About to try to beat Star Control 2...no spoilers!

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

krulle
Ilwrath torturer

Re: About to try to beat Star Control 2...no spoilers!

Post by krulle » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:43 am

I like the PEZ image you found!

How filled are your fuel tanks?
What are your Shofixti currently doing? They respawn so fast, (like Tribbles), you could try to deplete the Druuge food reserves by selling a small group of Shofixti to them.... (still not a honourable thing to do, but the trade becomes rather cheap with these uplifted animals on board - oh wait, that made me sound racist, did it not?)

Still intending to go through the comments later to see what the spoiler tags meant?
You'll find out what the Melnorme meant, if you visit the Burvixese homeworld (of which the Melnorme told you about, for a small fee), and prepare for the trade the Druuge offer. It's nowhere necessary at this point in game, but it is fun, and a more memorable point in the game, and the Portal Spawner makes it easy to go back and forth to be prepared. Gives you a nice stack of RU to use, should you still want some.

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:44 pm

The Troglodyte wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:01 am
There was one item that they sold that didn’t cost 100 crew; that being their fuel, which sell at a rate of 10 crew per 10 units. Ridiculous, and it also makes me ponder why the Melnorme claimed the Druuge practically gave away fuel!
Compare the RU cost of 1 crew and 1 fuel.

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:53 pm

Death 999 wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:44 pm
The Troglodyte wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:01 am
There was one item that they sold that didn’t cost 100 crew; that being their fuel, which sell at a rate of 10 crew per 10 units. Ridiculous, and it also makes me ponder why the Melnorme claimed the Druuge practically gave away fuel!
Compare the RU cost of 1 crew and 1 fuel.
You are doubly cruel, knowing full well what will happen to those crew costs if he starts actually slave trading enough. :P-smf

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:58 pm

Shofixti supply overrides that, and I think he's either got that or will soon.

Quasispatial
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Quasispatial » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:53 am

Death 999 wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:58 pm
Shofixti supply overrides that, and I think he's either got that or will soon.
Actually as far as I know, the Shofixti doesn't hard-override the cost. The Shofixti sets the cost to one fifth. The Druuge 'effect' triples it. As far as I recall, when both are in effect you get an effective crew cost of 3 RUs. Of course, that's still cheaper than the 5 RU original.
"Sentient life. We are the Ur-Quan. Independence is intolerable. Blah, blah, blah." - the Spathi High Council, Star Control II.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:45 am

krulle wrote:Still intending to go through the comments later to see what the spoiler tags meant?
Oh, yeah! Especially now since as you can see their occurrence rate has risen over time, so there will be much to cover!
krulle wrote:I like the PEZ image you found!
Actually, all of those pics were taken by yours truly. I even bought the mushroom painting at a garage sale. Who knows?… it could be worth millions! And now that I’m looking at it closer, the PEZ dispenser also looks rather phallic, come to think of it.
krulle wrote:They respawn so fast, (like Tribbles), you could try to deplete the Druuge food reserves by selling a small group of Shofixti to them....
Interesting, although I seriously doubt that selling the Druuge your crew in any shape or form has such fortunate results.
Death 999 wrote:Compare the RU cost of 1 crew and 1 fuel.
Hmmm… well, now that you mention it… (I’ll leave it at that, for now!)

(Meanwhile…)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain’s Log – Supplemental:

Before leaving Druuge space, I decided we should revisit their planet a few times (you know, to check and see if there’s any weekend sales going on!) and after visiting with some of the other merchants, we learned a few more tidbits about Druuge culture.

One item of interest is their laws concerning unarmed starships. They basically capture or destroy any ship which is unable to defend itself, hiding behind what they call “Druuge Statute 3429 – subsection A86: Definition of Starship Derelicts” which states that any ship without proper defenses should be considered available as salvage for anybody who wishes to stake their claim to it. It’s pretty much legalized piracy. I’m sure the same goes on their homeworld; if you don’t have a sidearm, it must mean you’re inviting a good mugging… and the Druuge are only too happy to oblige!

