Star Control Discussion Board

All About Star Control
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:01 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1017 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96 ... 102  Next
 Post subject: Re: About to try to beat Star Control 2...no spoilers!
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:15 pm 
Slylandro gasbags

krulle wrote:
I would urgently advise you to overlook this minor spelling error.

Perhaps you're right, the encounter with such a vicious beast may have left the officer's hands a little shaky as he prepared the report, but on second thought...

krulle wrote:
despite being within a magnetic constrainment field

Constrainment? That does it! :x You're demoted too krulle! :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:23 pm 
Arilou wiseguy

Sir, I deserve that. If alone for using the antiquated input method of keyboards, and for being distracted by my family calling me while I am typing.
Also remember please, while all of us speak and work in English while working on the StarBase or aboard your fabulous ship, most of us are not native speakers, and have been randomly selected by the Ur-Quan to serve aboard the StarBase. On Earth, English native speakers are only a minority, and I presume that the people living on Unzervalt were also quite a mix of different language speakers, and that the English as you sometime use it, forces us to use secretively a translator to translate non-English words you Unzervaltians (or do you prefer Vegans?) have started to mix into the simplified English you otherwise you.

Yes, I apologize. I could not decide between "magnetic containment field" and "magnetically contraining", and have chose a mixture that would've made my English teacher cry.

But I digress. I found it interesting you tried to avoid the probe. Cashing the high-value ressources is a simple matter of minutes, with little to no risk.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:03 pm 
Orz *camper*

krulle wrote:
...I found it interesting you tried to avoid the probe. Cashing the high-value ressources is a simple matter of minutes, with little to no risk.

That would be more accurate if you said "seconds" instead of "minutes" and just said "no risk." Using the destruct code instantly gives you the same resources from the probe as if you fought it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:15 pm 
Arilou wiseguy

I know, but you might always meet the probe that takes it as an offense that you tried to destroy it, and attacks you, because it got smarter and changed its code.

Anyway, in game it would've taken a few minutes, instead or real life seconds....

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:46 pm 
Yehat Revolutionist

On the topic of the Probes, what's the kill tally for those guys, anyway? How many have you blown up?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:51 pm 
Slylandro gasbags

krulle wrote:
Unzervaltians (or do you prefer Vegans?)

Unzervaltians will suffice, but most aliens who don't know any better call us Unzervaltlings, but never Vegans -- it would be like calling earth humans Solists, and it also infers we don't eat meat.

Quasispatial wrote:
On the topic of the Probes, what's the kill tally for those guys, anyway? How many have you blown up?

You've successfully stumped me Q. There was a time I could've given an exact number, since I used to record every trivial detail I encountered, and my many probe skirmishes were amongst those, but over time, when it became so annoyingly redundant, I turned over battle operations to the computer and discontinued tallying the results.

It definitely seems like that number should be thousands, but more realistically that number is probably somewhere between 100 and 200, with the latter mark representing battles that were reversed via the time portal due to battle incursions (since I would usually still go ahead and finish destroying the probe before resetting the game) or deliberate time reversal method, e.g. the Pkunk cryogenic missions.

Needless to say, I'm very, very, very happy to have that destruct code in my back pocket!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:15 pm 
Slylandro gasbags

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain’s Log - Supplemental:

We returned the landing team to the surface and they retrieved the rest of the lifeforms, but we’ve made sure to keep all the lifeforms obtained far away from the violent beast we’ve placed in a maximum security area so it doesn’t break free... or eat all the lifeforms and leave us with no bio-data!

We’re about to leave orbit and get underway. Captain out.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain’s Log – Supplemental:

Before we could leave orbit, I am already hearing reports from all over the ship... mostly from security.

Engineering developed a containment field in cargo bay to create a suitable and protected environment for the creature, but it has kept hurling itself into the field over and over and we started fearing it may injure itself, so we stunned it repeatedly until it went unconscious.

We’ll try putting it in the ship’s brig. Zelnick out.

Our brig is unfortunately equipped with a washing basin, which the monster has ripped from the wall with its teeth in a manner of minutes, and the entire chamber has begun to fill up with water.

Captain out.

The static field door of the brig zapped the beast with electrical discharges until it went unconscious, and we had to remove it before it drowned.

We have converted one of the crew quarters into an emergency temporary holding cell. We’ll see if that works. Zelnick out.

The crew quarters approach isn’t working…

The crazy thing keeps knocking against the walls and screeching and howling to the point where none of the crew were getting any sleep, and even worse, sooner or later it’s probably going to break down one of the walls and start eating the crew, so we’d better do something… stat!

Captain out.

We have converted one the inner pylon ducts into an isolated compartment and installed containment field inductors to maintain a well-secured force field to keep the creature contained:

We’ve also stationed an Orz security officer with one of their laser tridents, which has been converted into a triple prong tazer to give the beast a quick jolt for whenever it gets out of line... which is often.

We shall return to Starbase. Captain out.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:55 pm 
ZFP Peacekeeper

When I reached that point, we just levitated it in the middle of the cargo room. It flailed about and roared, but it didn't have anything to push against.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:17 pm 
Slylandro gasbags

Death 999 wrote:
When I reached that point, we just levitated it in the middle of the cargo room. It flailed about and roared, but it didn't have anything to push against.

But weren't you worried that the weightless environment would make it dizzy and then it might start vomiting everywhere?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:44 pm 
Arilou wiseguy

I remember having feared that a timer is connected to the beast being onboard of the ship, and went as fast as my engines could to StarBase (scientists report), then over to the guys who have that name.

Also, I transported the beast into the purple decoy capsules of an Eluder. They've been built to take the damage, without risking the ship itself. So I presumed the connecting strut is being able to be vacuumized, thus providing a perfectly separated safety hold.
On top of that, I transferred most of the crew over to BumpingTool, and again, Fwiffo took the short Pootha (?)Ta Puun stick and was the one left behind.

He is black Spathi Squandron material, he just doesn't know it.

(BTW, I found the in-game artifact's name very spoilerish)

edit:correction done (ta puun stick, inserted image and referred to the correct decoy in singular)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1017 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96 ... 102  Next