radioactive metals.

Before returning back to Starbase, I’d like to check out Delta Lyncis to see if my prediction is correct and that the creature Admiral ZEX wants us to obtain is somewhere in that system, and we’ll of course use the Portal Spawner to make the journey a lot easier.

We will set course for the edge of the system. Zelnick out.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:07 pm 
Slylandro gasbags

Captain’s Log - Jul 19, 2157 - Delta Lyncis - Status: Green

As we approached the edge of the system, I placed us on yellow alert right before our HyperDrive engines engaged, since I knew the probe which had followed us all the way from Source would be waiting for us near Alpha Pegasi, but we still managed to evade it by using the Portal Spawner immediately once we reached HyperSpace, and as it neared weapons’ range… I mean, raw replication energy converter range, we entered the green portal which transported us into QuasiSpace, and it closed just before the probe could follow us, and then we set course for the far-left side to portal 1, which we used to take us to {565.8 : 971.2} and from there went straight for the nearest star.

And we have arrived on the outskirts of the Delta Lyncis System, which is a yellow dwarf with only 2 planets:

Planet 1 - Medium Blue (temperate zone)
Planet 2 - Small Violet (cold zone)

This star system shares some similarities with our own system of Sol, with the most notably being the star’s classification and size along with the innermost planet and its size, type and temperature range, making it very “Earth-like”, which of course also puts it immediately for contention of being the home of the rare (and perhaps the only of its kind) creature we are searching for ZEX.

We will set course for the 2nd planet. Captain out.
Captain’s Log - Jul 20, 2157 - Delta Lyncis I

Delta Lyncis System Summary:

Planet 2 - Pellucid World - Nothing of interest
Planet 1 - Water World - class 3 weather - 9 base metals - 11 biological lifeforms***

We briefly entered orbit of the 2nd planet, a Pellucid World, but it didn’t have anything on the surface; not even a small deposit of exotic minerals like they sometimes will, so we continued for the innermost planet.

We scanned the surface and noticed an abundance of lifeforms, but for some reason in my head I thought the lifeform we were looking for would have appeared on the energy reading, so at first, I thought we might be at the wrong planet.

I sent the lander crew to the surface with orders to conduct a survey of the life on the surface to see if any of the lifeforms could be the one we’re looking for, but they needed to be sure and make an assessment of the situation and return back to the ship if warranted.

The lander pilot chose a spot far from the highest concentration of lifeforms, but still in the midst of a few of them, which turned out to be a few clapping trees once they reached the ground.

There were more immobile lifeforms on the lander’s surface scan display, all of which were presumably more clapping trees, and there were other ones moving slowly along the surface at identical speeds, and were identified as the usual bluish-grey radial-tentacled creatures once one came into view, but there was one other green blip on the far side of the planet that was moving much faster, zig-zagging quickly along the surface in a somewhat random pattern.

The lander approached with caution in the direction of the fast-paced lifeform, following it as it moved away, trying to get a glimpse of what it looked like. Suddenly, as the lander began getting closer and almost in-range, the creature took notice and rapidly moved towards them. The mysterious lifeform closed the distance in a matter of seconds, and the landing team could see it with their own eyes as the scary-looking beastie came into view:

It had a very large green head…well, in fact, it was mostly head, which made it seem to levitate as it moved around, but closer observation revealed it had some long tendril-like appendages that looked like large green vines that whipped back and forth as it scooted swiftly menacingly towards the lander with nothing but ill intent in mind.

The frightening nature of its huge evil-looking large eyes were only matched by its enormous mouth, which held row after row of long razor-sharp teeth, and on top of its V-shaped head it had two pairs of twisted antlers, with the interior ones being a little more stubby than the outer horns, and they gave the ferocious beast a similar appearance as the Devil himself.

Speaking of the Devil, it roamed around looking for someone to devour (1 Pet 5:8), which just so happened to be our landing party! Yikes! In a proper panic, the away team launched from the surface before the fierce animal could arrive and rip everybody in the lander to shreds!

I wish I could say that everything went fine after that and we were able to devise a strategy that successfully subdued and retrieved the monster without any crew losses, but unfortunately, everything didn’t work out as planned...

Back on the surface for another attempt, the lander navigated through the hazardous clapping trees and moved towards the beast, essentially using itself as bait, and they opened fire with the stunner as it came within range. However, unlike with most other lifeforms, the stun cannon didn’t even phase this unusually powerful creature, and it kept coming like a runaway train straight through the shots, and soon as it got hold of the lander, it grabbed it with its giant mouth and slung it around, ejecting a few of the crew members in the process... and then it ate them.

Undeterred, I hit the time portal button and we tried again. Similar results…

We tried for a third time, and this time the landing team kept their distance and rapid-fired upon the beast with everything they had, and then retreated when it began to get too close, and then they turned about face as it neared again, but as they began firing a lightning bolt hit the lander, and due to so much of the lander’s auxiliary power being routed through the weapon systems the shields were unable to absorb the electrical blast and one of my crew was electrified instantly.

One final trip back through time and we finally achieved success, but it took many blasts from the stunner to finally bring that bulk of a creature to the ground and into a stasis field, and barely in time at that, as the surface report indicated:

---- REPORT FROM SURFACE ----

WE HAVE FINALLY TRAPPED THE HIDEOUS
BEAST WHICH HAS BEEN SO HARD TO CAPTURE
THESE PAST FEW DAYS.

I SWEAR, WE EMPTIED OUR STUN BATTERIES
INTO THAT THING OVER A DOZEN TIMES
BEFORE IT EVEN SLOWED DOWN. A FEW MORE
SHOTS TO ITS BARBED HEAD, AND IT WENT
DOWN, BUT WE HAD ONLY A FEW SECONDS TO

JUST DON’T WANT TO THINK ABOUT IT.

RETURNING TO SHIP.

---- END OF REPORT ----

Restraits? Well, after reviewing that report, one thing’s for certain... Lieutenant Cooper’s rank has just been reduced to Lt. Junior Grade after that misspelling.

We will send down the lander once again to retrieve the remaining lifeforms. Zelnick out.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:47 pm 
Arilou wiseguy

Congratulations to your away team, and I would commend them for promotions!

Also, seeing what this beast did in previous time runs, you should now how shocked and traumatized your team members are after having been lander to face with that creature.
Especially with that beast trying to tear apart the lander from the inside, despite being within a magnetic constrainment field and still under the influence of a heavy load of stunnners.

I would urgently advise you to overlook this minor spelling error.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1017 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95 ... 102  Next