We visited more trade outposts, and one of the merchants even talked about their religious beliefs. Yes, the Druuge are actually religious! Very devout followers of their god, in fact! It was certainly interesting to discover that the Druuge believe that they actually have undergone a contract with God, and the terms state that as long as the Druuge uphold their end of the bargain by praying to God routinely, constructing big structures to demonstrate sincere dedication, sway non-believers into becoming believers, and don’t have other contracts with other gods, then God will provide continued existence and a substantial life followed by the promise of some sort of life after death. (with the possibility of the occasional miracle sprinkled in)

They expressed such fidelity and devotion to their livelihood, their faith, their duty and their loyalty to living the ideal Druuge life that it made me contemplate how far their allegiance and devotion to duty really went, considering that we’ve heard how they chunk members of their crew into the furnace to replenish energy during a battle. Are they tossed… or do they walk? Yeah, pretty sure whatever’s controlling those hanging mechanisms they’re all dangling from takes care of the fuel grade select.

I recall an old Star Trek episode called “A Taste of Armageddon” where 2 planets were at war, only the war was done by computers, whereas attacks were calculated and programmed into a (literal) war machine and the results were transmitted to the opposing world, and their citizens would simply walk into the nearest incineration chamber whenever their city was targeted and declared to have been bombed. No bombs. No destruction. Just lots of death. Citizens lining up and walking into death chambers simply because their government told them. The opposing civilizations had given up on the idea of peace and admitted to themselves that they were barbaric, so their solution was to do war with computers so it wasn’t so… uh, messy. Kirk showed them the error of their ways by blowing up their computers! That sure showed ‘em! I mean, if you’re gonna have war, you might as well do it right -- with blood and guts! Oops! Spoiler alert!

Also, come to think of it, there was even a NextGen episode where the people from a planet would have a ceremony where they put to death their family members when they reached the age of retirement so they wouldn’t be a burden to their children by growing old and decrepit and eventually dying from natural causes, and the elderly are all too happy to have their special death party! Some retirement plan, eh? Anyways, it all just makes me wonder if the Druuge’s obedience goes as far. (and I can only hope my crew would be so loyal when the time comes)

Perhaps it’s time for us to head home. Captain out.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

Stickman_king_28
Silly Supox

Post by Stickman_king_28 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:02 pm

Welp, with that rosy sphere, we can get our hands on a 90-parsec blast radius space nuke.
Soo... What were primitive ur-quan like? I just love to speculate about my favorite slave-master caterpillars. That wheezy voice acting tho
I have legal bulls**t phobia

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:20 pm

On the question of whether there will be no complications whatsoever, I am sure.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:51 am

Captain’s Log – Feb 20, 2158 – Zeta Persei 1 – Status: Green

I’ve gone ahead and returned us to green status, since staying at yellow alert for as long as we did put the crew on edge, so I figure these Druuge guys aren’t too much to worry about. It would seem my brilliant diplomacy has actually paid off!

Besides, we’ve built some pretty good trade relations and to tell you the truth, I think I’ve really started figuring out how to haggle with these guys, and I dare say I’ve gotten the better out of more than a few Druuge on these barter exchanges. I mean, we’ve got the Rosy sphere we set after, plus a Druuge Mauler warship in our back pocket!

So, I’ve decided to stick around for a time longer and see what other trade deals I can land. Captain out.
Captain’s Log – Supplemental:

I am so irate and can’t even handle it! That lousy Druuge is going to get what’s coming after what just happened! I get inside the trade post and head to the nearest trading lounge and met with one of the market buyers, who said he was interested in my Quasi Portal Spawner, but I told him it wasn’t for sale.

However, I left our valuable prize on the trade selection screen and accidentally pressed the button to confirm the exchange. I tried to explain that the trade was preposterous, since because I’d already filled my last ship slot with a recently purchased Mauler ship (with our 2nd Mycon Egg Case) so the trade should be considered invalid.

Boy was I wrong! According to trade law, since they were able to meet their end of the bargain, which states they would give us the number of ships agreed upon (that being three) that we could accept (that unfortunately being zero) and the amount of fuel we could accept (which amounted to about fifty units to top off our tanks).

So, the final outcome: They bought our Quasi Portal Spawner for a measly 50 units of fuel! The Druuge thief exclaimed in delight he was going to take the rest of the day off for his good fortune! Bastard!

I will get my revenge! Zelnick out!
Captain’s Log – Feb 21, 2158 – Zeta Persei – Near Planet IV – Yellow Alert

I found him. That rat fink of a sorry excuse for swindling lying piece of… Well, that just about covers it. Anyway, he’s about to die. We are going to Red Alert. Lock all weapons. Captain out.
Captain’s Log – Feb 22, 2158 – Zeta Persei – Near Planet III – Red Alert

Uh… I think maybe that wasn’t such a bright idea! Before we could destroy the Druuge who stole my vortex spawner out from under me, he sent out a distress call to his Druuge buddies and they’ve surrounded us! Battle Stations! Zelnick out.
Captain’s Log – Feb 23, 2158 – Zeta Persei V – Condition: Dead

Uh… as you can see, things didn’t go so well, but we fought the Druuge for as long as possible, and I decided (being the brave leader I am) to send in each vessel based on crew size, starting from smallest to largest, without any transfers between battles and fighting the remainder of ships with the Vindicator.

