About to try to beat Star Control 2...no spoilers!

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

palmpet
Ilwrath torturer
Location: Hillopia, currently imprisoned in Invictler Slave Hive.

Re: About to try to beat Star Control 2...no spoilers!

Post by palmpet » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:03 am

Man... It's amazing how much a voice can change how you think of a race. When I first played though on the HD mod the Utwig were given a deep depressed voice and that made everything they say seem solemn and wise.
"What's the point in being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes."

krulle
Ilwrath spawn

Post by krulle » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:55 am

Solemn was always in the Utwig for me (the music did that pretty well).
But wise never got in, especially not by the voice.
It actually added more "depression" and "need for being left alone" ("go away!") than the music did.

It may be me, but back then that caused a "get away, they're more trouble than worth" for me, nowadays I get attracted to push my help on them.
Nothing in life can destroy your fun as much as a depression...

Quasispatial
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Quasispatial » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:00 am

The Troglodyte wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:43 am
I still can’t help but keep wondering though, “How could the Precursor computer know about my childhood pet?”
Think about it. Your ship has a time machine, allowing you to go backwards in time... yet at the same time, you can still recall what happened. The actual events that were reversed haven't happened, and your body hasn't been left behind to wherever the ship was pre-timewarp, so it can't simply be a case of your body not time-warping - you're just as reversed as everything else. Something has to provide for the memories and mental state that haven't "happened", and if the time machine is going to do its job like that, it needs to be able to store the memories in question for later re-applying. From that point, it is not at all unreasonable to draw the conclusion that it can also read the rest of your memory, which the main computer's translation software can then utilize when providing suggestions. Same reason how it knew what you'd named the ship without actually asking you about it.

Anyway, glad to see you're in a better state. Been looking forward to the Utwig for a long while, so this is certainly exciting. We shall see how things go, hmm?
"Sentient life. We are the Ur-Quan. Independence is intolerable. Blah, blah, blah." - the Spathi High Council, Star Control II.

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:36 pm

The Troglodyte wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:43 am
How could the Precursor computer know about my childhood pet?
You used this computer a lot as a kid. It was there for all that stuff. Given your penchant for diarization, I would be shocked if you didn't write about it at length.

Which reminds me - did you ever read the intro text from the manual? The bit with the professor who was taking credit for your achievements, etc.?

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:46 pm

Ah, the Utwig. As others have mentioned, I always imagined their lines read in solemn, dignified resignation of their fate. Suffice to say, that was back when I was playing the DOS version, which had no voiceovers. The voice actor clearly took a different approach to their line readings. It's made the Utwig voice the most infamous and controversial in the game, where people seem to either love it or hate it with no middle ground.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:38 am

Quasi, I love your explanation of how the Precursor computer would have scanned my brain and drawn out my memories. An interesting viewpoint, especially from the position that the computer would utilize temporal mechanics to piece together my childhood. Death offers the conclusion that all of this would be unnecessary, since if my detailed writing has been prevalent all along, then I suppose that a simple snooping through my diary would’ve provided all of its answers! And he’s probably right!

Death 999 wrote:Which reminds me - did you ever read the intro text from the manual? The bit the professor who was taking credit for your achievements, etc.?

Oh yes, I remember all that. Let’s see, there was the creation, enslavement and exodus of the Androsynth. Then the Ur-Quan invasion and the arrival of the Chenjesu and how the rest of the Alliance came to be and got involved, and of course the scientific mission to Vela where we found the Precursor caves, and the construction of the Vindicator and our trip back to earth, where unfortunately Captain Burton was killed, never knowing how much my loins had longed for her ever since my prepubescent days. Ok, maybe that last but was a little too forthcoming.

Then there was that big, huge complicated computer we found deep in the caves, but being the special, talented yet precocious child prodigy I was (and don’t forget humble!) so I had no trouble figuring out to operate the main computer. I mean… it was as if the thing had been waiting a long, long time down in that Vela II cavern just for me to stumble upon it. That was when I met that bastard Professor Farnsworth, who kept bribing me Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups if I’d let him take all the credit for knowing how to operate the computer. Hey! What was I supposed to do? Boy genius or not, I LOVE me some Reese’s cups!!

Concerning the Utwig’s voice, since several have made mention of it, I decided to replay some of the dialogue sequences without the volume on and going solely on the content of the Utwig’s discussion I can easily see why people could see their demeanor as being more solemn. As for my reaction, although I mostly find the their voice fairly on the annoying side, I exaggerated the effect since during my first encounter I had the volume set at a higher volume than normal (something I like to do when approaching a new situation to really increase the dramatics) and their high-pitch screechy tones made me quickly turn it down a notch. My wife even noticed their whiny voice from the other room and said they sounded like a bad Muppet character.
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

krulle
Ilwrath spawn

Post by krulle » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:14 am

The Troglodyte wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:38 am
My wife even noticed their whiny voice from the other room and said they sounded like a bad Muppet character.
Ah.. That explains so much about SC3.....
Those really were inspired by SC2 then...

palmpet
Ilwrath torturer
Location: Hillopia, currently imprisoned in Invictler Slave Hive.