(A quick side note: Strangely enough, we visited the Druuge trade world and resumed trading as if nothing had ever occurred otherwise.)

Battle 1:
Shofixti – 0 kills
Arilou – 3 kills

Battle Summary: The Scout severely damaged the first Mauler, but only by means of self-destruction, so the Skiff finished it off, along with the remaining 2.

Battle 2:
Arilou – 4 kills

Battle Summary: The Arilou continues to roll. (several near misses!)

Battle 3:
Arilou – 3 kills (simultaneous death!)

Battle Summary: Point-blank shot to the face as the Skiff finished off the Mauler, but not fast enough to teleport in time!

Battle 4:
Pkunk – 1 kill
Thraddash – 1 kill

Battle Summary: The Fury took down 1 Mauler, but got some long distance blastings from the second (and no resurrection) so the Thraddash showed up and torched the Mauler quick.

Battle 5:
Thraddash – 0 kills
ZFP – 1 kill

Battle Summary: The Torch was already low on crew, having taken a hit in the previous skirmish, and right out of the gate it took a hit and was destroyed, so the ZFP Stinger arrived and destroyed the Mauler, but not before taking heavy damage.

Battle 6:
ZFP – 0 kills
Umgah – 0 kills
Syreen – 0 kills
(Tuuga) Druuge – 1 kill
Orz – 2 kills
Earthling – 1 kill

Battle Summary: The Stinger whittled the 1st Druuge down to a scarce crew, but was finally destroyed by a solid hit, and the Umgah Drone was unable to get close enough with its antimatter cone before it was a goner, and the Syreen couldn’t steal but a few crew, and never was able to get in the final shot before it was gunned down. Even before her proper christening, our own Druuge ship (with Captain Tuuga commanding) finally destroyed the pesky Mauler, but it was destroyed by the 2nd after an equal exchange of fire. The Orz finished off the 2nd and 3rd Druuge with its space marines, but after unleashing them again, it didn’t have enough crew to sustain any damage, so it was blasted with most of its crew outside the ship, so the Earthling Cruiser bombarded the Mauler with nukes for the hard-fought victory.

Battle 7:
Earthling – 2 kills (simultaneous death!)
Yehat – 1 kill

Battle Summary: At first it seemed like the Cruiser was going to cruise to victory after taking out the 1st Mauler with ease, but the 2nd started hitting it several times in a row and destroyed the Earth ship as it too was destroyed. The Yehat took down the final Mauler with little trouble.

Battle 8:
Yehat – 3 kills

Battle Summary: The Terminator terminated all 3 Maulers, but she sustained considerable damage.

Battle 9:
Yehat – 3 kills (simultaneous death!)
Spathi – 0 kills
Vindicator – 1 kill

Battle Summary: The Yehat, even with low crew, was still tenacious with their attacks and unrelentingly pursued the Druuge until 3 of their ships were destroyed, but unfortunately the Terminator ship couldn’t get the shields up in time and was finally destroyed. Captain Fwiffo has been right all along in telling me the StarRunner is much better served for crew replenishment purposes when it comes to combat situations, and due to the outcome of the Spathi not being able to destroy one Druuge ship, I’ll agree with him! The Vindicator swooped in and finished off the Mauler.

Battle 10:
Vindicator – 1 kill

Battle Summary: The Vindicator destroyed the lone Druuge Mauler, but not before taking heavy damage in the form of several consecutive hits to the side by their big cannon, especially since we’ve determined the Vindicator’s Point-Defense Laser has been rendered useless against the dense projectile.

Battle 11:
Vindicator - 1 kill

Battle Summary: Which brings us full-circle back to the final pre-battle picture for the Vindicator and crew before their last stand against the Druuge fleet. Luckily for us, I pressed the time travel button just before our imminent destruction, of course.

I’m not going back to Zeta Persei anymore. Bunch of cheap skates and con-artists! I’m going home… for real this time! Captain out.
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

krulle
Ilwrath torturer

Post by krulle » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:37 am

That was.... fun to read, but surely rather stressful with the outlook of having lost the portal spawner, thus the quick travelling through QuasiSpace...

Good you have your time portal.