Post by palmpet » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:48 pm

krulle wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:14 am
The Troglodyte wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:38 am
My wife even noticed their whiny voice from the other room and said they sounded like a bad Muppet character.
Ah.. That explains so much about SC3.....
Those really were inspired by SC2 then...
Y'know that reminds that I actually prefer the SC3 Utwig voice.
"What's the point in being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes."

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:45 am

Don’t get me wrong about the Utwig, for I have enjoyed interacting with them and their voice hasn’t ruined anything for me per say. It’s just that the way they talk in such a high-pitch whiny tone and annunciate and place stress on certain words weirdly, plus they elongate the words in such a way that makes the conversation drag on, and for somebody who has to repeat these conversations multiple times, it has taken its toll.

(Meanwhile…)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain’s Log - Feb 2, 2158 - Zeta Hyades - Yellow Alert

After our conversations with the Utwig space patrols, we brought up the starmap and examined the Utwig’s sphere of influence, but at the same exact time it showed the Supox area of space as well, even though the Utwig only mentioned them briefly.

The Supox region is a significantly smaller controlled patch of space but it is fairly close by, and I’ve plotted their points on my own map (and the Thraddash too, since I had neglected to add them yet) as we continue our endeavors:

We have finished our journey from the interior of Utwig space and have just entered the Zeta Hyades System, which is a yellow dwarf star with 9 planets:

Planet 1 - Small Yellow (cool zone)
Planet 2 - Small Yellow
Planet 3 - Small Red (cold zone begins)
Planet 4 - Small Yellow
Planet 5 - Medium Blue
Planet 6 - Green Gas Giant (Utwig Bomb location?)
Planet 7 - Small Red
Planet 8 - Small Red
Planet 9 - Small Yellow

As is the case with most Greek mythology, there is often differing views or stories depicting the various characters of folklore and their stories told, but it has been generally accepted that the word ‘Hyades’ (which means “the rainy ones”) is the designation given to the five sisters of Atlas, and according to the legend, after Hyas was killed in some hunting accident (I assume he should’ve been wearing one of those orange vests to not be mistaken for a deer) and his nymph sisters wept over him and they were latter scattered in the heavens as the Hyades cluster, which ironically looks like raindrops falling from the space heavens.

Along with my meaningless Hyades research, I also reviewed the Utwig dialogue (text only; audio playback was cancelled) and I’ve determined that the Utwig’s development has some parallels with the Vulcan peoples. Like the Vulcan, the Utwig recognized and wished to purge their primitive emotions from their being, but instead of focusing their attention on training their minds to suppress their emotions while filling the void with an inundation of logic, the Utwig had a simpler approach: Don’t display the emotion, and then it can never be outwardly revealed by simple display of body language or facial expression, but rather only through direct communication.

Unlike Vulcans, the Utwig do not resist or deny their emotional condition, and they make no effort to lobotomize their feelings like our pointed-eared fictitious friends do, but instead they approach it with the discernment to only outwardly express yourself by making a concerted effort by switching your facial covering to reflect your position.

I doubt the Vulcan would agree that the Utwig’s approach is as truly effective as their own, but I’m sure they could see the logic in its application, and therefore would likely appreciate their attempt to control their emotions, unlike us humans who tend to embrace and cherish them. That is, if Vulcans were an actual race like the Utwig and not just made up for fun and entertainment, and also if the Utwig’s primary emotion of depression wasn’t being expressed so widespread.

We will proceed directly to the suspected destination, but I believe that we will be met by some kind of Utwig greeting party as edge our way closer to Zeta Hyades VI-b. Why Zeta Hyades VI-b, you ask? Well, let me tell you… the Utwig told us exactly the location of where they’re keeping their bomb, including giving us the name of the star and its exact spatial coordinates (in case there was some confusion) including the planet and moon designation, and they even drew out a map showing where to go on the surface to find it. Ok, maybe not that last part. We will set course for Zeta Hyades VI-b. All things considered, we are going to Yellow Alert. Captain out.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain’s Log - Feb 3, 2158 - Zeta Hyades VI-b - Red Alert

The rumors are true. The Utwig are indeed the keepers of the bomb we seek, which according to the Chmmr we must obtain if we have any hope or chance whatsoever of having the capability of destroying the Ur-Quan's Sa-Matra.

As one might have predicted, there was a massive horde of Utwig Juggers waiting for us in orbit… well, admittedly, they weren’t just waiting for us, I mean, I’m not narcissistic to the point where I’d actually believe that the Utwig deployed Juggers just because we happened along. Anyways, regardless, when we asked them for the bomb… they weren’t having it! No matter how nicely we asked!

We asked a few questions about the bomb, and they told us all about how they had discovered it lying around an abandoned Precursor installation, and going by the manner in which the ancient writing text was written all around it, and through other analysis I assume, they determined it was definitely a bomb, possibly a planeteering tool used for removing unwanted moons (or according to some Utwig we spoke to it could possibly even remove unwanted galaxies, although I seriously doubt it can go to those extremes).

We repeatedly tried different approaches to obtain the bomb, but the Utwig continued to refuse our requests. And believe me, we tried everything. As already stated, simply asking for it wasn’t going to work, so we tried negotiation, but there was no price or accommodation that would suffice. Begging, pleading, or saying ‘pretty please’ had no effect, nor did offering gifts and making promises of any describable reimbursement. All efforts continued to fall short.

Making demands and threats had the type of response one might expect, and I cancelled any subsequent Utwig incursions, stopping them in their tracks with a quick tap on the time machine button as numerous aggressive Juggers moved in to defend their bomb. From the Utwig’s perspective it must’ve seemed like we were trying to take their single-chambered revolver from them, and all they wish to do is the thing handy for when they decide to play some Russian roulette!… with a full chamber!

After repeated attempts, followed by an equal amount of repeated failures, we have decided to depart this system. Since we’re in the neighborhood so to speak, we’ll head over into Supox-controlled space and try to track some of them down.

We really don’t have any information collected on the Supox, except that they're supposed to be friends and allies of the Utwig, so perhaps they’ll have some insights to help us gain some traction in the direction of getting the bomb. Who knows? Maybe the Supox will recognize our great need and will speak on our behalf of the Utwig proctors and convince them to fork it over! Besides, the most the Utwig could ever accomplish with the bomb is gathering all of their people around it and destroy their entire population faster than a huge herd of lemmings hyped up on caffeine set upon on a quarter-mile wide, 2-mile high island precipice!

There are 2 star systems nearest to us right on the outside perimeter of Supox space, and one of these stars, Delta Librae, is right on the border, so we can start there. We will set course for Delta Librae. Zelnick out.
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:16 am

Captain’s Log – Feb 8, 2158 – Delta Librae – Status: Green

We ran into a few more Utwig vessels on our way towards Delta Librae (and unfortunately, I mean that literally, since we accidentally didn’t engage our reverse engines in time to bring us to full stop, but we bounced harmlessly off their ships since the Utwig raised their shields in time, but our ship took a little damage to the starboard side, so the tennis tournament planned this evening will have to be cancelled) but during each encounter there weren’t any communications options except for us to terminate talks, as there were no other recommendations from the Vindicator’s translation computer. I’m thinking the Utwig even have our computers feeling depressed.

After repeatedly terminating communications in a civil, yet efficient manner, we continued onward to the Delta Librae System, which we have just arrived in moments ago, and it’s an orange dwarf star with 2 orange gas giants, both of which are in the cold zone.

I thought about talking about Libra more, but after weighing the consequences, I decided against it. Ba-dum-bum. I should scale those jokes back a little. Hey-o!

After placing a time portal, we shall explore this system to see if we can find any Supox who could be inside this star system, beginning with the 2nd planet. Captain out.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain’s Log – Feb 9, 2157 - Delta Librae I

Delta Librae System Summary:

Planet 2 – Moon 1 – Urea World – class 7 tectonics – 6 common minerals – 2 biological lifeforms1
Planet 2 – Orange Gas Giant – 211.0 e.s.
Planet 1 – Orange Gas Giant – 20.7 e.s.

1We found a pair of walking hedges with eyeballs, and luckily we didn’t incur any casualties from them or the multitude of earthquakes while capturing the lifeforms.

Even though Delta Librae had 2 gas planets for us to explore, there was only one planet capable of landing on, and since we still have the free 500 units of bio-data we received from the Umgah (right before they decided to attack us for the fun of it (and gave us a free Drone to makes the battle more interesting, which subsequently has remained strangely loyal)) we have activated the time portal to put us at the point where we had first entered system and then we’ll be on our way towards the nearby star Epsilon Librae. Zelnick out.
Captain’s Log – Feb 9, 2158 - Epsilon Librae – Status: Green

We have just arrived at Epsilon Librae, but this white dwarf star system seems to only have one small orange planet in close orbit of its sun, placing it in a nice, warm temperate zone. We will set course for the planet, after we set a time portal entry point. Captain out.
Captain’s Log – Supplemental:

The planet turned out to be a Metal World with class 7 weather, class 4 tectonics, 4 corrosive elements, 10 base metal deposits and 2 precious metals.

We will use the time portal again and set course for the star, but this time we’ll be going deeper into Supox territory. We will set course for Gamma Librae. Zelnick out.
Captain’s Log – Feb 11, 2158 - Gamma Librae – Yellow Alert

We were almost intercepted by some alien ships (perhaps even Supox vessels) but we were still on auto-pilot and passed by the unknown bogey and continued towards our destination:

Gamma Librae is an orange dwarf star with a green gas giant in a far orbit, placing it in the cold zone. There is also a ship or ships on sensors, and from our Vindicator’s alien ship identification analysis system this appears to be Supox:

We will set an intercept course for the Supox contingent. We are going to Red Alert. Captain out.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------